SSD holding OS seems broken, anyway to recover?

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
So the SATA connector on my old 64GB SSD snapped off, now it's become a crap shoot just trying to get the bios to recognize it. I've already accepted I'll need to RMA this one, and even bought a bigger replacement for it...

However due to the nature of my OS install I am a bit confused as to how I should go about reinstalling windows.

I'd put the main OS files (and drivers) on the SSD, while storing the users folders and everything else on my larger HD. Now however I am left with just my windows 7 install disc, and a 1TB harddrive I know has my user folders on it.

How should I go about installing it? Is there an easy way to simply use the already established folders and the like, instead of manually moving/deleting the old ones?

Thanks!

Solution
as long as the old hard drive is not plugged in. you can put a new copy of windows on the new ssd. you just have to reload your programs that were on it. some of the games and stuff on your data drive will have to be reinstalled if you put a clean image on the new ssd. what i find with snapped sats ports is get a sata cable with a ---- end and put the drive flat on a table. with the power off plug the straight cable in then use some tape and hold it onto the legs. if the legs are not snapped off inside the drive you can sometime get a drive to work for a bit.

most people use the ssd clone software that comes with most ssd now. all you have to do is clone the old 64g drive onto the new ssd and leave the data on the other drive. if the clone is good the data drive should still think the old ssd still there.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I'll have to try that, but atm the drive just wont seem to recognize. I am guessing it's because the pins are all warped. Is there either some way to maybe temporarily get connectivity even though the SSD is missing the little plastic guide thing?

And if not, when re-installing windows 7 onto the new SSD, is there a way to have windows use the old User folders/settings etc (As they should still all be on my HD)

as long as the old hard drive is not plugged in. you can put a new copy of windows on the new ssd. you just have to reload your programs that were on it. some of the games and stuff on your data drive will have to be reinstalled if you put a clean image on the new ssd. what i find with snapped sats ports is get a sata cable with a ---- end and put the drive flat on a table. with the power off plug the straight cable in then use some tape and hold it onto the legs. if the legs are not snapped off inside the drive you can sometime get a drive to work for a bit.

Solution

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Exactly the same thing happened to me. I carelessly snapped off the sata connector of my ssd.

I did manage to fix it. Basically I just straightened all the pins, looked at other sata drives, experimented with the positioning of the data cable and rebooted many times to check if the ssd was recognised.

Once I was confident in the positioning of the sata cable, I then tied it securely in place with some string and tape. I could then use the drive as normal. It lasted me about a year in this state and only eventually died when my computer was shipped overseas. It didn't matter by then as I was expecting it to die any time and had done multiple backups, which I restored to a new ssd.

This may work for you, maybe long enough to do a clone. If you can clone or if you can restore your windows installation from a backup, you're good to go. If not, you will simply have to reinstall everything from scratch. There is no way that I am aware of to install windows in a way that recognises the location of your programs if (like me) you have installed them on a separate drive.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks a bunch guys. I guess I'll have to experiment with a cable and see if I can get it working. I guess it's not the end of the world, just that extra work that I reallllly didn't want to have to do.

Appreciate the fast responses!

TRENDING THREADS