875/865 onboard sound? Any good? VS nForce?

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
I've been enjoying nvidia's nforce APU since it's release but now its come time for an system upgrade. This time around I'm going Intel and I'm going with DFI's Lanparty 875PRO motherboard. This motherboard has C-Media CMI9739A codec. I'd like to get any info on what I can expext from the sound on this board.

So far all I know is what Anandtech wrote about it:
<i>"DFI decided to go with a lesser known codec in the form of C-Media’s CMI9739A. In general you should be able to get fairly decent sound quality from this codec."</i>

I will be running 5.1 or 7.1 sound with midrange-quality speakers. I'm interested knowing how much having sound on in games will hurt performance. Also what sort of quality can be expected?

If you have any 875/865 chipset mobo and use onboard sound tell me what you think of it. I would like to hear about any of them to get a general idea.

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
We'll doing a little internet hunting I found a little more about my DFI Lanparty Pro875's audio.

<b>3dXtreme:</b>
<i>"Onboard Audio: 20-bit stereo full-duplex codec with independent variable sampling rate"</i>

<b>FiringSquad:</b>
<i>"Onboard audio is powered by C-Media’s CMI9739A AC’97 CODEC, giving end user’s 5.1 channel audio support. To be honest though, this is one of the weaker audio controllers we’ve seen integrated on a Canterwood motherboard. If you haven’t invested in a mid, to high-end set of speakers and don’t plan on listening to anything more than low bit-rate MP3s the audio provided will be more than enough for your needs however."</i>
<i>"With a more powerful CODEC from SoundMAX or Realtek, they’d have a solid Editor’s Choice contender on their hands."</i>

So from that it sounds like I'll be investing in an Audigy or something. But I will wait and see for myself before spending the extra cash. At least I saw 5.1 :smile:

I would still like to hear from anyone using 875/865 onboard sound. Let me know what you think.