Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I need surround sound card advice please.

Last response: in Home Audio
May 20, 2005 4:24:11 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I am building a Media PC and I'm trying to figure out the best sound
card to buy. The PC I'm building is going to have a DVD-ROM and 200
GB HDD. I am going to install a TV-PVR card so that I can record
favorite TV programs. I plan on ripping most of my DVD collection to
the HDD (about 25 - 30 classics) so that I can watch them any time.
I will not be doing any gaming on the media PC.

My big question is What Sound Card Do I Want?

I have a surround sound (RCA receiver) system that handles my current
set-top DVD player as well as video game consoles. I would like to run
the media PC to the surround sound receiver. Most of the 5.1 or better
sound cards have several outputs, which I assume is if you buy a
separate set of surround sound speakers for your PC. How do I get all
those outputs into one digital line to plug into my receiver or into
the RCA jacks to plug into my receiver? Is there a cable that adapts
the multiple outputs on the sound card to plug into the receiver? Will
this method retain the true digital surround sound? If not, do I have
to find a sound card specifically designed for going to a receiver?
I'm no stranger to building PCs but I am in relatively uncharted
waters here and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have about $50 - 75 to spend. I'm not sure yet if I'll be
running Win XP Pro or Windows Media Center. Depends on the cost of
either of those operating systems. I figure I'll want a PCI card
(opposed to ISA). If there is an affordable USB option I would also
consider that as well; but I would like to keep the amount of set-top
clutter to a minimum.


May 23, 2005 3:16:04 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

May 27, 2005 11:30:08 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

May 27, 2005 7:29:22 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

In article <> writes:

> Bump

What kind of advice are you looking for? If you're looking for a
professional grade device, that's one thing - they're not called
"surround sound card" but rather, a it's a general purpose
multi-channel audio interface.

If you're looking for something that's good for games or playing DVDs
on your home theater system, look at the M-Audio Revolution series.
It's a consumer grade card that at least comes from a company that
knows how to make relatively professional grade audio interfaces.

I'm really Mike Rivers (
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo