MN-700 with more than 1 IP address

Just bought the MN-700 router. I currently have road
runner with 3 IP addresses coming in on the cable.
Should I drop 2 of these addresses before connecting the
MN-700 router or can I drop them later without confusing
the hardware?
1 answer Last reply
More about address

    One presumes that you mean that you are allowed by RoadRunner to request up
    to 3 IP addresses (via DHCP). If this is the case, then you need not do
    anything. The MN-700 will normally get it's WAN address via DHCP and will
    simply get one of the 3. The other 2 will eventually expire from the DHCP
    lease and remain available for you (the 3 are reserved for you by
    RoadRunner).

    Your Router hands out internal network addresses to the machines behind it
    (192.168.x.x) - the idea of "multiple IP addresses from the ISP" was to
    accommodate folks who don't want to mess with a router and just use a
    (dumb+cheaper) hub instead...
    Not all ISPs implemented the multiple IP address accommodation - some, like
    mine (Rogers.com in Canada) even CHARGE $9.95/month for extra IP
    addresses... yeah right.

    HTH

    "Greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just bought the MN-700 router. I currently have road
    > runner with 3 IP addresses coming in on the cable.
    > Should I drop 2 of these addresses before connecting the
    > MN-700 router or can I drop them later without confusing
    > the hardware?

Routers Hardware IP Address Networking