Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Anyone have a NAGRA for sale ?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 19, 2005 3:08:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hello,

I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money to
spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder, getting
great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra, in
good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like to
deal with the regular, reputable posters here. Thank you for your time. You
can reply here or to my email sivlee@yahoo.com

Thanks!

---Daniel

More about : nagra sale

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:18:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:08:35 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money to
>spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
>Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder, getting
>great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra, in
>good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like to
>deal with the regular, reputable posters here.

I have a beautiful Uher 4200 looking for a good home, free FOB.
Not a Nagra, of course. Scott knows someone who can re-rubber
it; I'm too lazy. Just shoot me an email and it's yours.

Chris Hornbeck
"They're in *everybody's* eggs."
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:18:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Chris Hornbeck <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:
>On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:08:35 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money to
>>spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
>>Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder, getting
>>great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra, in
>>good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like to
>>deal with the regular, reputable posters here.
>
>I have a beautiful Uher 4200 looking for a good home, free FOB.
>Not a Nagra, of course. Scott knows someone who can re-rubber
>it; I'm too lazy. Just shoot me an email and it's yours.

Those are nice machines, even if it's a Report 4200 instead of a Monitor.
Note, however, that a PM on the thing is going to cost you some money. Then
again, so will a PM on a Nagra.

Last year I released an album of some festival recordings I made in the
past 25 years, and I was really shocked how good the ones I made on the
Uher 4000 were.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Related resources
May 19, 2005 3:26:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Chris Hornbeck" <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote in message
news:buin81hhq0cb3ka81gjjmir23eedvhtft4@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:08:35 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money
>>to
>>spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
>>Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder,
>>getting
>>great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra, in
>>good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like
>>to
>>deal with the regular, reputable posters here.
>
> I have a beautiful Uher 4200 looking for a good home, free FOB.
> Not a Nagra, of course. Scott knows someone who can re-rubber
> it; I'm too lazy. Just shoot me an email and it's yours.

WOW!! Are you serious ?? I'm sending you an email right now!!

~Daniel


>
> Chris Hornbeck
> "They're in *everybody's* eggs."
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:44:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:TVPie.1409459$8l.38316@pd7tw1no...
> Hello,
>
> I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money
to
> spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).


Mine is not for sale, but I wanted to tell you, I got one in very good cond.
for 300 dollars last year , a IV-L mono.

If you live in New York , maybe I can help . .. no $$ ,

Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
May 19, 2005 11:08:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D 6gn5i$h89$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Chris Hornbeck <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:
>>On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:08:35 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money
>>>to
>>>spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
>>>Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder,
>>>getting
>>>great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra,
>>>in
>>>good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like
>>>to
>>>deal with the regular, reputable posters here.
>>
>>I have a beautiful Uher 4200 looking for a good home, free FOB.
>>Not a Nagra, of course. Scott knows someone who can re-rubber
>>it; I'm too lazy. Just shoot me an email and it's yours.
>
> Those are nice machines, even if it's a Report 4200 instead of a Monitor.
> Note, however, that a PM on the thing is going to cost you some money.
> Then
> again, so will a PM on a Nagra.
>
> Last year I released an album of some festival recordings I made in the
> past 25 years, and I was really shocked how good the ones I made on the
> Uher 4000 were.
> --scott

Thanks for your input Scott. I'm not sure what you mean by "PM" though. It
looks like I missed the part about the 4200 needing to be "re-rubbered". I
thought it was in a good working condition. I'll have to learn to read all
things carefully. ;)  I really appreciate Chris' offer but I just don't need
a "fixer upper" unit and will try to look elsewhere.

~Daniel

> --
> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
May 19, 2005 11:10:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Edward Bridge" <edbridge@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:mcSie.3906$M36.1147@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:TVPie.1409459$8l.38316@pd7tw1no...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money
> to
>> spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
>
>
> Mine is not for sale, but I wanted to tell you, I got one in very good
> cond.
> for 300 dollars last year , a IV-L mono.
>
> If you live in New York , maybe I can help . .. no $$ ,

Hi Ed,

If you can help me out with a unit such as yours for such LOW $$, in such
good cond, then I'd appreciate it!

Much thanks!

Daniel

>
> Peace,
> Ed Bridge
> Brooklyn N.Y.
> http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
> please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
>
>
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:51:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:08:35 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money to
> >spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
> >Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder, getting
> >great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra, in
> >good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like to
> >deal with the regular, reputable posters here.
>
> I have a beautiful Uher 4200 looking for a good home, free FOB.
> Not a Nagra, of course. Scott knows someone who can re-rubber
> it; I'm too lazy. Just shoot me an email and it's yours.

4200L ?

I had one of those once - I even replaced some of the mech parts to bring it up
to near new condition. It got stolen when my flat was burgled. :-(

Graham
May 19, 2005 12:02:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

There are 4 Nagras in the stores next door which I believe have not
been used for years but they would need attention before being usable.
There also used to be a couple of Revox machines but I believe they
were thrown in a skip a few years ago.

The Nagras are not mine to give away/sell but the point of the email is
that if you contact labs and studios in your local area it is quite
likely that you can find a machine which has not been maintained for
nothing (or next to). Of course, if it has been maintained then it is
likely to be in use and not available.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:24:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:08:35 GMT, in rec.audio.pro "Daniel"
<NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money to
>spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
>Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder, getting
>great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra, in
>good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like to
>deal with the regular, reputable posters here. Thank you for your time. You
>can reply here or to my email sivlee@yahoo.com
>
>Thanks!
>
>---Daniel
>
try
http://www.bblist.co.uk/index.htm
and do a search for nagra


martin

After the first death, there is no other.
(Dylan Thomas)
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 2:12:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Daniel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money to
> spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
> Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder, getting
> great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra, in
> good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like to
> deal with the regular, reputable posters here. Thank you for your time. You
> can reply here or to my email sivlee@yahoo.com

Well - I have a Nagra 3 here ( in working order - replaced belts and stuff ) .
It's owner would like to sell it but we're in the UK.


Graham
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 2:14:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:08:35 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money to
> >spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
> >Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder, getting
> >great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra, in
> >good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like to
> >deal with the regular, reputable posters here.
>
> I have a beautiful Uher 4200 looking for a good home, free FOB.
> Not a Nagra, of course. Scott knows someone who can re-rubber
> it; I'm too lazy. Just shoot me an email and it's yours.

Hang on, the 4200 is stereo is it not ?

I simply had a 4000 Report L.

Loved the 'gearchange mechanism' for speed selection !

Graham
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 2:43:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Daniel <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Thanks for your input Scott. I'm not sure what you mean by "PM" though. It
>looks like I missed the part about the 4200 needing to be "re-rubbered". I
>thought it was in a good working condition. I'll have to learn to read all
>things carefully. ;)  I really appreciate Chris' offer but I just don't need
>a "fixer upper" unit and will try to look elsewhere.

PM is preventative maintenance. Every five or ten years you need to
replace the pinch roller and the belts. You need to go through the
electronics alignment perhaps every month or so. That's just the
way analogue recorders are. They are all that way.

If you buy a machine that is brand new and off the shelf, in a year
or two it will be time to do lubrication and inspect the rubber parts.
If you buy a used machine that was new a decade ago and sat on the shelf
without ever being used, it will be time to change the rubber parts,
lubricate the bearings, and do the electronics alignment.

The maintenance on a Uher 4000 is a _lot_ cheaper than the maintenance
on a Nagra. Replacement pinch roller for a Nagra III or IV is $150 alone.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 2:46:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <428C58F2.AD445690@hotmail.com>,
Pooh Bear <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>Chris Hornbeck wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:08:35 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money to
>> >spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
>> >Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder, getting
>> >great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra, in
>> >good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like to
>> >deal with the regular, reputable posters here.
>>
>> I have a beautiful Uher 4200 looking for a good home, free FOB.
>> Not a Nagra, of course. Scott knows someone who can re-rubber
>> it; I'm too lazy. Just shoot me an email and it's yours.
>
>Hang on, the 4200 is stereo is it not ?
>
>I simply had a 4000 Report L.
>
>Loved the 'gearchange mechanism' for speed selection !

The 4000 Report-L is the mono machine with germanium electronics. The
original 4200 Report was a stereo machine using the same body casting,
same wacky speed control lever and the same three-phase motor arrangement.

The line continued though... they made a Monitor version which had
three heads and some upgraded silicon electronics, and then a Report-IC
version that used some doubtful monolithic stuff. These were in production
until the late seventies, as I recall.

If possible, you want a 4200 Monitor with the round VU meters. But even
the original 4000 is really better-sounding than it has any right to be.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:29:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <XXWie.1410076$Xk.961835@pd7tw3no> NotReal@yahoo.com writes:

> Thanks for your input Scott. I'm not sure what you mean by "PM" though. It
> looks like I missed the part about the 4200 needing to be "re-rubbered". I
> thought it was in a good working condition.


PM = Preventive Maintenance - fixing things that deteriorate slowly
enough so that you don't notice it, but which are failing none the
less. Rubbper parts - belts, drive wheels, and pinch roller - are
subject to wear and deterioration. It might be running at the wrong
speed or have flutter. When something gets worn enough, the tape won't
run.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 10:13:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

More Nagras than you can ask for at; www.trewaudio.com then to the
consignment listings for recorders.

Eric
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:46:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p ZWie.1411346$8l.1387572@pd7tw1no...

> Hi Ed,
>
> If you can help me out with a unit such as yours for such LOW $$, in such
> good cond, then I'd appreciate it!
>
> Much thanks!
>
> Daniel

Danile
I found my on craigslist.com > http://newyork.craigslist.org/msg/



FYI: I don't know much much about recording , I wanted to keep the record
clear about _that _but for $2500 I think I rather buy a FR2
http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file=products/pfr/fr2 . ... then an used
Nagra 4.2. ... I always wonder which one has better preamps but I carry the
my Nagra a mile to record at a church last week and there was no need to go
to the gym that night.. . lol. .

Good luck, they are out there Cheap$$ somewhere



Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:54:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 20 May 2005 03:46:28 GMT, "Edward Bridge"
<edbridge@earthlink.net> wrote:
------------8<--------------------------
>
>FYI: I don't know much much about recording , I wanted to keep the record
>clear about _that _but for $2500 I think I rather buy a FR2
>http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file=products/pfr/fr2 . ... then an used
>Nagra 4.2. ... I always wonder which one has better preamps but I carry the
>my Nagra a mile to record at a church last week and there was no need to go
>to the gym that night.. . lol. .
>
>Good luck, they are out there Cheap$$ somewhere

-- And I still recall a tiny reporter carrying a Nagra 3 and a
Sennheiser MD 21 mike... The poor girl has been bent like a question
mark. But that has been OK. The results was something quite different
than Minidisc. Reporters accepted the MD with a hooray I think,
though.

But if I happen to see a Nagra today, I tip the hat. Great recorders,
the Nagras.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
May 21, 2005 12:54:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D 6i8lq$m4$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Daniel <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>Thanks for your input Scott. I'm not sure what you mean by "PM" though. It
>>looks like I missed the part about the 4200 needing to be "re-rubbered". I
>>thought it was in a good working condition. I'll have to learn to read all
>>things carefully. ;)  I really appreciate Chris' offer but I just don't
>>need
>>a "fixer upper" unit and will try to look elsewhere.
>
> PM is preventative maintenance. Every five or ten years you need to
> replace the pinch roller and the belts. You need to go through the
> electronics alignment perhaps every month or so. That's just the
> way analogue recorders are. They are all that way.
>
> If you buy a machine that is brand new and off the shelf, in a year
> or two it will be time to do lubrication and inspect the rubber parts.
> If you buy a used machine that was new a decade ago and sat on the shelf
> without ever being used, it will be time to change the rubber parts,
> lubricate the bearings, and do the electronics alignment.
>
> The maintenance on a Uher 4000 is a _lot_ cheaper than the maintenance
> on a Nagra. Replacement pinch roller for a Nagra III or IV is $150 alone.
> --scott

Alright, thanks Scott!

> --
> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
May 21, 2005 12:55:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
news:znr1116508919k@trad...
>
> In article <XXWie.1410076$Xk.961835@pd7tw3no> NotReal@yahoo.com writes:
>
>> Thanks for your input Scott. I'm not sure what you mean by "PM" though.
>> It
>> looks like I missed the part about the 4200 needing to be "re-rubbered".
>> I
>> thought it was in a good working condition.
>
>
> PM = Preventive Maintenance - fixing things that deteriorate slowly
> enough so that you don't notice it, but which are failing none the
> less. Rubbper parts - belts, drive wheels, and pinch roller - are
> subject to wear and deterioration. It might be running at the wrong
> speed or have flutter. When something gets worn enough, the tape won't
> run.

Alright, thanks for the info Mike.

>
>
> --
> I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
> However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
> lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
> you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
> and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
May 21, 2005 12:57:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Eric Toline" <Audioetc@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:27878-428D0F75-91@storefull-3257.bay.webtv.net...
> More Nagras than you can ask for at; www.trewaudio.com then to the
> consignment listings for recorders.
>
> Eric

Tremendous site! Thank you! I actually called the person there (In Toronto
as I'm in Canada) and they have a Nagra III that went through inspection and
all of that for $700 CND. Still a bit too much though ... :( ( I'll keep
looking and the site is very helpful. Thanks again.

Daniel



>
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 12:57:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Daniel <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>"Eric Toline" <Audioetc@webtv.net> wrote in message
>news:27878-428D0F75-91@storefull-3257.bay.webtv.net...
>> More Nagras than you can ask for at; www.trewaudio.com then to the
>> consignment listings for recorders.
>
>Tremendous site! Thank you! I actually called the person there (In Toronto
>as I'm in Canada) and they have a Nagra III that went through inspection and
>all of that for $700 CND. Still a bit too much though ... :( ( I'll keep
>looking and the site is very helpful. Thanks again.

That's a good price, and I bet more than half of that is the cost of the
maintenance. They are good folks and I have always liked dealing with
them. I think buying from them you'll get what you pay for.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
May 21, 2005 12:59:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Scott Dorsey" >
> If possible, you want a 4200 Monitor with the round VU meters. But even
> the original 4000 is really better-sounding than it has any right to be.

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks again Scott.

Btw, what exactly does WIDER track width give to the performance of the
recorder ? Is it only lower tape hiss ?




> --scott
>
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 12:59:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Daniel <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" >
>> If possible, you want a 4200 Monitor with the round VU meters. But even
>> the original 4000 is really better-sounding than it has any right to be.
>
>I'll keep this in mind. Thanks again Scott.
>
>Btw, what exactly does WIDER track width give to the performance of the
>recorder ? Is it only lower tape hiss ?

Wider tracks give you both lower tape hiss, and the ability to play it
back on standard professional recorders. Quarter-track tapes like you
get from a Uher 4400 are not only noisier, but you can't take them to
a local studio and expect them to play back on any machine.

Going full-track mono gives you still lower tape noise, but it's getting
hard to find studios that can play back full-track tapes properly. Most
everyone today puts them on a half-track stereo machine and sums the two
channels, which gives slightly more high end distortion and slightly more
noise than a real full-track playback deck. Film post houses are about
the only folks who keep full-track headstacks around these days, mostly
for Nagra users.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
May 21, 2005 1:07:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Edward Bridge" <edbridge@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o 4dje.4557$M36.754@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:p ZWie.1411346$8l.1387572@pd7tw1no...
>
>> Hi Ed,
>>
>> If you can help me out with a unit such as yours for such LOW $$, in such
>> good cond, then I'd appreciate it!
>>
>> Much thanks!
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Danile
> I found my on craigslist.com > http://newyork.craigslist.org/msg/

I placed the link in my favorites! Thanks again!

Daniel


>
>
>
> FYI: I don't know much much about recording , I wanted to keep the
> record
> clear about _that _but for $2500 I think I rather buy a FR2
> http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file=products/pfr/fr2 . ... then an used
> Nagra 4.2. ... I always wonder which one has better preamps but I carry
> the
> my Nagra a mile to record at a church last week and there was no need to
> go
> to the gym that night.. . lol. .
>
> Good luck, they are out there Cheap$$ somewhere
>
>
>
> Peace,
> Ed Bridge
> Brooklyn N.Y.
> http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
> please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
>
>
May 21, 2005 1:09:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:428C586F.91BD0C24@hotmail.com...
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money
>> to
>> spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
>> Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder,
>> getting
>> great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra,
>> in
>> good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like
>> to
>> deal with the regular, reputable posters here. Thank you for your time.
>> You
>> can reply here or to my email sivlee@yahoo.com
>
> Well - I have a Nagra 3 here ( in working order - replaced belts and
> stuff ) .
> It's owner would like to sell it but we're in the UK.

How much would you want for one, in your currency ?

Thanks,

Daniel

>
>
> Graham
>
May 21, 2005 1:11:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"andy" <andy19191@fsmail.net> wrote in message
news:1116512097.377363.227830@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> There are 4 Nagras in the stores next door which I believe have not
> been used for years but they would need attention before being usable.
> There also used to be a couple of Revox machines but I believe they
> were thrown in a skip a few years ago.
>
> The Nagras are not mine to give away/sell but the point of the email is
> that if you contact labs and studios in your local area it is quite
> likely that you can find a machine which has not been maintained for
> nothing (or next to). Of course, if it has been maintained then it is
> likely to be in use and not available.

I'll use all of the info I've been given by you guys to find me a Nagra.
Thanks so much everyone!

Daniel

>
May 21, 2005 1:14:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Edi Zubovic" <edi.zubovic[rem this].@ri.htnet.hr> wrote in message
news:ca5r81la3nn91g3l6eqmaonibtupuo7e3r@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 03:46:28 GMT, "Edward Bridge"
> <edbridge@earthlink.net> wrote:
> ------------8<--------------------------
>>
>>FYI: I don't know much much about recording , I wanted to keep the
>>record
>>clear about _that _but for $2500 I think I rather buy a FR2
>>http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file=products/pfr/fr2 . ... then an used
>>Nagra 4.2. ... I always wonder which one has better preamps but I carry
>>the
>>my Nagra a mile to record at a church last week and there was no need to
>>go
>>to the gym that night.. . lol. .
>>
>>Good luck, they are out there Cheap$$ somewhere
>
> -- And I still recall a tiny reporter carrying a Nagra 3 and a
> Sennheiser MD 21 mike... The poor girl has been bent like a question
> mark. But that has been OK. The results was something quite different
> than Minidisc. Reporters accepted the MD with a hooray I think,
> though.
>
> But if I happen to see a Nagra today, I tip the hat. Great recorders,
> the Nagras.

The first time I've heard a Nagra, model III I believe, I couldn't believe
my ears. Sounded nicer and more "natural" than anything digital I've heard
of similar offerings.

Thanks,

Daniel

>
> Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:46:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <5bsje.1423928$6l.649452@pd7tw2no> NotReal@yahoo.com writes:

> > More Nagras than you can ask for at; www.trewaudio.com

> Tremendous site! Thank you! I actually called the person there (In Toronto
> as I'm in Canada) and they have a Nagra III that went through inspection and
> all of that for $700 CND. Still a bit too much though ...

If you want to buy a checked and serviced recorder from a legitimate
dealer, you'll have to pay more than a take-your-chances recorder from
a random auctioneer. Your money, your time, your choice.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
May 21, 2005 3:14:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D 6lk7a$t49$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Daniel <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>"Eric Toline" <Audioetc@webtv.net> wrote in message
>>news:27878-428D0F75-91@storefull-3257.bay.webtv.net...
>>> More Nagras than you can ask for at; www.trewaudio.com then to the
>>> consignment listings for recorders.
>>
>>Tremendous site! Thank you! I actually called the person there (In Toronto
>>as I'm in Canada) and they have a Nagra III that went through inspection
>>and
>>all of that for $700 CND. Still a bit too much though ... :( ( I'll keep
>>looking and the site is very helpful. Thanks again.
>
> That's a good price, and I bet more than half of that is the cost of the
> maintenance. They are good folks and I have always liked dealing with
> them. I think buying from them you'll get what you pay for.
> --scott

Cool! That's actually good to know. Thanks Scott! I called them again and
asked specifically about whether their 120 day warranty and the servicing
also covers the Nagra III I was interested in. They will be getting back to
me next week. Hey, I might get a refurbished Nagra from them, at a good
price, so that's cool!!

Now guys, stay away from my Nagra ... I saw it first!! LOL!! ;) ))

Thanks again!

Daniel

>
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
May 21, 2005 3:16:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D 6lkdr$p2n$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Daniel <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>"Scott Dorsey" >
>>> If possible, you want a 4200 Monitor with the round VU meters. But even
>>> the original 4000 is really better-sounding than it has any right to be.
>>
>>I'll keep this in mind. Thanks again Scott.
>>
>>Btw, what exactly does WIDER track width give to the performance of the
>>recorder ? Is it only lower tape hiss ?
>
> Wider tracks give you both lower tape hiss, and the ability to play it
> back on standard professional recorders. Quarter-track tapes like you
> get from a Uher 4400 are not only noisier, but you can't take them to
> a local studio and expect them to play back on any machine.
>
> Going full-track mono gives you still lower tape noise, but it's getting
> hard to find studios that can play back full-track tapes properly. Most
> everyone today puts them on a half-track stereo machine and sums the two
> channels, which gives slightly more high end distortion and slightly more
> noise than a real full-track playback deck. Film post houses are about
> the only folks who keep full-track headstacks around these days, mostly
> for Nagra users.
> --scott

Great info, thanks again Scott!

~Daniel


> --
> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:24:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mike Rivers wrote:

> In article <5bsje.1423928$6l.649452@pd7tw2no> NotReal@yahoo.com writes:

> > > More Nagras than you can ask for at; www.trewaudio.com

> > Tremendous site! Thank you! I actually called the person there (In Toronto
> > as I'm in Canada) and they have a Nagra III that went through inspection and
> > all of that for $700 CND. Still a bit too much though ...

> If you want to buy a checked and serviced recorder from a legitimate
> dealer, you'll have to pay more than a take-your-chances recorder from
> a random auctioneer. Your money, your time, your choice.

It'd be easier than eating pie to buy a five hundred dollar Nagra that
needed another five hundred bucks worth of service.

--
ha
May 21, 2005 11:17:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"hank alrich" <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote in message
news:1gwvk47.w63xc91jqwe03N%walkinay@thegrid.net...
> Mike Rivers wrote:
>
>> In article <5bsje.1423928$6l.649452@pd7tw2no> NotReal@yahoo.com writes:
>
>> > > More Nagras than you can ask for at; www.trewaudio.com
>
>> > Tremendous site! Thank you! I actually called the person there (In
>> > Toronto
>> > as I'm in Canada) and they have a Nagra III that went through
>> > inspection and
>> > all of that for $700 CND. Still a bit too much though ...
>
>> If you want to buy a checked and serviced recorder from a legitimate
>> dealer, you'll have to pay more than a take-your-chances recorder from
>> a random auctioneer. Your money, your time, your choice.
>
> It'd be easier than eating pie to buy a five hundred dollar Nagra that
> needed another five hundred bucks worth of service.
>

You guys are right .... and that is why I'm very interested in pursuing with
this company.

~Daniel


> ha
May 21, 2005 2:37:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of
> money to spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one
> dynamic mic). Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open
> reel recorder, getting great results but my back can't take it anymore
> .. If you have a Nagra, in good and well maintained cond, then please
> let me know. Ideally, I'd like to deal with the regular, reputable
> posters here. Thank you for your time. You can reply here or to my
> email sivlee@yahoo.com

These days, wouldn't you be more interested in a new solid-state
recorder for a similar price as an old (hopefully serviced) analog
recorder?
check out: Marantz PMD670 , Fostex FR2.

Tom
May 21, 2005 2:37:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Tom" <camembert@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
news:428ef219$0$22991$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
>> I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money
>> to spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic
>> mic). Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel
>> recorder, getting great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If
>> you have a Nagra, in good and well maintained cond, then please let me
>> know. Ideally, I'd like to deal with the regular, reputable posters here.
>> Thank you for your time. You can reply here or to my email
>> sivlee@yahoo.com
>
> These days, wouldn't you be more interested in a new solid-state recorder
> for a similar price as an old (hopefully serviced) analog recorder?
> check out: Marantz PMD670 , Fostex FR2.

I appreciate your suggestion, Tom, but I've been the digital route before
and am VERY happy to be back in the Analog land. ;) 

~Daniel

>
> Tom
>
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:03:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Tom" <camembert@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
news:428ef219$0$22991$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
> These days, wouldn't you be more interested in a new solid-state
> recorder for a similar price as an old (hopefully serviced) analog
> recorder?
> check out: Marantz PMD670 , Fostex FR2.

maybe I have ask this question before and don't remember the answer but:
does the FR2.
have nice sounding preamps like an old Nagra ?



Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:37:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <hAEje.5286$uR4.1643@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> edbridgeNOSPAM@earthlink.net writes:

> maybe I have ask this question before and don't remember the answer but:
> does the FR2.
> have nice sounding preamps like an old Nagra ?

Few things have built-in preamps as good as the Nagra. It was designed
before anyone actually cared about how the preamps sounded, all the
cared about was how the DEVICE sounded. Since it's pretty common to
plug a mic into a Nagra, it had to sound good with a mic - and it
does.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:39:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Tom wrote:

> > I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of
> > money to spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one
> > dynamic mic). Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open
> > reel recorder, getting great results but my back can't take it anymore
> > .. If you have a Nagra, in good and well maintained cond, then please
> > let me know. Ideally, I'd like to deal with the regular, reputable
> > posters here. Thank you for your time. You can reply here or to my
> > email sivlee@yahoo.com
>
> These days, wouldn't you be more interested in a new solid-state
> recorder for a similar price as an old (hopefully serviced) analog
> recorder?
> check out: Marantz PMD670 , Fostex FR2.

But they just don't look the part the way a Nagra does !

Tried splicing RAM ? ;-)


Graham
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:42:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Daniel wrote:

> "Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:428C586F.91BD0C24@hotmail.com...
> > Daniel wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'd really like to get a mono portable Nagra. I don't have a lot of money
> >> to
> >> spend and I just wish to record an upright piano (with one dynamic mic).
> >> Till now, I've been logging around my 55 lb TEAC open reel recorder,
> >> getting
> >> great results but my back can't take it anymore .. If you have a Nagra,
> >> in
> >> good and well maintained cond, then please let me know. Ideally, I'd like
> >> to
> >> deal with the regular, reputable posters here. Thank you for your time.
> >> You
> >> can reply here or to my email sivlee@yahoo.com
> >
> > Well - I have a Nagra 3 here ( in working order - replaced belts and
> > stuff ) .
> > It's owner would like to sell it but we're in the UK.
>
> How much would you want for one, in your currency ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel

I'd have to check. It's not my own actually, I did a minor service on it (
replaced belts and stuff ) for a friend some years ago.

It works fine though.

I think its value depends on the buyer.

Graham
May 22, 2005 12:19:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'm glad you guys give Analog, in this case the Nagra, the credit it
deserves.

~Daniel
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:19:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Daniel <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I'm glad you guys give Analog, in this case the Nagra, the credit it
>deserves.

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.

I used a Nagra III today too. I try and dig it out now and then to keep it
in good running shape.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:26:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D 6oa67$5oa$1@panix3.panix.com...
> I used a Nagra III today too. I try and dig it out now and then to keep
it
> in good running shape.


I have to ask, I'm sorry "what were you doing, when you used the Nagra
III"...

A person who I admire a lot in the Classical guitar world, is music
publisher Matanya Ophee http://www.orphee.com , years ago I think he
wrote the first Technical Manual for Nagra. . . he mention once lately , he
would like a working Nagra III too.


--
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
s."
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 6:09:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

in other words , now in days it's a given that one is going to use a preamps
so the ppreapms a divice may not be good.

--
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
news:znr1116679860k@trad...
>
> In article <hAEje.5286$uR4.1643@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>
edbridgeNOSPAM@earthlink.net writes:
>
> > maybe I have ask this question before and don't remember the answer
but:
> > does the FR2.
> > have nice sounding preamps like an old Nagra ?
>
> Few things have built-in preamps as good as the Nagra. It was designed
> before anyone actually cared about how the preamps sounded, all the
> cared about was how the DEVICE sounded. Since it's pretty common to
> plug a mic into a Nagra, it had to sound good with a mic - and it
> does.

Since out on the field/concert hall you may not have a nice preamps and
the FR-2 is made for the same reasons the Nagra was , it should have good
preamps?

Is it "not to worry about preamps out in the field" when one has tons of
plug-ins?


--
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:56:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Edward Bridge wrote:

> in other words , now in days it's a given that one is going to use a preamps
> so the ppreapms a divice may not be good.

Would you care to restate that in English ? ;-)

Graham
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 1:39:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Edward Bridge <edbridgeNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
>> I used a Nagra III today too. I try and dig it out now and then to keep
>it
>> in good running shape.
>
>I have to ask, I'm sorry "what were you doing, when you used the Nagra
>III"...

I got roped into recording an outdoor concert at the folk festival. Took
a PA feed into the line input, set a Sennheiser KM104 omni up on the edge
of the stage into the mike input, and balanced the two of them to get a
good mix of direct and ambient sound.

Used 1 mil tape so the reel changes were every 24 minutes, which made
things a little easier, and I kept a bunch of empty reels so I could just
prethread two reels and swap both at the time for a five-second reel change.

This was chakaal's first time mixing PA too, and it'll be fun to hear how
it sounds on the big monitors when we get back.

>A person who I admire a lot in the Classical guitar world, is music
>publisher Matanya Ophee http://www.orphee.com , years ago I think he
>wrote the first Technical Manual for Nagra. . . he mention once lately , he
>would like a working Nagra III too.

There are plenty of them out there. They sound different than the newer
ones, and they can't bias up any of the modern tapes, but they sound good.
Somebody should probably make a bias oscillator upgrade kit for them someday,
but it won't be me. At least not until I use up the rest of my storage unit
full of 468.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:24:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <pRRje.5589$uR4.246@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> edbridgeNOSPAM@earthlink.net writes:

> Since out on the field/concert hall you may not have a nice preamps and
> the FR-2 is made for the same reasons the Nagra was , it should have good
> preamps?
>
> Is it "not to worry about preamps out in the field" when one has tons of
> plug-ins?


Plug-ins can't fix everything - you want to make the best recording
you can. However, in the "field" often the subtlties of a
preamp-of-choice in the studio are overshadowed by other things, and
all that's required is sufficient gain at sufficiently low noise. One
thing that a Nagra has that many of today's recorders don't, is plenty
of gain. I can't, for example, use the "mic recording" function of my
Jukebox because for all practical purposes it has only about 25 dB of
gain, not even sufficient for an across-the-table interview.

Typically mic preamps today (built into recorders, built into
consoles, or stand-alone) have about 60 dB of gain maximum. Some are
noisier than others at that gain. I often find that with mics in the
field, I'm running the mic inputs near full gain. If they're too
noisy, they're not usable.

I don't know how the FR2 mic inputs perform. I'd like to think that
they're usable at 60 dB, but I've never tried one.



--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:01:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:428FF4C4.5A53CB25@hotmail.com...
>
> Edward Bridge wrote:
>
> > in other words , now in days it's a given that one is going to use a
preamps
> > so the ppreapms a divice may not be good.
>
> Would you care to restate that in English ? ;-)
>
> Graham
>
I'm red in the face. .. the English part was posted below . .ha ha.. . --
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:49:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D 6q22h$9e4$1@panix3.panix.com...

> I got roped into recording an outdoor concert at the folk festival.

I got roped into playing an outdoor wedding last night in Brooklyn (good
pay) . . it was cold and wet but that's life.

>
> Used 1 mil tape so the reel changes were every 24 minutes, which made
> things a little easier, and I kept a bunch of empty reels so I could just
> prethread two reels and swap both at the time for a five-second reel
change.

Thanks for telling us, I like hearing the different jobs people do .



> At least not until I use up the rest of my storage unit
> full of 468.

Should I go buy all the EMTEC SM468 that I can find?


--
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 4:58:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
news:znr1116766145k@trad...
>
> In article <pRRje.5589$uR4.246@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>
edbridgeNOSPAM@earthlink.net writes:
>
> > Since out on the field/concert hall you may not have a nice preamps
and
> > the FR-2 is made for the same reasons the Nagra was , it should have
good
> > preamps?
> >
> > Is it "not to worry about preamps out in the field" when one has tons
of
> > plug-ins?
>
>
> Plug-ins can't fix everything - you want to make the best recording
> you can. However, in the "field" often the subtlties of a
> preamp-of-choice in the studio are overshadowed by other things, and
> all that's required is sufficient gain at sufficiently low noise. One
> thing that a Nagra has that many of today's recorders don't, is plenty
> of gain. I can't, for example, use the "mic recording" function of my
> Jukebox because for all practical purposes it has only about 25 dB of
> gain, not even sufficient for an across-the-table interview.
>
> Typically mic preamps today (built into recorders, built into
> consoles, or stand-alone) have about 60 dB of gain maximum. Some are
> noisier than others at that gain. I often find that with mics in the
> field, I'm running the mic inputs near full gain. If they're too
> noisy, they're not usable.


Maybe that would explain why I was confussed when I got my digi 002 and had
to turn the gain up to 90precent ( with noise) to get the level I wanted
(classical guitar) becasue I was comparing it to the Nagra which has as you
say "plenty of gain." that I use at 40 precent with no noise

I bet I'm not doing something right with digi 002 but I just use the Nagra
as the preamp and call it a day until I learn.
-- >
> I don't know how the FR2 mic inputs perform. I'd like to think that
> they're usable at 60 dB, but I've never tried one.

I will soon but I not the right person to give reports . .
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to edbridge@earthlink.net
May 25, 2005 2:35:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Well, guys ... as it turns out the Nagra III in question did not have any PM
done to it by Trew. Not good.

~Daniel
!