Sign in with
Your question

Which 500-550W PSU?

Last response: in Components
June 15, 2003 3:58:56 AM

I'm looking for a HIGH QUALITY psu that has a 500-550W power range.
Any suggestions?

More about : 500 550w psu

June 15, 2003 8:03:46 AM

Newegg carries several Fortron power supplies in that range, these are very high quality and very reasonably priced.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
June 15, 2003 9:12:24 PM

Alright thanks.
Well I read Toms recent review on 13 power supplies and I believe Antec was recommended on the power-use class?
So what I have in mind right now are 3 power supplies:
Enermax EG651P-VE
Antec True550
Fortron FSP550-60PLN

Would you still pick Fortron out of the 3?
Related resources
June 15, 2003 11:27:29 PM

Tom's recommended the Antec 480W because they simply didn't have a Fortron larger than 400W to compare it to. The Fortron 450W puts out more power than the Antec 480w, the Fortron 500W puts out more power than the Antec 500W, the Fortron 550W puts out more power than any Antec supply!

So yes, I'd pic the Fortron out of the three...unless I can learn something about the Enermax unit that impresses me.

June 16, 2003 4:27:19 PM

No offense Crashman, but are you like Fortron's pimp or something? Also, you consistently paint Antec in a bad light...or at least that's the impression I get. Have you had a bad experience with an Antec PSU or something?

To the original poster, all of the PSUs you are considering are excellent PSUs. I would probably suggest the Enermax or Antec because of the higher output per voltage rail than the Fortron (especially on the +12V rail).
June 16, 2003 11:14:05 PM

Actually yes, you see, prior to the release of their "high end" power supplies, Antec was the marketer of low end power supplies at midrange prices (you paid for the name). I had a whole bunch of 250W Antec power supplies (no special model name such as "true power" or "smart power"), and they were all outputting around 180W before the voltage would start dropping (enough to cause instability at around 200W). Meanwhile I had these Newton and Power Man 200W units that were putting out at least 200W continuously.

I ran a PIII 700@933 with 3 hard drives (2 SCSI) and 2 CDROMS, 5 PCI cards and one Radeon LE (Overclocked to stock Radeon DDR speed), on a Power Man 200W unit, for a long time!

Since then I've bought several Powerman 250W and 300W power supplies and always had them put out at least their rating on a continuous bases. Now you know that hard drives take more power to spin up, etc, and I never overpeaked them, nor had voltage drops. And my voltage fluctuations were less than 5 hundredths of a volt, whereas they were as much as 3 TENTHS of a volt with the Antecs.

I realize that Antec has come up with better supplies since then, but Fortron still offers higher quality at better prices. And I "pimp" them because they are a lesser known brand that I would like to see get some name recognition in the U.S.

Oh, in case you didn't catch it, all my Power Man power supplies were manufactured by the FSP group, ie Fortron/Source Power Man.

June 17, 2003 12:00:05 AM

So are all the power supplies listed in this post comparable to eachother?
June 17, 2003 2:30:23 AM

*shrugs* i love enermax. my 550W is as stable as a brick. And have recommended them to many friends all with sucess.
Very low failure rate too.

<b>Melb_angel: PooBaa's <A HREF="http://www.secretarythemovie.com" target="_new">Secretary!</A></b>
June 17, 2003 4:00:06 AM

Probably. I've had the best stability with Fortron, which allowed me to use "lower rated" and therefor cheaper models on systems I've sold (a system can be stable with a cheaper 250W Fortron instead of needing a more expensive 300W Antec, for example). I don't have any complaints about Enermax power, but the Fortrons have always had more power per model rating. And I've never owned an Antec True Power, but I can see that even though Antec has improved, they still haven't caught up with Fortron, in Tom's latest review.

August 5, 2003 1:47:28 PM

Antec 550W. Buy at Newegg.
August 5, 2003 6:21:17 PM

If you want a high-quality PSU get a top-end Delta, it will be noisy (at least 2 models use their 68.5cfm 80mm fan, the FFB0812SHE) & expencive but IMHO you'll not find a better made & designed PSU on my market.

Row like mortals, think like gods.
August 5, 2003 10:06:17 PM

Fortron 530W. Buy at Newegg. Cheaper and better than Antec 550W.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 5, 2003 10:08:19 PM

If you want a high-quality PSU get a top-end Fortron, it will be quiet(most models use 2 speed 80mm fans and rarely go into high speed mode) & inexpensive and IMHO you'll not find a better made & designed PSU on my market.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 6, 2003 1:31:49 PM

Uhm... this thread is about 2 months old.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: 
August 6, 2003 8:38:32 PM

While I wouldn't hesitate in using a Fortron PSU in any system, it's the delta PSU's have consistently out-performend every other make of PSU in sudden negative air condition* changes (large humidity drops & large temp gains).

* oh how Fujisu Industries (UK) air-con units suck, <rant>they seem to have gone to the same excuse school as Rail Track with "The wrong type of heat" for an unreliable service :mad:  </rant>

Row like mortals, think like gods.
August 6, 2003 10:03:21 PM

It's possible that I'm just a bit more value conscious, after all the Delta comes with higher performance fans.

!