Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
I will soon get my raptor so i might just as well ask now since i never used serial ata or raid before. i have an Asus A7N8X/deluxe board and i wounder what kind i setup i should use for the Raptor ??? as i understand raid is only for when u have 2 identical drivers right ? can i make the sata drive c: ???

FallOutBoyTonto

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
i wounder what kind i setup i should use for the Raptor
Be more specific, what's your current setup?

as i understand raid is only for when u have 2 identical drivers right
It doesn't have to be but it is highly recommended that they be the same, otherwise there may be difficulties.

can i make the sata drive c:
Yes, thats how I have mine setup (2x Raptor, RAID 0 as C:) But even if you'll be using only one sata drive, you'll still have to create a RAID array with one drive. Not too sure why but thats the way it is, you'll need the RAID drivers that are included with your mobo in the bundled CD-ROM.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=24106" target="_new"> My System Rig</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=535386" target="_new"> 3DMark03</A>

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
Oh no. Must I still have to create a RAID array with one drive only ???, why? if so that sux and i wish i never bought a raptor since i cant afford another one !!! : (

CaveInfiltrator

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
i dont think that is what he ment. you just have to use RAID to setup the raptor because of the technology. you dont need another drive in the array but rather you need to set it up AS an array, only with one drive.

least that what it sounded like to me. ;o)

Jesse

OSI, ISO, ITU-T, IETF, IEEE, WEP, 802.1X IPSec, ISAKMP, ATM, FR, 802.3, X.25, 802.11, 802.5, MPLS, RIP, OSPF...
Welcome to the acronym industry.

FallOutBoyTonto

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
But if i create an array won't there be a problem to identify the hd when putting it in another computer ?
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=543770#543770" target="_new"> Clicky</A>

Try searching the boards once in a while, the questions most likely have already been asked and answered. Also, what caveinfiltrator is right; you don't need another drive in the array but rather you need to set it up AS an array.

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
Basically for RAID Support on Motherboards Only RAID 0 and 1 are supported.

RAID 0 - Striping provides no added data protection,
the speed of storage is increased because
the system will treat multiple, (usually only 2),
hard drives as a single drive.
Once the drives are striped together though,
they cannot be placed on a conventional IDE
controller, nor can they be separated. Data
has been spread across these drives and they
are a combined unit. There may be cases
where a controller that had been used to stripe
a drive set may not be compatible with another
controller.
Usually on motherboard RAID controllers if you
have only one drive, you configure the system for
striping with only one drive assigned to the
Array. ("Array" being a term used by RAID
controllers. An "Array" is basically, what the
hardware will see as a single drive, and
the controller allows you to organize what
drives will be in the array, and how they will
be used.)

RAID 1 - Is Mirroring. Where one drive contains the
identical data in another drive. If one a
single drive fails you still have your data,
and the system still runs.
Read times are often improved because most
controllers will enable reading to be distributed
between drives. Sometimes write times will be
increased, but it's not normally the case anymore.

Most motherboard controllers really only handle RAID 0 and RAID 1, so those are probably you only choices.

Simply put RAID 0 is for speed, and RAID 1 is more for data protection.

I, personally, happen to be "VERY fond" of the Raptor drives. They tend to be a bit heavier than standard drives, they produce a bit more heat but not that much, they are pretty quiet although I know some people that have complained about higher pitched sounds from them, and their performance is quiet pleasing.

Also SATA should have an advantage or IDE since each drive, at least in theory, could be accessed simultaneously. (it seems to work on the Promise S150 TX4 cards, but that's all I've played with extensively.)

I also think this is still true!

Windows 2000, (this is true), and Windows XP, (I think this is true), DO NOT recognize most RAID controllers natively. So when you install "fresh" to a drive on a RAID controller, you will need to press the "F6" key and install additional hard drive controller drives. (I think it may actually say "third party", but I don't remember.) If you don't do this, and Windows doesn't install a compatible driver, what will happen is your boot process will begin and when Windows is starting it will blue screen and say it can't access the drive.

If you have an existing install, you can just add the driver when the drive is on a non-RAID controller, and then either move the drive to a RAID controller or Copy the disk image to a RAID Array. (Depending on the controller, and how the Array is defined.)

This is must longer than I thought it would be sorry, but there is one last thing!

I know that there is a version of the A7N8X motherboard that has SATA on board, and that has RAID on board. What I am not sure about is, whether the SATA is just a standard SATA controller, or both a RAID SATA controller?

I am like 95% sure that there are standard SATA ports of that motherboard, but I have no knowledge as to whether there are RAID SATA ports on that motherboard?

But you're only getting one drive, so that doesn't matter at this moement! : )

I hope that helps,
Jim

P.S.
(hopefully, there are no typos!)

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
-----------------------------------------------------------
What I am not sure about is, whether the SATA is just a standard SATA controller, or both a RAID SATA controller?

Sata without raid is not possible with A7N8X

So when you install "fresh" to a drive on a RAID controller, you will need to press the "F6" key and install additional hard drive controller drives.

Do i have to do that ? don´t i just have to run the raid bios ?

FallOutBoyTonto

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
Do i have to do that ? don't i just have to run the raid bios?
You need to do both in order for it to work. The one in the BIOS lets the system know that there is a drive there, the one during the install process is to let the OS know how to access that drive. If you don't do the "F6" during the install, it won't see the drive at all. Hope that answered your question.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=24106" target="_new"> My System Rig</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=535386" target="_new"> 3DMark03</A>

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
When i try to create a raid i get the msg "Not enough single drives" or something like that. so i need another drive after all??

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
Turns out i didn´t have to setup in raid bios. I just pushed f6 when i installed XP then another menu turned up and i had to push "S" and install sata drivers from a floppydisk. the problem was that i didn´t have a floppydisk with sata drivers so i just copied the files from sata directory on A7N8X CD to a floppy and it worked just fine.

Now my computer works perfectly. Load time is minimal and windows runs very smooth : )

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
I'm running into a problem trying to setup XP onto my 36 GB 10,000 RPM SATA Raptor drive as the primary drive, no other SATA drives on the A7N8X motherboard, but I have two spare 80 GB ATA 100 Western Digital 7200 RPM 8 MB Buffer Drives.

I went thru the windows install, but for some reason had to assign something or another to one of the 80 GB drives, b/c it wouldn't allow me to install on the partition on that drive I had created in setup.

What am I doing wrong? Once I got into windows after installing like that, I was unable to use that 80 GB HDD, which was annoying.

Also, is there a way I can change the drive letter of the SATA to C:\ in the setup? For some reason it wouldn't let me do that in windows xp after install, I know I've done it before in the past...

Should I unhook both of my IDE drives when installing? Or do I have to go to the RAID setup before I do WinXP Setup to set something? Please help.

PS - the 2nd 80 GB drive has all my files backed up onto it, so I really can't lose or use that one.

So Frustrating. :(

Lastly, My dad suggested I unhook my 2 IDE drives. I shall try this when I get off work at 7:30pm.

dinoX aka BlackDog<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dinoX on 06/20/03 11:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FallOutBoyTonto

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
Now my computer works perfectly. Load time is minimal and windows runs very smooth : )
Congrats! I bet you're very happy now. :smile:

I went thru the windows install, but for some reason had to assign something or another to one of the 80 GB drives, b/c it wouldn't allow me to install on the partition on that drive I had created in setup.
I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Can you please reword what you have done during the install process. Which drive was the partition that wouldn't get installed on on? (LOL! I'm a hipocrite eh?)

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
O.K., Here is how it is setup...and the steps I did.

The SATA drive is hooked up on the primary SATA connector on the motherboard. I didn't change the jumper, but there was no labelling for what to change it to (maybe this is the root of my problems??? Usually they come default as Single or Master jumpered...). Also, I have 2 80 GB Western Digital HDD's on the primary IDE channel.

Other system specs are Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo, 12x Sony DVD-ROM, 48x24x48 Lite-On CD-RW, 1 GB PC2700 RAM, AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton CPU, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX Sound Card and a Gainward Geforce 4 Ti4600 128 MB Video Card. None of those caused problems in the past.

I booted via the CD-ROM with Win XP Pro in it to the setup. Hit F6 when it first came up so I could get the SATA drivers offa my floppy disk. It went thru installing drivers and such. Pops up with the screen to select which HDD you want to install XP on/Partition/etc. I then decided to Create a partition on the SATA drive. It let me. I then hit ENTER to install on that drive.

Something along the lines of "We are sorry, but you cannot install on a drive that isn't an XP Partition - please select one of these other drives to instal on" - and it prompts me to install some stuff on the primary/Master 80 GB drive (I can in NO WAY install on the Secondary/Slave 80 GB HDD, as it has all my files and such on there backed up).

So yeah, I'm going to unhook the IDE HDD's and try again later when I get home tonight.

I was also installing the drivers for a SCSI controller card I have in the system, but I might opt out on those, maybe they are causing a conflict. Who knows.

More to come in an hour and a half when I get off work and can wrestle access to my sisters PC out of her hands. :D

dinoX aka BlackDog<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dinoX on 06/20/03 01:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
OK, Figured it out. Removed both IDE HDD's connectors, and ran the setup/install without them. Ran fine.

Tip to future people: don't have IDE drives hooked up when making your SATA drive the ROOT drive. ;)

dinoX aka BlackDog

FallOutBoyTonto

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
Congrats on getting it working! Good for you, I bet you're happy now.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=24106" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=535386" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL yes. that would do it :)

I had to do that with mine as the boot drive was on the RAID channel. NO biggy really.

<b>Melb_angel: PooBaa's <A HREF="http://www.secretarythemovie.com" target="_new">Secretary!</A></b>