MN-700 with more than 1 IP address

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just bought the MN-700 router. I currently have road
runner with 3 IP addresses coming in on the cable.
Should I drop 2 of these addresses before connecting the
MN-700 router or can I drop them later without confusing
the hardware?

One presumes that you mean that you are allowed by RoadRunner to request up
to 3 IP addresses (via DHCP). If this is the case, then you need not do
anything. The MN-700 will normally get it's WAN address via DHCP and will
simply get one of the 3. The other 2 will eventually expire from the DHCP
lease and remain available for you (the 3 are reserved for you by
RoadRunner).

Your Router hands out internal network addresses to the machines behind it
(192.168.x.x) - the idea of "multiple IP addresses from the ISP" was to
accommodate folks who don't want to mess with a router and just use a
(dumb+cheaper) hub instead...
Not all ISPs implemented the multiple IP address accommodation - some, like
mine (Rogers.com in Canada) even CHARGE $9.95/month for extra IP
addresses... yeah right.

HTH