Best way to hook up 2 pairs of monitors?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
May 20, 2005 3:55:01 PM

What would be the best way to hook up 2 pairs of monitors to my Mackie
1604VLZ?

I have a set of Event ASP8's actives and a set of KRK passives (connected
to a Hafler amp) and I would like to run them both balanced and make it so
I can easily switch from one to another with minimal button pushing.

Currently I am running the Events from the CR/Outs using TRS cables.

Thanks in advance!

More about : hook pairs monitors

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 20, 2005 3:55:02 PM

I use a Coleman Audio M3PH and I love it.
http://www.mercenary.com/coaum3mk.html

If that's more money than you want to spend you might be interested in the
Coleman LS3 :
http://www.mercenary.com/colaudls3lin.html

http://www.colemanaudio.com/

If you want something in-between there are several other manufacturers out
there that make switchers that might work for you. For instance the PreSonus
Central Station has an impressive list of features and specs :
http://www.presonus.com/centralstation.html

Best of luck!
--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"SO" <snr_recording@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What would be the best way to hook up 2 pairs of monitors to my Mackie
> 1604VLZ?
>
> I have a set of Event ASP8's actives and a set of KRK passives (connected
> to a Hafler amp) and I would like to run them both balanced and make it so
> I can easily switch from one to another with minimal button pushing.
>
> Currently I am running the Events from the CR/Outs using TRS cables.
>
> Thanks in advance!
a b C Monitor
May 20, 2005 7:39:25 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:07:56 -0700, John L Rice wrote:

> I use a Coleman Audio M3PH and I love it.
> http://www.mercenary.com/coaum3mk.html
>
> If that's more money than you want to spend you might be interested in the
> Coleman LS3 :
> http://www.mercenary.com/colaudls3lin.html
>
> http://www.colemanaudio.com/
>
> If you want something in-between there are several other manufacturers out
> there that make switchers that might work for you. For instance the PreSonus
> Central Station has an impressive list of features and specs :
> http://www.presonus.com/centralstation.html
>
> Best of luck!

Thanks John, the Presonus looks like exactly what I am looking for.
I was also looking at the Mackie Big Knob, but I am a little annoyed at
Mackie's offshoring etc...Another topic, another day :(

Enjoy!!

a b C Monitor
May 21, 2005 1:46:02 AM

In article <w1rje.23825$NZ1.7644@fe09.lga> snr_recording@yahoo.com writes:

> Thanks John, the Presonus looks like exactly what I am looking for.
> I was also looking at the Mackie Big Knob, but I am a little annoyed at
> Mackie's offshoring etc...

And where do you think the Central Station is built?

If you're handy with tools (to mount connectors and a switch in a box)
and know enough circuitry to understand how a switch works, you can
build a switch box yourself for relatively little cash and a Saturday
afternoon.

But, no, I won't e-mail you a schematic.

a b C Monitor
May 21, 2005 7:46:58 AM

SO wrote:
> What would be the best way to hook up 2 pairs of monitors to my Mackie
> 1604VLZ?
>
> I have a set of Event ASP8's actives and a set of KRK passives (connected
> to a Hafler amp) and I would like to run them both balanced and make it so
> I can easily switch from one to another with minimal button pushing.
>
> Currently I am running the Events from the CR/Outs using TRS cables.
>
> Thanks in advance!

why not just run them out of your submix buses? (ie. one pair on bus 1-2
and another pair on bus 3-4) The bus outs should be balanced but I doubt
your amplifiers inputs will be. Good luck

Jonny Durango
!