Gaming on this laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

player123

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Hi! :) I am thinking of buying a laptop with the following specs:

AMD Turion 64ML-30 64bit Processor (1.6GHz)
512MB DDR RAM
60GB Hard disk
ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 PCI-Express 128mb shared memmory

do you think i will be able to play games on it for example Half-Life 2. Would that run smoothly on a laptop with such specs.
Thanks!

I have a Compaq that is close to that one with the X200. It plays BF2. But if you do a lot of gaming you want a Laptop with a better Vid card. Frame rate on BF2 is slow. But better than my ole TI4200.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I would also suggest buying a laptop with a better vid card and possibly more ram as well. The less you have to read from the HD the better for gaming. I also hope that HD is a 7200 rpm one not a 5400rpm.

G

With shared vid memory I'd say nay to gaming on this laptop...

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You may want to get a dedicated graphics card to enjoy Windows Vista, and Vista Aero, which is going to be the next BIG thing with O.S.'s (supposedly). You must have a dedicated graphics card with D.X. 9 compatability...

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Window Vista Aero
Excerpt from Microsoft's page:
Windows Vista is the first Windows operating system that has a user experience that can gracefully scale to the hardware capabilities of the computer it is installed on. All computers that meet minimal hardware requirements will see the Windows Vista Basic user experience, which provides the benefits of the refined interface features already mentioned.

Windows Vista Aero provides spectacular visual effects such as glass-like interface elements that you can see through.
Windows Aero is an environment with an additional level of visual sophistication, one that is even more responsive and manageable, providing a further level of clarity and confidence to Windows users.
AERO Graphics Card Requirements
Firstly AERO is the name given to the new Vista Shell, Windows Presentation Foundation is the graphics subsystem which delivers the sharper new pictures.

Naturally the speed of the card and the amount of memory will affect performance, particularly with games and movies. Try and avoid low-spec cards, for example, nVidia 5200 and ATI 9200, where possible, choose high-end 6800 or X800. Apparently if you have an old graphics card, Vista and Windows Presentation Foundation are clever enough to emulate the better cards, so at least you get the AERO effect - if a little more slowly in the case of games.

DX9 Pixel Shader 2.0 cards will give crisp results. Pixel shaders come from the games world, they give the texture and fade effects which give AERO its personality.

I was wondering once everyone got a 2.0 Ghz computer why they would ever need to upgrade (I am talking about the mom and pop's out there). Internet surfing and Word documents are easily man handled with such a system... now we have the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.