24 Channel PC ADAT I/O low$$ high quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Given that the *obvious* way to get 32 channels of ADAT I/O
in and out of a computer is the $500 Frontier Dakota/Montana
combo, what's the low$$$ high quality alternative?

> Given that the *obvious* way to get 32 channels of ADAT I/O
> in and out of a computer is the $500 Frontier Dakota/Montana
> combo, what's the low$$$ high quality alternative?

Hi Arny,

Are you asking for a solution that is less expensive than $500 but better
quality or the cheapest solution over $500? I'm cornfused. Also, with just
moving digital data around it seems like the only quality concerns would be
construction and software/drivers. Or are you thinking of something else?

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Steve" <sryannospam@tendb.com> wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

>> Given that the *obvious* way to get 32 channels of ADAT
I/O
>> in and out of a computer is the $500 Frontier
Dakota/Montana
>> combo, what's the low$$$ high quality alternative?

> Arnie.. Isn't the Dakota only 16 channel? You'd need two.
:(

Montana is the name of the 16 channel add-on card for the
Dakota.

"John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message

> > Given that the *obvious* way to get 32 channels of ADAT
I/O
> > in and out of a computer is the $500 Frontier
Dakota/Montana
> > combo, what's the low$$$ high quality alternative?

> Are you asking for a solution that is less expensive than
$500 but better
> quality or the cheapest solution over $500?

Yes

> Also, with just
> moving digital data around it seems like the only quality
concerns would be
> construction and software/drivers. Or are you thinking of
something else?

Just because moving digital data is conceptually simple,
doesn't mean that someone can't do it righter or cheaper
than someone else.

> "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>> > Given that the *obvious* way to get 32 channels of ADAT
> I/O
>> > in and out of a computer is the $500 Frontier
> Dakota/Montana
>> > combo, what's the low$$$ high quality alternative?
>
>> Are you asking for a solution that is less expensive than
> $500 but better
>> quality or the cheapest solution over $500?
>
> Yes

OK ;-)

Cheaper and possibly better, possible worse but probably about the same :
1 used MOTU 2408 MkI core system and one used 2408 MkI expander. 48 channels
ADAT I/O. Total cost somewhere between $200 to $400 ( depending on how good
a deal you score ). I'm selling mine on Ebay right now as a matter of fact.

More expensive and possibly better :
2 RME DIGI9636 cards. Under $800

I haven't used Frontier Designs or RME products so I'm just going off what
others have said.

>> Also, with just
>> moving digital data around it seems like the only quality
> concerns would be
>> construction and software/drivers. Or are you thinking of
> something else?
>
> Just because moving digital data is conceptually simple,
> doesn't mean that someone can't do it righter or cheaper
> than someone else.

So, besides the price possibly being too high, what is it about the Dakota
that you would like to see improved as far as quality?

Best of luck.

John L Rice

An RME HDSP9652 paired with another HDSP 9652 will get you 48 channels, plus
2 x S/Pdif pair for around $
$925.00. An RME HDSP 9632, plus a 9652 will get you 32 channels for around
the same price (you'll need the spdif on each card for clocking unless you
buy a clock module for the 9632 for another $125.00 +-. The 9632 also comes
with stereo analog I/O (96KHz capable).Your next option is an HDSP 9652 and
a Multiface/PCI card. About 1300.00 for for 32 channels I/O plus WC I/O on
both modules, spdif pair on both and * x ADC's and DAC's on the
Multiface.........then there's always the Lynx Technology stuff as well.

DJ

> > "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
ADAT I/O
Dakota/Montana

> >> Are you asking for a solution that is less expensive
than $00 but better
> >> quality or the cheapest solution over $500?

> > Yes

> Cheaper and possibly better, possible worse but probably
about the same :
> 1 used MOTU 2408 MkI core system and one used 2408 MkI
expander. 48 channels
> ADAT I/O. Total cost somewhere between $200 to $400 (
depending on how good
> a deal you score ). I'm selling mine on Ebay right now as
a matter of fact.

OK, if I get this right, the 2408 Mk1 or Mk2 which are
composed of a rack mounted interface and a 324 PCI card, or
a 2408 Mk3 which is composed of a rack mounted interface and
a 424 card, all support 24 channels of ADAT I/O.

2408 Mk1 and Mk2 systems seem to be going for $150-300 on
eBay. This seems like a viable alternative.

Anybody know how they work with Audition for recording?

> "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message

> ADAT I/O
> Dakota/Montana

> than $00 but better
>
>> > Yes
>
>> Cheaper and possibly better, possible worse but probably
> about the same :
>> 1 used MOTU 2408 MkI core system and one used 2408 MkI
> expander. 48 channels
>> ADAT I/O. Total cost somewhere between $200 to $400 (
> depending on how good
>> a deal you score ). I'm selling mine on Ebay right now as
> a matter of fact.
>

> OK, if I get this right, the 2408 Mk1 or Mk2 which are
> composed of a rack mounted interface and a 324 PCI card, or
> a 2408 Mk3 which is composed of a rack mounted interface and
> a 424 card, all support 24 channels of ADAT I/O.
>
> 2408 Mk1 and Mk2 systems seem to be going for $150-300 on
> eBay. This seems like a viable alternative.

Right.

FYIs :

Up to 3 rack mount MOTU interfaces can plug into a single PCI-324 card.

The older 2408 MkI and MkII, 308, 24i and 1296 will work with the older
PCI-324 card AND the current PCI-424 card. The newer interfaces, 2408
MkIII, 24I/O and HD192 will only work with the newer PCI-424 card.

A 'core' system includes the rack mount interface and the PCI card. An
'expander' only includes the rack mount interface. ( so get one core unit
and one expander ).

The older units usually only handle 44.1 and 48 kHz sample rates. ( no 32k
no 96 etc )

If you want to do a little A/D D/A with the 2408 too, the MkI only has 20
bit converters on unbalanced RCA jacks. The MkII has 24 bit on balanced
TRS.

reddred wrote:

> > Given that the *obvious* way to get 32 channels of ADAT I/O
> > in and out of a computer is the $500 Frontier Dakota/Montana
> > combo, what's the low$$$ high quality alternative?
> >

> I think that the Frontier stuff is the alternative to the $600 RME
> hammerfall. 'Last year's' version of the RME card should be
relatively cheap
> on ebay.
>
> jb

Last 'year's' models:

Two of the RME Digi9636 will do this,
they can be synced internally.
Or 4 of the Terratec EWS88D.
I'm using the HDSP9652 with Audition
but that's only 24 I/O (lightpipe) of course.

rd

> "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message

> ADAT I/O
> Dakota/Montana

> than $00 but better
>
> > > Yes
>
> > Cheaper and possibly better, possible worse but probably
> about the same :
> > 1 used MOTU 2408 MkI core system and one used 2408 MkI
> expander. 48 channels
> > ADAT I/O. Total cost somewhere between $200 to $400 (
> depending on how good
> > a deal you score ). I'm selling mine on Ebay right now as
> a matter of fact.
>

> OK, if I get this right, the 2408 Mk1 or Mk2 which are
> composed of a rack mounted interface and a 324 PCI card, or
> a 2408 Mk3 which is composed of a rack mounted interface and
> a 424 card, all support 24 channels of ADAT I/O.

Correct. In addition to 24 channels of TDIF.

> 2408 Mk1 and Mk2 systems seem to be going for $150-300 on
> eBay. This seems like a viable alternative.

You don't even need two complete systems for 32 channels. One 324 PCI card
supports three rack-mount interfaces.

Predrag