hotsync connection lost

July 9, 2004 12:26:31 PM

For the last month about 2/3 through my hotsyncs I get an error on the
palm that the connection to the computer has been lost. Any thoughts
on this? How do I clear this error?

July 9, 2004 6:34:41 PM

Walt Lewis wrote:
> For the last month about 2/3 through my hotsyncs I get an error on the
> palm that the connection to the computer has been lost. Any thoughts
> on this? How do I clear this error?

Let me guess, USB and large files? Log file says something like
"unable to open remote file", "unable to fully read remote file"...?

What helped for me in this case - at least it reduced the problem to
a manageable volume - is to connect the USB directly to a port on
the computer, i.e. not a port extender/multiplier.

Still, every now and then I have to redo a sync - no good permanent fix.
(Serial connection seems to be more stable, but it's far too slow for me)

Regards,
Walter
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 10:04:08 PM

We have the same problem with two Tungsten C PDAs. Curiously it only
happens with the hotsynch cradles that came with the PDAs and not with a
cradle that was purchased separately. Both PDAs fail to properly connect
to the problem cradles unless you hold them down firmly. If anyone has
advice on how to fix this annoying problem, I would welcome it.

Ken Thomson

Walt Lewis wrote:

>For the last month about 2/3 through my hotsyncs I get an error on the
>palm that the connection to the computer has been lost. Any thoughts
>on this? How do I clear this error?

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 4:53:56 AM

Ken Thomson <kthomson@tconl.com> wrote in

> We have the same problem with two Tungsten C PDAs.
> Curiously it only happens with the hotsynch cradles that
> came with the PDAs and not with a cradle that was purchased
> separately. Both PDAs fail to properly connect to the
> problem cradles unless you hold them down firmly. If anyone
> has advice on how to fix this annoying problem, I would
> welcome it.

Clean the contacts on *both* the cradle and the Palm. A pencil
eraser works pretty well for this, used carefully. A brush may
be required afterwards to remove all the little rubber pieces.
The ink erasers work a little better, but a standard pencil
eraser does the job. Over time, corrosion builds up on the
contacts, and must be removed periodically.

--
Regards,

Stan
!