Opening ports and Apple Wireless

Last response: in Video Games
a b F Wireless
June 4, 2005 11:53:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

I cannot join or host rooms. I keep getting the message "unable to join". I
am running Age Kings on a Gateway with Pentium 3, but I also have a wireless
card and our family machines get internect connection through a Apple Airport
Extreme that is connected to a Global Village moden. I use the wireless card
to connect me to the Airport. When I ask for help from other players they
tell me to open up ports. But I don't know how to do this or even if this is
something that can be done through the wireless set up we have in our house.
I do not understand what people are saying when they speak of "routers" since
we don't use anything but the modem and Airport wireless station. Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am a techno beginner on this
part. Please send any suggestions by email to Jerry c/o frasz@nevada.edu
thanks,
Jerry
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 5, 2005 3:52:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Jerry,

Sounds like there's a NAT/ firewall in your Airport of GV Modem:

Call the tech support for that unit, and ask them to either setup a "DMZ"
(De-Militarized Zone which means the firewall is disabled) to bypass the
built-in firewall, or open the necessary ports in the equipment with you.

Here's the List of all Ports used by Zone
and DX Games: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ports

To setup your router yourself visit: www.portforward.com/routers.htm
to see if they have setup instructions for your home network equipment.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

!