Sign in with
Your question

Who Designed This Crap? Smart Phones Stink, PDA Phones Rule

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
May 16, 2006 11:27:19 AM

Smart phones are all the rage these days. Barry Gerber looks at two popular smart phones and a PDA with a built-in phone. His conclusions will surprise you and the telecoms that are making a killing every which way but straight up on smart phones.
May 16, 2006 2:23:33 PM

Neither one of the Motolola phones in this article are SmartPhones.
Nowadays all the phones are called this way, but this doesn't make them "Smart".
What I'm trying to say is that comparting a BlackBerry with a standard phone is unfair. I know those two motorola phones. They're cool, but the software is crap.
If you want to have a good competitor for the BlackBerry in "phone-size", look for other phones using "Windows mobile". Speaking of Motorola, they have the MPX220, a clamshell phone with a 200Mhz processor, MiniSD slot, 1Mpx camera and bluetooth. And it works wonders with Outlook or Exchange. And is smaller.
May 16, 2006 3:03:21 PM

So, where are the smarthphones on this article?
I see none. Motorola smartphones are the Mpx series, namely Mpx200, Mpx220 and (prototype) Mpx300.

The razr is just a phone with a big screen. nothing else. It even has little memory to store data and there is no way to install new programs nor expand the memory. Its just a phone with all eye-candy and marketing arround it. Let alone the v557 which is just a common and current "basic" cell phone.

The Mpx's on the other side are practically phone-sized computers. I have the Mpx200 with 1gig memory card and its really far more useful than a razr.
It is a pendrive, phone, Mp3 player, navigation assistant, wireless modem, etc etc. It is not like a phone with windows mobile, it is like a computer with a phone.

Now, i think that comparing a PDA with a Smarthphone is like comparing a laptop with a desktop. Both have similar funcionality. But they were designed with different objectives in mind.

This article is not writen from a neutral standpoint. It looks like if it had been writen by a fanboy of PDA's willing to rant about "smartphones". And to make it worse the "Smartphones" featured on this article are not even smartphones, but just common cell phones.
the article should be rewriten to include REAL smartphones. And rewriten from a more neutral perspective.
I read THG to get constructive comments about hardware, not to hear kids ranting about something they dislike. There are forums and blogs for that.

(If you find mistakes in my writing, let me know. English is not my native languaje).
Related resources
May 16, 2006 3:56:47 PM

I've been thinking about getting a Palm Treo 650 for quite some time now. I would really like to see a nice functionality review of one. Especially with the document/email capabilities of DataViz's Documents to go/Inbox to go.
May 16, 2006 3:56:48 PM

A nice feature dumb phones have is predictive typing, T9, eZiTAP and iTAP are the most famous and most let you type be pressing each button once.

Opera Mini has been available in many parts of the world and lets you browse html pages on regular phones too. And there are others too like NetFront browser, not quite sure of the name but the SE W600 has it.
May 16, 2006 4:11:39 PM

So i read the article and the question asked is why pda phones are out bought by the smart phone. First not everyone has 300-500 dollars to blow on a phone. Most smart phones you can get for 50-100 dollars. I got a $100 smart phone free when i signed a new contract with cingular. Most people do that as well. Im not dissing the pda, cause i want one when i have the money, but because i run a business. Smart phones are sleek in design and small, you can put them right in your pocket, Blackberrys and most pdas are big and you cant really put them in your pocket. Its a fad thing, kids and most adults dont want to be walkin around with some gigantic thing on the waste, thats what losers do, or they would say that. Another thing is the text messaging thing on having to press the button many times, People have had to do that before pdas ever came out so most people i know that text message can fly through that, probably faster than anyone on here can type a text message on their pdas. So conclusion, smart phones are cheaper and sleeker and more fashionable, while pdas are more user friendly and are over all better pice of technology. But technology will never overcome fashion in the world today.
May 16, 2006 4:20:33 PM

who wrote this crap? here I am expecting a decent comparison of "smartphones" to PDA+phone and then I read this article... I agree with everyone in this post regarding a clear lack of actual smartphones, but what makes this article even more useless is it failed to develop both sides of the argument and only rambled about all poor features of motorola phones and not contrasting those to the Blackbery. the writer must have an axe to grind.
May 16, 2006 4:22:13 PM

I just checked out the mpx220 on moto's site, it seems like a nice phone. I still have a prob with the keypad.

My standing is as such: Use my ipaq for the usefull stuff, im, web access, organizer, gps navigation, voip calls, all when in wifi range (most everywhere I go) and use my LG 6100 for Calls. Two devices sure, but the pda is far better for everything else than the simplified controls of a smartphone. It works flawlessly with my exchange server, IM server, and Asterisk server at home with no provider costs, let me say that again NO PROVIDER COSTS.The only difference usability wise with the mpx220 and the phones reviewed, is the inclusion of win mobile features, all the trates of a cell phone still apply, small screen, poor keypad, etc. So I understand his reasoning for not specifically targeting "smart phones" as they have the same issues as "basic phones".

I don't think this series is meant to be a neutral bunch of articles. He's challenging technology from his own perspective. The forums are a great place to put out OUR ideas and reasons why we thing OUR ideas are better than his. It's a great discussion starter. I personally think it's a good idea.

I also think predictive typing sucks, I can still type ten times faster with my fingertip on my pda than the predictive type, plus my vocabulary has way too many words not in their dictionaries.
May 16, 2006 4:35:03 PM

Quote:
Smart phones are all the rage these days. Barry Gerber looks at two popular smart phones and a PDA with a built-in phone. His conclusions will surprise you and the telecoms that are making a killing every which way but straight up on smart phones.

You're kidding here. Aren´t you?
How can you compare those mobile phones? The two "smartphones" are more likely to be a greate design mobile phones with some more features. The blackberry is the opposite. A swiss "army electronic knife" with one funny feature: you can make calls (and judging by the size, maybe pizzas too).

As for the size of the buttons that you are allways complaining...I´m pretty sure you have to take off the baseball gloves to type a message!
May 16, 2006 4:37:23 PM

I'll stick with my smart phone, thanks.

- T9 word is pretty effective and I can type quickly and accurately with it.

- All I really want is a phone that is small and makes calls. The fact that it plays mp3s, takes pics/videos, does email & internet, etc is all bonus stuff.

- I just like the smaller, simpler flip up smart phones better - because after all, I just want a phone.

I don't really think this makes a convincing case for why smart phones are crap, rather, only why PDA phones are great devices. But they are very different and appeal to different people. Youth & kids probably don't want a big PDA phone, however if I was a business man I'd probably want a PDA phone because I would need and want it for that purpose.

Audience, my friend. Smart phones have a market and so do PDA phones...

Like I said, I'll stick with my smart phone.
May 16, 2006 4:40:32 PM

One of the biggest downfalls of the industry is the greed of the service providers. The only way to get a Treo 650 from Telus is to buy a really expensive package that includes talk AND data plans. There is no option to use just the phone capabilities of the Treo 650 and use it as a PDA alone. I don't need to get my email and surf the web on a mobile device. I just want to combine the funtionality of a cell phone and a convenience of a PDA into one device.

If the greedy service providers were more flexible with service plans instead of forcing customers to buy services they don't want they would sell alot more high end devices such as the Treo 650.

And don't get me started on wanting to make my own ringtones for smartphones. Having to buy a $50 dollar CDROM to do something that should have been included with the phone is criminal.

Is there a CEO that is available for a good slapping?
Cheers.
May 16, 2006 4:56:16 PM

The crap articles, I think, are part of the new look at tomhardware, whenever you see a title with "who designed this crap" it pretty much means it's a rant and should be read as such.

I like rants, rants are cool, they remind you not to believe everything a salesman says or anything you read... as long as it does not mean a smaller number of serious, objective and comparative articles. And honestly I've been reading more of those at anandtech's than tom's lately.

People expecting a serious product comparison from an article with "crap" in it's title just lacks jugment...

Now, on the smartphones topic, I've been a Blackberry user and hated it, first because of the size and shape (feels like talking in the TV remote) Also, it sounded like a can with a string in it. Another thing I hated was e-mail attachments... I just couldn't open most of them! (I have to admit I had the last of the monochrome RIMs)

I am now the happy user of an Audiovox SMT5600 with windows mobile! of course I don't type much on it because of the phone keyboard but I get to read my e-mails, most attachments, calendar, contacts and store files!

My only comment against the article is that it compared RIMs to dumb phones and not smartphones. On the other hand there is enough to rant about cellular providers and their sales and marketting people... their lack of support ect to write a book... and call it "The satanic verses of mobility"
May 16, 2006 4:58:03 PM

Of course, whether you see the razr etc as a smartphone or not you can't assume people are buying it for that type of functionality. i think the market hype greatly exagerates the popularity of web browsing/game/cameras/etc on phone. Most everyone I know want a phone that is easy to carry (ok and cool looking too) and could care less about the rest. I've never once gone online from my razr, partly because I get charged extra, and partly because I'd rather do so from work or from home where I get a full screen, full keyboard, and a freaking fast net connection. While the camera is a fun toy the resolution and features blow compared to my cheapo digital camera and it had no effect on my buying decision. And every cell phone on the planet provides good enough text messaging for most people's usage.

Conclusion: smart phones/pda phones functionality might matter to business users but the sleek basic cell will out sell due to price and size as most people couldn't give a da$n about the other features.
May 16, 2006 5:07:01 PM

Smart Phones Stink, PDA Phones are for people with only one testicle.

a cellphone is a cellphone, i want it able to make and receive calls, and that's all i want. would i ever want to carry your so called "super small size" smart phones? no, they are neither small and i dont need all those useless functionalities. would i ever want a PDA phone? HELL NO, if carrying a PDA phone makes you feel like you can do lots more things than others, and thus compensating your emotional feelings because you only have one testicle, go ahead.

......and yes, i am still using my nokia 8890.
May 16, 2006 5:20:05 PM

Ok, so my thinking on this article was that the forums have died down a bit, so lets put up an article designed to antagonize readers.

What on earth was Barry thinking comparing two such dissimilar products with two entirely different target markets. If your going to crucify smart phones byt complaining that they don't do PDA functions as well as PDA's, at least do it to the ones that are intended to be used as PDA replacements. Taking a fashion phone like the RAZR and complaining it doesn't have a keyboard seems to miss the point entirely. Its a personal accessory, not a productivity tool, having a full alpha-num keyboard would make it look a bit funny and somewhat bulky in your back pocket.

Don't like smartphones? That's ok, but at least make a relatively straightforward and relevant comparison with UIQ smartphones.

Don't know what a UIQ smartphone is? Take a look at the Motorola A1000, the SE P910 or new P990. These phones are at least targetted at PDA phones. Comparing consumer smartphones to business PDAs is about as usefull a criticism as complaining that the PDA phone doesn't fit in your back pocket and doesn't come in pink.

One final note: although I've never used the SyncML application, its my understanding that it does exactly what Barry complained the smartphone couldn't do; it synchronizes email and contacts while mobile.
May 16, 2006 5:59:51 PM

I recently picked up a used Treo 600 and have been very happy with the ability to sink my OUTLOOK contacts and calendar. Using this phone the short time I have has already shown me the promise of things to come.
I agree with the poster who thinks $$$ may be the reason PDA phones have dropped off. After using one, I have no doubt I'll kick $ for it's replacement when the time comes.

jmho
May 16, 2006 6:45:00 PM

Article should have also looked at pocket pc phones such as TMO MDA and Verizon XV6700.

I own an ipaq h6315, and all I can say is that it has done more for me than a cell phone and blackberry COMBINED.

My only gripe is that the h6315 has a less-than-perfect radio module.

Other than that, however, pocket pc phones are the best devices out there considering everything that they can do.
May 16, 2006 7:14:23 PM

Quote:

if carrying a PDA phone makes you feel like you can do lots more things than others, and thus compensating your emotional feelings because you only have one testicle, go ahead.

I have a Morotola V710. It has alot of utilities but they are very lacking in functionality. PDA's offer alot more options in terms of usability and visibility. The V710 lacks a notepad for making a shopping list or a parts list. The contact lists is also very lacking with no space for addresses or even an email address.

As for your comment about only having one testicle? You may have both nuts but are lacking the grey matter needed to operate a more complex device such as a PDA. You may also be lacking in other departments as well and I should go into detail because of your lack of grey matter...but this isn't the time or the place for that. You'll have to pull back your waistband and figure that one out for yourself.

Cheers BAkku
May 16, 2006 7:30:00 PM

Apples and Oranges ... and I’m still waiting for the compare and contrast.
May 16, 2006 7:46:38 PM

who the hell let this jerk waste valuble cover space!!! First off.. research first what a real smart phone is, then make a vs. topic. i would expect better from tg writers.
May 16, 2006 8:13:07 PM

Barry's article is dissapointing at best. If he is given the benefit of the doubt then he is just a misinformed and lazy writer who spent 2 min thinking up an idea for a story and then just writing it. At worst he is pourposly misleading the readers of THG for his own reasons. In either case isnt there editors who have to look at this crap and approve it? Its a sad, sad day when I cant trust THG.
May 16, 2006 8:36:25 PM

Quote:

if carrying a PDA phone makes you feel like you can do lots more things than others, and thus compensating your emotional feelings because you only have one testicle, go ahead.

I have a Morotola V710. It has alot of utilities but they are very lacking in functionality. PDA's offer alot more options in terms of usability and visibility. The V710 lacks a notepad for making a shopping list or a parts list. The contact lists is also very lacking with no space for addresses or even an email address.

As for your comment about only having one testicle? You may have both nuts but are lacking the grey matter needed to operate a more complex device such as a PDA. You may also be lacking in other departments as well and I should go into detail because of your lack of grey matter...but this isn't the time or the place for that. You'll have to pull back your waistband and figure that one out for yourself.

Cheers BAkku

my joke is quite offending (didnt realize it when i was typing my reply), i apologize for that. my point is if i want a cellphone, i only need a cellphone. i think it's quite true that someone mentioned it in this thread, PDAs are having this "weird feature" allowing you to use it as a cellphone. all i want for a cellphone are portability, long battery life, and good call quality. for example, when i step out for lunch, i can leave my PDA in the office and just bring my cellphone with me. it seems pretty stupid to me that if i'll have to carry a brick with me all the time, that just makes no sense. of course everyone has different opinions on this, i am just telling my point of view.

btw, the one testicle man is just a joke, if i offended you (kinda implies maybe you only has one testicle? joking joking), i apologize for that.

cheers.
May 16, 2006 9:13:55 PM

Ok someone really didn't do their homework when making this review.

Regular Phones (w/ crap like camera and bluetooth):
Moto Razr V3
Moto V557

Smart Phones:
Cingular 2125

PDA Phones:
Blackberry
HP iPAQ hw6510

If you are looking for a phone then your regular phone is great. You can even take pictures if you want or get the free phone and put-up with so so reception. Smart Phones are actually phones with decent PDA fuctionality, but without the large keyboard or oversized screen. I think some of the Blackberry phones can be considered Smart Phones. PDA phones are just large PDAs with phone capabilities. Some of these phones don't get the same reception as a Regular phone, but you get way more PDA type fuctionality.

If you are looking for PDA functionality then take a look at the PDA phones and the Smart Phones. Some of the people I know only want to view their calendar and tasks on their phone, but not make changes. A Smart Phone is perfect for that, but if you are a remote user where you want to send recieve emails and make calendar entries then you will need a PDA phone and my recommendation is a Blackberry.

Other
May 16, 2006 9:29:57 PM

These "Who designed this crap" articles are absolutely horrible. They're totally uninformative rants that don't even try to show both sides of the issue. I can't believe this is on the front page of Tom's Hardware. Not only is the content horrible, but the grammar is on a 5th grade level. This guy should NOT be writing for Tom's.
May 16, 2006 9:36:56 PM

OK... sure, grab two high-priced and 'feature-rich', but otherwise normal cell phones, call them smart phones, and start trashing them for not being comparable to PDAs? Seriously, I would say that it is just this article, but this kind of stuff is starting to be common with THG. For example, this article was hilarious:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/17/thecus_brings_sa...

Throughout the entire article they were mentioning how "Thecus could come out with one with network functionality". Um... hello? They already did! And no, it wasn't even implemented the way you said it would be. Did you even check Thecus's site before posting? No... apparently not.

Likewise, the author of this article didn't even seem to know what a real smart phone is. For that matter, the previous poster didn't really know either, and said this:

"Smart Phones are actually phones with decent PDA fuctionality, but without the large keyboard or oversized screen."

No, also not true. The ones with smaller screnes and standard phone keyboards are just crippled smart phones. Sure the Cingular 2125 is a decent phone and all, but I wouldn't compare it to a SOLID smart phone, that actually has a good screen and keyboard, but is not strictly a PDA phone.

If you want a good smart phone... well, a couple people here have already mentioned the Motorola MPx220. That's great. Personally, however, I prefer the T-Mobile MDA, I-Mate K-Jam, etc etc. It is a phone that is sold by several different vendors, but here is a URL for it:

http://www.clubimate.com/t-DETAILS_KJAM.aspx

Likewise, the Nokia's 9xxx series is great too. The trick is making a good phone and HIDING the keyboard, while still providing a large screen, and a lot of great smart phones do that, while also providing things like memory slots and all.

Please THG, start doing basic research, like checking manufacturer sites, before writing these articles? Had the author checked out Motorola's site, they would have seen what a real smart phone was. Had the author of that other article gone to Thecus's site, they would have seen what their networked 2HD device was. This is just embarrassing.
May 17, 2006 4:16:50 AM

Hmmmm. Those ugly things you reviewed ARE indeed crap. What sort of excuse for a keyboard do you call those things? BLEECH.

No - the device I want is the Palm LifeDrive with built in Phone. That's the only thing it lacks, and I can't for the life of me, figure out why the LifeDrive unit doesn't include a phone - it's just amzingly, pathetically dumb.

Those lame-ass "thumb boards" are designed to give you RSI and frustrate the crap out of you.

Palm Graffiti II is excellent, and works well, but you need a half-VGA screen (like the Lifedrive) to make surfing the web acceptable.

So, once the lifedrive gets a phone attached, and a virtual (projected) keyboard, and a battery that'll operate for 12 hours, then the day of smart phones will finally be here.

Until then, what you'll be looking at is a heap of shit with a crap keyboard, a crap screen, fusk-all storage, piss-all memory, bugger-all applications, fucked connectivity and the thing they'll do best is burns through money, while annoying and frustrating their owners.
May 17, 2006 5:46:18 AM

The solution to the dillemma is to just get a Bluetooth compatable PDA and a little bluetooth phone as a transmitter "brick" that you keep in your pocket. Works with any computer or PDA - and some, like the LifeDrive or an IPaq, are stunning for viewing web images. I like the Blackberrys, but my Zire 72 has a screen that the Blackberry would sell its ram to Bil Gates for. The Life Drive is even better - just shockingly clear and the web browser Palm ships is nice(though there are others - you can even get a stripped-down version of FireFox if you want.

But all of that aside - the reviewer really REALLY needs to check out some of the better Nokia phones. Their interface is far superior to Motorolla's crud.

Also, T-Mobile is the *only* provider anymore than actually gives you a real internet connection for cheap. So you can say, go to a site like this and do what I'm doing right now. The others have two tiers - business access(usually $70-$100 a month) or their "free" internet - which is basically cripple-ware and their own sub-net of common reformatted sites.

T-Mobile does Edge(256K down, 56K up) and is only $20 a month more. It has no features - it's just a blank port to the net, which is perfect for those of us with PDAs and laptops.

A $150(used, mint condition) Zire 72s with a free edge-compatable bluetooth phone(hardly any bigger than a box of Tic-Tacs) from T-Mobile is a superb deal. One sits in my pocket, forgotten. The other I carry around and use exactly like a Blackberry.
May 17, 2006 4:24:14 PM

This article pushed me to register on this forum just to post this message and to unsubscribe from everything TH.

What the hell is this article about? YOU ARE COMPARING A PIECE OF CRAP MOTO TO A FREAKING BLACKBERRY!!! Saying its like comparing apples to oranges doesnt quite cut it.

A razr, a smartphone, that almost made me laugh. A V557!!! How old is that sh**?? Maybe you can compare a nokia series 60 phone to a blackberry. Maybe you can compare a windows mobile SMARTPHONE (like the HTC 2125) to a blackberry. But you are better off comparing devices that fight for the same market. How about comparing a windows mobile 5 pda phone like HTC 8125 to a blackberry. THAT would make sense because both phones serve a similar market.

Now compairng the slim, "hip" RAZR to a rock solid bussiness centric device... WTF!! This article is garbage...
May 17, 2006 4:55:33 PM

Dose it really suprise anyone that Barry hasnt popped in even once to defend this piece of excrement article he wrote? I would though like to see someone from THG let us know when this biased pig is gonna get fired. We all know you cant be so stupid as to write this articel this skwed and biased on accident. I have trusted THG for many many years. To continue to have this trust though THG cant allow articles like this to be ewven a link to a small article near thier domain much less be put on the front page. Get rid of Barry. Please.
May 17, 2006 9:58:08 PM

Quote:
Dose it really suprise anyone that Barry hasnt popped in even once to defend this piece of excrement article he wrote? I would though like to see someone from THG let us know when this biased pig is gonna get fired. We all know you cant be so stupid as to write this articel this skwed and biased on accident. I have trusted THG for many many years. To continue to have this trust though THG cant allow articles like this to be ewven a link to a small article near thier domain much less be put on the front page. Get rid of Barry. Please.

That's the thing though, it isn't just Barry and it isn't right to lay all the blame at his feet. THG has had a general decline for some time. The article that I had mentioned previously had two different authors, and other articles have had other authors. THG is starting to focus on just pushing a lot out the doors, and not on pushing out quality content. So don't just blame the author, all of THG is doing it.
May 17, 2006 11:09:58 PM

Quote:

That's the thing though, it isn't just Barry and it isn't right to lay all the blame at his feet. THG has had a general decline for some time. The article that I had mentioned previously had two different authors, and other articles have had other authors. THG is starting to focus on just pushing a lot out the doors, and not on pushing out quality content. So don't just blame the author, all of THG is doing it.

I guess then I have been blinded by my many years of trust for this site. Sad. So now that I no longer have THG as a site to trust anymore (Been my home page for the last 6 years) Got a suggestion on a new place that I can trust for reviews and the like?
May 18, 2006 12:18:17 AM

Hmmm makes you wonder how much Blackberry could have paid for this article... I guess it was only a matter of time :( 

Matt.
May 18, 2006 2:21:57 AM

No one has mentioned one crucial advantage to the phones - you look like a tool talking on your PDA's

:p 

I don't really think Tom's expects anyone to base decisions off this guys articles - they're obviously just opinionated and often quite humorous rants and should be taken as entertainment. I enjoy them even if I don't agree with them (as in this case...lol @ smartphone choices!) Have a sense of humour people, as if its worth getting in a lather over this!

Cheers for making me laugh though.
May 18, 2006 2:46:15 AM

Problem is Fred,

People often come to THG not for the humor. They are not known for humor nor should they be, given this article.

The "crap" rants have been ill conceived and ill written. The one about the social workers, spent pages to say the size of the notebooks was wrong and the social workers have to print two pages instead of one which causes them more work (I hope i summed that up well). Boy that is a whole lot to be upset about and man the tech that was mentioned in that article was cool "oh wait" there really was no tech in that article? Is this a tech website?

As said many times before me on this thread, they are not smartphones.

May as well compare a brick and a bat.

Had this article actually contained even two minutes research you would have probably picked one maybe two vendors and compared their offerings. One cool thing! If you go to most vendors sites and search for phones they have a category that states "these are smartphones and PDA phones".

For instance in the GSM world you have mainly two vendors (US) to choose from Cingluar (formerly Cingular and AT&T) and TMobile. Cingular has/had a few Smart phone offerings, the SMT-5600 from Audiovox, the MPX series from Motorola (not the razr), and their own 2125 (I think this is basically an Imate). And in their PDA department they have an even larger assortment. You may choose from the HP6515 (GPS enabled and w/wo camera), the 8125, the treo 650 (with a little research also could figure on the 700w releasing soon), and even a Nokia. TMobile has basically two offerings in these categories mainly the SDA and MDA.

In the CDMA world (EVDO enabled) you find probably one of the best converged devices I have seen yet the 6700 series which is carried by both Sprint and Verizon. It is a PPC PDA phone running the Windows Mobile 5.0 OS (persistant data even on battery failure). It has a slide out qwerty keyboard (quite useable) and it also suports WIFI, BT, RTT (basically your home modem on steriods), and EVDO connectivity. It can be used as a wired/wireless tether to your laptop to give you anywhere broadband speeds (EVDO available) on your laptop or using the same option with RTT you get a respectable 128k. I like this device because I own it.

These are real smart phones with their multi-use capabilities. They can be used for MP3 playback, Video Playback, contacts, apointments, data tanks, cameras, portabile ebook reader, electronic bible, calculator (all varieties), ...... and so much more this is really the top of the iceberg.

THG... do some research... and if you want to be funny you might want to tell us that it was meant to be humor, because so far it may be a little difficult to tell.
May 18, 2006 5:59:03 AM

I would like to state first and foremost that I love the idea of the Smart Phone. I think the major problem is that on the business side most corporations fail to understand the whole point of the Smart Phone. Here are the facts most corporations do not listen to customers. This means that the same issues and mistake keep occurring.

I think that in the very near future the Smart Phone will be your portable communication and entertainment solution, it will be your Video Ipod, it will stream video and music, and it will be a portable storage device. It will be a palm sized Laptop. It will become very powerful. This will happen in about 3 to 5 years from now. We have a bunch of very important innovations that will allow all of this to occur. Cheaper larger flash hard drives will be installed in the Smart Phones. They will be 3G with very powerful internal microprocessors. We also have a break thru in battery technology that is on the horizon. They are going to become very slim. Also a larger part of the population will be connecting to the internet via the Smart Phone. The price of remaining connected to the internet via these devices will drop. Children who are always connected will begin to purchase more Side Kick and Treo etc type of devices because they will have games that children can play and simultaneously interact will children online. This is the worst time in the world for Smart Phones because we are in the very early stages of what will be a device that has most of the little personal communication and personal entertainment bases covered, but we have 3 to 5 years to wait before the are truly remarkable devices. We have all of the things that we need but we cannot keep the price down at this time and companies just don’t get it yet.

The PDA is dead because it has a major part of the users needs covered, but it does not have what we need now! The PDA’s time has come and gone. We needed it; we used it, now it is time to move on to devices that address the need of the 2006 user.
May 18, 2006 6:48:44 PM

guys, move to europe, the phones are better and cheaper, and you never get charged for incoming calls except if you're abroad (which might change though, hopefully) :) .

some links to mobiles offered in austria:
http://drei.at/OfferMobiles.wa
or the UK:
http://www.mobile360.co.uk

especially the nokia E and N series phones.
May 19, 2006 6:25:59 AM

Quote:

Also, T-Mobile is the *only* provider anymore than actually gives you a real internet connection for cheap. So you can say, go to a site like this and do what I'm doing right now. The others have two tiers - business access(usually $70-$100 a month) or their "free" internet - which is basically cripple-ware and their own sub-net of common reformatted sites.

T-Mobile does Edge(256K down, 56K up) and is only $20 a month more. It has no features - it's just a blank port to the net, which is perfect for those of us with PDAs and laptops.

A $150(used, mint condition) Zire 72s with a free edge-compatable bluetooth phone(hardly any bigger than a box of Tic-Tacs) from T-Mobile is a superb deal. One sits in my pocket, forgotten. The other I carry around and use exactly like a Blackberry.

You have no idea what you are talking about. In fact t-mo is probably the only carrier that limits it's non paying customers to where they can go on the internet on their phone.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=518666

Cingular does not block any ports whether you have a data plan or not and I have not heard anything that says verizon or sprint blocks anything either.

With regards to the article; I usually like them but this one lacked research and was way off base!

This is the first time I've ever been disappointed in a tomshardware article:( 
May 19, 2006 9:30:08 AM

Quote:
Hmmm makes you wonder how much Blackberry could have paid for this article... I guess it was only a matter of time :( 

Matt.

You know what, i registered only to say that too.

This "article" could also be named "I hope nobody sees the 'hidden' blackberry commercial"
May 21, 2006 3:30:20 PM

Truly amazing.

Good conclusion based on the wrong evidence. There are no smartphones nor PDA Phones reviewed for this article!

Just plain dumbfounding!
May 21, 2006 3:35:16 PM

Quote:
No one has mentioned one crucial advantage to the phones - you look like a tool talking on your PDA's.

Must not know in the US we have BlueTooth headsets. That's all one sees, although talking into empty space does discomfit some passerbys! :D 
May 21, 2006 10:49:13 PM

The writer of this article is incompetent when it comes to mobile devices. A regular phone is in no way smart, it is just a tool for voice calls and text messaging, at most you can sync it to outlook and get your address book in it. Smart phones are phones with operating systems that programs can be written for, ex: linux, windows CE/Mobile, Symbian but don't have a keyboard or stylus input. The ones that have a keypad and stylus input are PDA phones. The razr is a fashion device and nothing else.
May 22, 2006 1:55:45 AM

Who Wrote This Crap? Must be from the US who thinks that the Moto RAZR crap is a smartphone. I guess it must be because it has color display? LOL. Smartphones are the SE P910/990/M600, Nokia N70/80/90/E60/70 series, Motorola A1200, you moron.
May 24, 2006 5:57:15 AM

Quote:
Who Wrote This Crap? Must be from the US who thinks that the Moto RAZR crap is a smartphone. I guess it must be because it has color display? LOL. Smartphones are the SE P910/990/M600, Nokia N70/80/90/E60/70 series, Motorola A1200, you moron.

Hey. Just because that "Tool" Barry Gerber is in the US is no reason to judge us all. In fact I speak for the entire country when I say that Barry should go live with the french.
September 14, 2006 2:51:13 PM

This article would have done better if it compared Blackberry against real PDA phones, like the HTC Wizard / Qtek 9100 / T-Mobile MDA Vario or whatever they are called in your country. These phones have a full QWERTY keyboard and Windows Mobile 5 and I use it to it's fullest potential with 3 mail accounts, chatting, IE, and all apps available. Here in Europe we have a hard time convincing bosses NOT to go for Nokia N70's, which are in the same range, and don't do it for me by a long shot. Kudo's to HTC and others realizing the shortcomings of all these small mainstream smartphones, and the need for small size / big screen / QWERTY keyboard and a well designed OS combination.
September 14, 2006 7:45:25 PM

LOL

Funny article.

Comparing a Porcsche to a Kia!

I have a TMOBILE MDA (HTC 8XXX) i think. Now that is a smart phone. I had a Blackberry 79XX model, it was okay. The MDA is basically a small laptop, I can even manage my network from the built in Terminal Server client. Lol, beyond that all teh emulators and free software i dont see myself going back to a normal phone or "Smart" phone, PDA phones are just to damn powerful.

-Shawn
!