Problem accessing the game after installing windows updates

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

I can no longer play Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. When I try to play
the game it shows the loading screen and when the game should start Windows
comes up with an error. It doesnt give a specific error, what it says is:
"Age of Empires II has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
sorry for the inconvenience." The error signature it gives is:
AppName: empires2.icd AppVer: 0.14.14.914 ModName: empires2.icd
ModVer: 0.14.14.914 Offset: 0020028b"

I have downloaded and installed all the Age of Empires II updates and Also
tried many different possible solutions that are listed on the microsoft
website but nothing works.

Anyone have an idea on how to solve this or a similar problem????

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Raptor,

"raptor_118" <raptor118@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6CA0C32-4BA6-42D0-8A3A-7E3FB94C88EE@microsoft.com...
|I can no longer play Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. When I try to play
| the game it shows the loading screen and when the game should start Windows
| comes up with an error. It doesnt give a specific error, what it says is:
| "Age of Empires II has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
| sorry for the inconvenience." The error signature it gives is:
| AppName: empires2.icd AppVer: 0.14.14.914 ModName: empires2.icd
| ModVer: 0.14.14.914 Offset: 0020028b"
|
| I have downloaded and installed all the Age of Empires II updates and Also
| tried many different possible solutions that are listed on the microsoft
| website but nothing works.
|
| Anyone have an idea on how to solve this or a similar problem????
| --

Let's try some basic troubleshooting. If the problem still persists
please post back and we'll try some more steps. Good luck! :)

1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using this utility: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
or this method: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com and then
install MS AntiSpyware from: www.microsoft.com/spyware to
remove any Spyware or Adware which could clog up your PC.

3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

I have tried all of those solutions now and before I orginally posted my
question. I have also since posting installed and update for safe disc which
didnt do any good.
Thanks for the help.
--

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Raptor,
>
> "raptor_118" <raptor118@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6CA0C32-4BA6-42D0-8A3A-7E3FB94C88EE@microsoft.com...
> |I can no longer play Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. When I try to play
> | the game it shows the loading screen and when the game should start Windows
> | comes up with an error. It doesnt give a specific error, what it says is:
> | "Age of Empires II has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
> | sorry for the inconvenience." The error signature it gives is:
> | AppName: empires2.icd AppVer: 0.14.14.914 ModName: empires2.icd
> | ModVer: 0.14.14.914 Offset: 0020028b"
> |
> | I have downloaded and installed all the Age of Empires II updates and Also
> | tried many different possible solutions that are listed on the microsoft
> | website but nothing works.
> |
> | Anyone have an idea on how to solve this or a similar problem????
> | --
> |

> Let's try some basic troubleshooting. If the problem still persists
> please post back and we'll try some more steps. Good luck! :)
>
> 1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
> programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
> blockers using this utility: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
> or this method: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
>
> You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
> http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
>
> 2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com and then
> install MS AntiSpyware from: www.microsoft.com/spyware to
> remove any Spyware or Adware which could clog up your PC.
>
> 3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
> / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
> the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.
>
> 4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
> Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
> require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a
>
> 5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
> For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
> Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Yeah, I'm having this problem too, same thing,almost exactly, i think it even
said the same ting in the error message. Can someone please help, I'd really
like to play this awesome game...... and i have done pretty much everything
you said, Jimmy, so PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

"raptor_118" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > 4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
> > Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
> > require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a
> >
> > 5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
> > For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
> > Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html
> >
> > --
> > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >
> > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Oh and by the way, when the game crashes to desktop, the music keeps on
playing, and doesn't stop until i take out the CD....
"gregordonis99" wrote:

> Yeah, I'm having this problem too, same thing,almost exactly, i think it even
> said the same ting in the error message. Can someone please help, I'd really
> like to play this awesome game...... and i have done pretty much everything
> you said, Jimmy, so PLEASE HELP!
> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Greg,

You said you did pretty much everything, and from your description
it sounds like the video card or it's drivers is causing the problem...
I suggest following all the video troubleshooting steps this time around
and it the problem persists you might have to test another video card.

--

"gregordonis99" <gregordonis99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Yeah, I'm having this problem too, same thing,almost exactly, i think it even
| said the same ting in the error message. Can someone please help, I'd really
| like to play this awesome game...... and i have done pretty much everything
| you said, Jimmy, so PLEASE HELP!
| Thanks
|
| "raptor_118" wrote:
|
| > I have tried all of those solutions now and before I orginally posted my
| > question. I have also since posting installed and update for safe disc which
| > didnt do any good.
| > Thanks for the help.
| > --
| >

| > "Jimmy S." wrote:
| >
| > > Hi Raptor,

| > > |
| > > |
| > > |

| > > Let's try some basic troubleshooting. If the problem still persists
| > > please post back and we'll try some more steps. Good luck! :)
| > >
| > > 1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
| > > programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
| > > blockers using this utility: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
| > > or this method: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
| > >
| > > You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
| > > http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
| > >
| > > 2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com and then
| > > install MS AntiSpyware from: www.microsoft.com/spyware to
| > > remove any Spyware or Adware which could clog up your PC.
| > >
| > > 3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
| > > / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
| > > the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.
| > >
| > > 4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
| > > Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
| > > require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a
| > >
| > > 5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
| > > For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
| > > Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html
| > >
| > > --
| > > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| > >
| > > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
| > > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

All right, I'll try those when I have time. But the weird thing is, once I
borrowed a (legitimate, not burned) copy of the game, and I ran it on this
computer, and it worked perfectly. But I juts installed had a new hard drive
installed, and the BIOS was flashed, so it may be because of that.