7506's sound too bright

Don't get me wrong, I love my 7506's....but in comparison to most
near-fields I've heard they sound very bright. I was listening to
Sinatra on them the other day and although the overall sound was great,
the trumpets and cymbals sounded brittle. There is still a good amount
of low-end and thumpin bass, just not enough to make up for the shrill
highs. Is it possible that I have a bum pair, or perhaps need to replace
the drivers? Or is this a common thing for 7506's? I would think
headphones labelled with "studio monitor" would be more linear.

Jonny Durango
17 answers Last reply
More about 7506 sound bright

    "Jonny Durango" <jonnydurango1BUSH_FROM_OFFICE@comcast.net>
    wrote in message news:KdOdneGL-Y0trBHfRVn-iw@comcast.com...
    > Don't get me wrong, I love my 7506's....but in comparison
    to most
    > near-fields I've heard they sound very bright. I was
    listening to
    > Sinatra on them the other day and although the overall
    sound was great,
    > the trumpets and cymbals sounded brittle. There is still a
    good amount
    > of low-end and thumpin bass, just not enough to make up
    for the shrill
    > highs. Is it possible that I have a bum pair, or perhaps
    need to replace
    > the drivers? Or is this a common thing for 7506's? I would
    think
    > headphones labelled with "studio monitor" would be more
    linear.

    7506's are diagnostic tools, not necessarily the most
    natural-sounding reproducers. If you want a more natural
    sound for a bit of a higher price, check out Sennheiser HD
    580s.

    Jonny Durango wrote:
    > Don't get me wrong, I love my 7506's....but in comparison to most
    > near-fields I've heard they sound very bright. I was listening to
    > Sinatra on them the other day and although the overall sound was great,
    > the trumpets and cymbals sounded brittle. There is still a good amount
    > of low-end and thumpin bass, just not enough to make up for the shrill
    > highs. Is it possible that I have a bum pair, or perhaps need to replace
    > the drivers? Or is this a common thing for 7506's? I would think
    > headphones labelled with "studio monitor" would be more linear.

    The 7506s _are_ fairly bright. From the description, I doubt that
    there's anything wrong with yours. I generally like their sound, but
    when a recording is particularly bright to begin with, it can add up to
    too much.

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 02:27:53 -0400, Jonny Durango wrote
    (in article <KdOdneGL-Y0trBHfRVn-iw@comcast.com>):

    > Don't get me wrong, I love my 7506's....but in comparison to most
    > near-fields I've heard they sound very bright. I was listening to
    > Sinatra on them the other day and although the overall sound was great,
    > the trumpets and cymbals sounded brittle. There is still a good amount
    > of low-end and thumpin bass, just not enough to make up for the shrill
    > highs. Is it possible that I have a bum pair, or perhaps need to replace
    > the drivers? Or is this a common thing for 7506's? I would think
    > headphones labelled with "studio monitor" would be more linear.
    >
    > Jonny Durango

    They are big on the top and big on the bottom. I love them. They let me know
    before a pop pops. They let me know when there's too much low end in the
    room, or a car or truck goes by.

    You get used to them. I love them and have tried others. The new Edirol
    headphones are similar, but may have a less peaky top end. Heard 'em at NAB.
    Pretty neat.

    Regards,

    Ty

    stuff are at www.tyford.com

    In article <KdOdneGL-Y0trBHfRVn-iw@comcast.com>,
    Jonny Durango <jonnydurango1BUSH_FROM_OFFICE@comcast.net> wrote:
    >Don't get me wrong, I love my 7506's....but in comparison to most
    >near-fields I've heard they sound very bright. I was listening to
    >Sinatra on them the other day and although the overall sound was great,
    >the trumpets and cymbals sounded brittle. There is still a good amount
    >of low-end and thumpin bass, just not enough to make up for the shrill
    >highs. Is it possible that I have a bum pair, or perhaps need to replace
    >the drivers? Or is this a common thing for 7506's? I would think
    >headphones labelled with "studio monitor" would be more linear.

    The 7506 is bright the way the Pope is Catholic. They have massively
    tipped-up high end. The response plot looks like Gibraltar.

    When I got my 7506es, they had "DIGITAL" stickers on the side, as well
    as the "STUDIO MONITOR" screening on the headband. You can put anything
    you want on them. Hell, most of the cheap consumer junk out there has
    "PROFESSIONAL" on the front panel today.

    The reason people use the 7506 is the top end. I can't stand to listen
    to them for very long, but they are great for editing work because you
    can pick all kinds of junk out of the noise floor and really hear
    changes in tape hiss levels. They are great tracking headphones too,
    because they really make things sound forward so you can track with
    lower levels in the cans.
    --scott

    Ty Ford wrote:

    > They are big on the top and big on the bottom. I love them. They let me know
    > before a pop pops. They let me know when there's too much low end in the
    > room, or a car or truck goes by.

    That's exactly how I would describe them.....thanks everyone for
    confirming my suspicions!

    Jonny Durango

    > The 7506 is bright the way the Pope is Catholic. They have massively
    > tipped-up high end. The response plot looks like Gibraltar.

    LOL! Well I'll keep that in mind when mixing....now that you mention it,
    not only do they emphasize hiss, but they made the MIDI beep metronome
    jump right out of a Robin Thicke CD I was listening to a few months
    ago....which is an otherwise cleanly produced album

    Anyway, I still love them for listening, plus it's not too hard to
    roll-off a little high-end.

    Jonny Durango

    Jonny Durango wrote:
    > Don't get me wrong, I love my 7506's....but in comparison to most
    > near-fields I've heard they sound very bright. I was listening to
    > Sinatra on them the other day and although the overall sound was
    great,
    > the trumpets and cymbals sounded brittle. There is still a good
    amount
    > of low-end and thumpin bass, just not enough to make up for the
    shrill
    > highs. Is it possible that I have a bum pair, or perhaps need to
    replace
    > the drivers? Or is this a common thing for 7506's? I would think
    > headphones labelled with "studio monitor" would be more linear.
    >
    > Jonny Durango

    Maybe go to the oktava.com site and buy a pair of Grados, good
    phones, you might like them. I have the SR60's with Sennheiser
    replacement earpads but the SR80's are nice too, a lot of bang for the
    buck IMHO.

    Will Miho
    NY Music and TV Audio Guy
    Staff Audio/Fox News/M-AES

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:27:53 -0700, Jonny Durango
    <jonnydurango1BUSH_FROM_OFFICE@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Don't get me wrong, I love my 7506's....but in comparison to most
    >near-fields I've heard they sound very bright. I was listening to

    Ty Ford posted a link a mic review video he made (not really a full
    review, he calls it a 'quickie demo'), and my comment of listening
    with 7506's should confirm your observation. His putting on the thick
    foam pop filter, which cut the highs significantly, made the mic sound
    Just Right to me.
    Here's the thread:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/browse_frm/thread/38a95b6f56c48770

    I find the AKG 240's much easier for long-term listening, both in
    the physical fit around the ears and in the sound. But they're
    open-back, as opposed to 7506's closed-back design providing better
    isolation and making them better for tracking. If you get the AKG's
    you probably want to get the lower-impedance 240S "Studio" rather than
    (what I have) the higher impedance 240M "Monitor", so when you switch
    between different phones on the same output the volume doesn't change
    so drastically (the 240M's are much quieter than low-impedance phones
    from the same headphone output).

    >Sinatra on them the other day and although the overall sound was great,
    >the trumpets and cymbals sounded brittle. There is still a good amount
    >of low-end and thumpin bass, just not enough to make up for the shrill
    >highs. Is it possible that I have a bum pair, or perhaps need to replace
    >the drivers? Or is this a common thing for 7506's? I would think
    >headphones labelled with "studio monitor" would be more linear.
    >
    >Jonny Durango

    If you want some really funny sounding phones, there's the K-44's
    that came as a 'package deal' with my AKG C3000. :-/

    -----
    http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

    They are great tracking headphones too,
    > because they really make things sound forward so you can track with
    > lower levels in the cans.
    > --scott

    That's what they're used for here, except for one of the fiddle players who
    works here a lot. She can't stand them, so I keep a pair of Fostex around
    just for her.

    --
    Dave Martin
    DMA, Inc

    The K240 Studio also have a ridiculously exagerated low end... IMHO...

    JP

    "Ben Bradley" <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> a écrit dans le message
    de news:ulcp819qj93h3k5vlle7p504oi45c3sufq@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:27:53 -0700, Jonny Durango
    > <jonnydurango1BUSH_FROM_OFFICE@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Don't get me wrong, I love my 7506's....but in comparison to most
    > >near-fields I've heard they sound very bright. I was listening to
    >
    > Ty Ford posted a link a mic review video he made (not really a full
    > review, he calls it a 'quickie demo'), and my comment of listening
    > with 7506's should confirm your observation. His putting on the thick
    > foam pop filter, which cut the highs significantly, made the mic sound
    > Just Right to me.
    > Here's the thread:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/browse_frm/thread/38a95b6f56c48770

    > I find the AKG 240's much easier for long-term listening, both in
    > the physical fit around the ears and in the sound. But they're
    > open-back, as opposed to 7506's closed-back design providing better
    > isolation and making them better for tracking. If you get the AKG's
    > you probably want to get the lower-impedance 240S "Studio" rather than
    > (what I have) the higher impedance 240M "Monitor", so when you switch
    > between different phones on the same output the volume doesn't change
    > so drastically (the 240M's are much quieter than low-impedance phones
    > from the same headphone output).
    >
    > >Sinatra on them the other day and although the overall sound was great,
    > >the trumpets and cymbals sounded brittle. There is still a good amount
    > >of low-end and thumpin bass, just not enough to make up for the shrill
    > >highs. Is it possible that I have a bum pair, or perhaps need to replace
    > >the drivers? Or is this a common thing for 7506's? I would think
    > >headphones labelled with "studio monitor" would be more linear.
    > >
    > >Jonny Durango
    >
    > If you want some really funny sounding phones, there's the K-44's
    > that came as a 'package deal' with my AKG C3000. :-/
    >
    > -----
    > http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

    "Jonny Durango" <jonnydurango1BUSH_FROM_OFFICE@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Don't get me wrong, I love my 7506's....but in comparison to most
    > near-fields I've heard they sound very bright. I was listening to Sinatra
    > on them the other day and although the overall sound was great, the
    > trumpets and cymbals sounded brittle. There is still a good amount of
    > low-end and thumpin bass, just not enough to make up for the shrill highs.
    > Is it possible that I have a bum pair, or perhaps need to replace the
    > drivers? Or is this a common thing for 7506's? I would think headphones
    > labelled with "studio monitor" would be more linear.

    That's just the way they sound. Great for audio editing, but useless for
    casual listening. Now, wouldn't it be great to have that trouser-flapping
    bass, an d the rest smooooth ?!!!

    geoff

    Try the AKG K240 Studio...

    Plenty of bass...

    JP

    "Ty Ford" <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > You get used to them. I love them and have tried others.

    Jeeze Ty, how can I respect you mic reviews now ? !!!!

    ;-)

    geoff

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:21:57 -0400, Geoff Wood wrote
    (in article <428d0369@clear.net.nz>):

    > "Ty Ford" <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> You get used to them. I love them and have tried others.
    >
    > Jeeze Ty, how can I respect you mic reviews now ? !!!!
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > geoff

    Why start now?

    Ty

    stuff are at www.tyford.com

    "Dave Martin" <dmainc@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:593je.4528$uR4.3800@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
    > They are great tracking headphones too,
    > > because they really make things sound forward so you can track with
    > > lower levels in the cans.
    > > --scott
    >
    > That's what they're used for here, except for one of the fiddle players who
    > works here a lot. She can't stand them, so I keep a pair of Fostex around
    > just for her.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Martin
    > DMA, Inc
    > Nashville, TN

    I've still never heard a more functional set of phones for recording. They
    *are* the first to get shrill when made loud, but seem more 'revealing' to
    me than any other phones I've tried to get something out of. Clients have
    had a large variety of phones to choose from in my sessions for many
    years now... and by far, the most preferred set of phones is the 7506.

    --
    David Morgan (MAMS)
    http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

    "JP Gerard" <jpgerard@skynet.be> wrote in message news:428cbe47$0$8221$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...

    > The K240 Studio also have a ridiculously exagerated low end... IMHO...

    That's one cool thing about the 7506.... if you don't have too much
    low end, it won't sound exaggerated. (Same with the top, IMHO).

    ;-)

    DM

    My new favorite hp's are the Ultrasones. Less sonically fatiguing than
    the 7506 with a more spacious sounding presentation that translates well
    to monitor speakers.

    Eric

Pro Audio Audio