AMS DMX 15-80s Toroid primary

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 18, 2005 2:21:46 AM

Does anyone know if the toroid in this unit can be wired for 120VAC it
is now set up for 220 European style.

Thanks

-Chuck
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:07:03 PM

cs@guavatone.com wrote:

> Does anyone know if the toroid in this unit can be wired for 120VAC it
> is now set up for 220 European style.

Does it have a 'split' primary winding ( 4 wires rather than two ? ) ?

If it does you're in business. Otherwise it means a replacement.

Graham
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:24:48 PM

<cs@guavatone.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if the toroid in this unit can be wired for 120VAC it
> is now set up for 220 European style.
>

> Thanks
>
> -Chuck

The toroid normally has 4 input wires coloured brown orange yellow and
green. If your unit has these too then it should be easily converted to 110
volts. These 4 wires are the ends of 2 separate input windings. For 110v
you will need to parallel them together and uprate the input fuse rating by
100%.

I have an RMX arriving next wek so if you need further help I can check mine
out ( same chassis and PSU etc).

Gareth.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:24:49 PM

In article <d6f8m0$8j1$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com> sound.service@btconnect.com writes:

> The toroid normally has 4 input wires coloured brown orange yellow and
> green. If your unit has these too then it should be easily converted to 110
> volts. These 4 wires are the ends of 2 separate input windings. For 110v
> you will need to parallel them together and uprate the input fuse rating by
> 100%.

When doing this, you need to know (or pay attention to) the color code
so you can connect the two wires of each winding "in phase." Connect
them incorrectly and you might end up with the two primary windings
bucking each other (inducing little or no current into the
secondaries) or connect two ends of the same winding together (zilch).

If the windings when connected in series for 240V are, for example

Brown Orange Yellow Green

| +---------+ |
| | | |
| | | |
uuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuu

You'd want to disconnect the orange wire from the yellow wire, and
tie the brown and yellow wires together (one side of the line) and the
orange and green wires together (other side of the line).

May 18, 2005 3:57:12 PM

OK, I uncovered a terminl strip next to the power switch that has a
brown wire(coming in from AC via PWR switch) that gets jumpered to
iether 115, 220 or 240 VAC. I'm all set! Just for the record these
toroids have a yellow, orange, green, and black wire for the primaries.

Tapping the primary for 115VAC is between the yellow and orange wires.
Green/orange=220. black/orange=240.

Toroid is Clifcrete LTD. Made in England I believe.

-I think these codes are different. Old Box? England?
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:20:28 AM

In article <1116393706.355851.64490@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<cs@guavatone.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know if the toroid in this unit can be wired for 120VAC it
>is now set up for 220 European style.

I don't, but a quick look at the primaries will tell you. If there are
two wires coming off going to the power connector, there isn't much to
be done. But if there are four wires of the same color that come off,
two of which go to the power connector and two of which are tied together,
it CAN be rewired for 110V.
--scott