Lost OEM DVD: still have registration key and upgrade dvd

Gell

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hi there,

About a year and a half ago I've bought a Windows 7 home premium 64x OEM version with my self-built PC. A while ago the internet convinced me to buy an SSD, so I did. I also thought it was time for a clean install since it would be a good riddance of all the junk collected over the past time slowing down my computer. I then realised I have lost my OEM dvd, which I lended out to someone who had lost his. He said he lost mine too... Now luckily I didn't give him the box, so I still have my registration key. I also have some Windows 7 upgrade dvd's: both Professional 64x and Ultimate 32x. Can I use these to make a clean install of Windows 7 on my new SSD?

TL/DR: Can I use an upgrade dvd of either windows 7 Professional64x/Ultimate32x somehow to do a clean install of my legal Windows 7 Home Premium 64x OEM key on my SSD, whilst keeping the option to upgrade to Windows 8 sometime in the future?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Solution
There was a handy little utility around called ABR that backed up your keys and put them back in post install which I used to use on Vista (not sure if it works on 7 or not, doubt it would do any damage running it though). It was very handy for doing a nice clean install without all the dreadful oem rubbish.

Gell

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
For people with similar issues:

I've heard on different forums where I've asked this question that it is indeed possible to use the option I've mentioned in this thread.
There's also another way to download the OEM ISO for all versions legally(as long as you have a valid registration key).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/628674-can-i-legally-download-windows-7-oem-iso-anywhere.html

The link above explains how to do this. I've gone with this solution, and will update with results.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
There was a handy little utility around called ABR that backed up your keys and put them back in post install which I used to use on Vista (not sure if it works on 7 or not, doubt it would do any damage running it though). It was very handy for doing a nice clean install without all the dreadful oem rubbish.

Solution

Gell

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

I've checked it out, and there seems to be a version of Windows 7 as well. unfortunately, many people have reported faults with this version. Supposedly because of the difference between Windows versions distributed as OEM already preinstalled on PC made by Dell and such, and home-built PC's with an OEM version bought with it.