Closed Solved

Can I upgrade from XP to Windows 7 please help

Okay so I am building a new system and I have a copy of XP to put on the system, but I want 7. I can get a copy of Windows 7 ultimate for 10, but it is an anytime upgrade, so can i use that or do i have to buy a copy of 7 then buy the upgrade
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade windows help
  1. Best answer
    anytime upgrades are not OS upgrades, they are just windows 7 version changes. it would be cheaper to just buy OEM windows 7 home premium for $100.

There is an even cheaper option though. upgrades from XP to windows 8 pro are only $40. And pro versions of windows come with downgrade rights. So when windows 8 comes out you could buy the "upgrade", then just install windows 7.
  2. You can install a trial copy of Windows 7 for 30 days. You do not need to enter a licence key upon installation but will need to enter one later on.
  3. Pinhedd said:
    You can install a trial copy of Windows 7 for 30 days. You do not need to enter a licence key upon installation but will need to enter one later on.

so could i use the trial and upgrade the trial version with the wau
  4. You would have to licence the full version of the software, not upgrade.
  5. Isnt what he is referring to a way to circumvent the authenticator?
  6. vrumor said:
    Isnt what he is referring to a way to circumvent the authenticator?

No. Installing any version of Windows 7 for 30 days is completely legal and not a circumvention of the operating system's security measures. If he had told him what to do after the 30 days, then yes.
  7. I wasnt referring to pinhedd. Was referring to the OP and it just hit me what the WAU was. My bad, continue on.
  8. Microsoft provide a step-by-step XP to 7 here
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7
    I'm sure the WAU disk would suffice to complete the upgrade...
  9. its not a disk its a download. i might be able to get a disk but idk i cause if it is a dl i wont be able to put that on a disk
  10. Then download an ISO from here
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604187-legal-download-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html
    Choose whatever you have a licence for and burn to a disk.
  11. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
  12. Best answer selected by Area51reopened.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Windows XP