Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WTB: 8 channel line mixer -I have $50

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:04:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Subject line sums it up I suppose. I need a basic line mixer 1/4 ins
with a headphone jack. like a peavey lm8 or a whatever. Just need to
take lines off of a da38 and be able to monitor them for overdubs at
home. If you have one in the 50$ range email me at
vivacaramel@hotmail.com
if you don't..well don't.
Thanks,
Brian

More about : wtb channel line mixer

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:33:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

cant get my email out on the message.
vivacaramel (at) hotmail (dot) com.
we'll see if that works.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:27:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

vivacaramel@hotmail.com wrote:
> cant get my email out on the message.
> vivacaramel (at) hotmail (dot) com.
> we'll see if that works.
>


50 bucks? Perhaps you were looking for a garage sale?
Related resources
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:29:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Joe,
Excactly!! you are quite an intelligent man.
Check the value of the model I mentioned and -there my friend you will
see wonderful "garage sales" everywhere....thanks.
Joe Sensor wrote:
> vivacaramel@hotmail.com wrote:
> > cant get my email out on the message.
> > vivacaramel (at) hotmail (dot) com.
> > we'll see if that works.
> >
>
>
> 50 bucks? Perhaps you were looking for a garage sale?
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 11:41:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'll sell you my old Hamilton Beach Mixer for $50, Hell I'll even throw
in an old uhf b/w t.v. set...it's gotta have at least 8 channels what
with the coat hanger and all....
Joe Sensor wrote:
> vivacaramel@hotmail.com wrote:
> > cant get my email out on the message.
> > vivacaramel (at) hotmail (dot) com.
> > we'll see if that works.
> >
>
>
> 50 bucks? Perhaps you were looking for a garage sale?
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:25:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hey I found what I was looking for. thanks. check the asking price of
the model I mentioned a Peavey lm8. wow it's about worth 40$!?!?! what
the hell man? this guy(me) is nuts asking to buy something for more
than it is worth. jackasses. I'm a musician do you guys own studios? If
so can I get the names? I'll make sure not to end up there....thanks
for the entertainment.
brian
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:00:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

for what I'm doing I don't really need much. I just need to monitor a
couple of tracks in headphones...I can get by with what I just bought.
It's nice to know what else is out there though for future reference,
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:35:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

vivacaramel@hotmail.com <strazymusic@netscape.net> wrote:
>Hey I found what I was looking for. thanks. check the asking price of
>the model I mentioned a Peavey lm8. wow it's about worth 40$!?!?! what
>the hell man? this guy(me) is nuts asking to buy something for more
>than it is worth. jackasses. I'm a musician do you guys own studios? If
>so can I get the names? I'll make sure not to end up there....thanks
>for the entertainment.

Stay away from the LM8... they do NOT hold up very well. If you can find
a used one that actually works, it's probably worth around $75 to $100,
but don't expect it to work very long.

About the only cheap choice you have if you want 8 discrete channels with pans
is going to be the ARX mixer for around $450. Crest makes something that
will work but takes up 2U and costs more.

The Rane "Swiss Army" mixer gives you 6 channels with pans, then two
channels hard left and right. That might be enough for you, and I
see those selling used for a hundred bucks or so.

Roland also made something like what you want... again it's been many
years since it was made and like the Peavey it is not so reliable.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:55:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

vivacaramel@hotmail.com <strazymusic@netscape.net> wrote:
>for what I'm doing I don't really need much. I just need to monitor a
>couple of tracks in headphones...I can get by with what I just bought.
>It's nice to know what else is out there though for future reference,

Just wait. I give you a week before you start pulling your hair out
at the lack of channel mutes.

I wound up with the ARX on a similar application for field recording,
and I really wish I had either mutes or a PFL.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:15:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> The Rane "Swiss Army" mixer gives you 6 channels with pans, then two
> channels hard left and right. That might be enough for you, and I
> see those selling used for a hundred bucks or so.

I got my Rane SM82 (8 stereo line in/2out w/sends)
for around a hundred (used) and I felt like I got a
great deal. Made for a nice single space cue mixer.

rd
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:21:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> vivacaramel@hotmail.com <strazymusic@netscape.net> wrote:
> >for what I'm doing I don't really need much. I just need to monitor a
> >couple of tracks in headphones...I can get by with what I just bought.
> >It's nice to know what else is out there though for future reference,
>
> Just wait. I give you a week before you start pulling your hair out
> at the lack of channel mutes.
>
> I wound up with the ARX on a similar application for field recording,
> and I really wish I had either mutes or a PFL.
> --scott
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

There's a Behringer line mixer with 8 balanced stereo line inputs,
volume, send, mute and pan on all 8 channels. I use it as a live
keyboard line mixer. It cost $99, and so is almost within the budget of
the OP.

It has no headroom whatsoever and I'm starting to get dissatisfied with
it even by the lo-fi standards under which I'm using it. But under the
broadest definition, it works.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:02:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<huwgareth@my-deja.com> wrote in message ...

> There's a Behringer line mixer with 8 balanced stereo line inputs,
> volume, send, mute and pan on all 8 channels. I use it as a live
> keyboard line mixer. It cost $99, and so is almost within the budget of
> the OP.
>
> It has no headroom whatsoever and I'm starting to get dissatisfied with
> it even by the lo-fi standards under which I'm using it. But under the
> broadest definition, it works.


As far as this thread has blossomed... I'd say you've probably hit on
an item that would actually fill the bill - sad though it may be to some.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com
Morgan Audio Media Service
Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
_______________________________________
http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 11:59:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<strazymusic@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:1116623045.812568.314400@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Subject line sums it up I suppose. I need a basic line
mixer 1/4 ins
> with a headphone jack. like a peavey lm8 or a whatever.
Just need to
> take lines off of a da38 and be able to monitor them for
overdubs at
> home. If you have one in the 50$ range email me at
> vivacaramel@hotmail.com
> if you don't..well don't.

You might be able to find a used or even just an open-box
Behringer line mixer/DA on eBay for something like $50.
However, I don't think it has a headphone jack.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:26:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
> About the only cheap choice you have if you want 8 discrete channels with pans
> is going to be the ARX mixer for around $450. Crest makes something that
> will work but takes up 2U and costs more.

Does Sonifex make something in their Red Box line?
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:19:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hey Brian,

Did you find what you were looking for yet? I have a Fostex 2016 line
mixer I'm not using. I'll sell it at a fair price. I'm not sure what
they're going for, but I'll check on Ebay to see what people are
getting for them. It's probably somewhere in the price range you're
looking for.

Dean
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:06:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dean yes I did. But what I'm attempting to do is get everything in a
rack for location recording. For example "this bathroom sounds great
when I sing in it" well let me bring my box in and we will track in
there. The line mixer would be used for nothing critical just for
playback. I would assume that if I can get a decent sound with just a
da38 symetrix sx202's and a line mixer I would be in the ballpark of a
decent sound. I am trying to force myself to learn technique better and
not rely on "fix it in the mix" attitudes..I would love to have it
"mixed" or be sensible with essentially what was on tape. I might be a
little to Idealistic. But in essence I want the enviornment to work
with the recordings and portability would be important. It is a lot of
work to lug a tape machine and mixing board around and I am just trying
to be more spontaneous and experimental. Not sure if anyone works in
this fashion but any tips would be great. After I get what I want on
tape I will go to a better studio and have it mixed on a "real" board.
After reading these posts I guess my question would be how critical
would the line mixer be in just monitoring off of the tape? I assumed
that it would be rather passive regardless but I'm just a guy who likes
to have fun with recording. I may be in for a suprise.
Thanks for all the help if I need to get another line mixer I will
refer to this thread.
Thanks,
Brian
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:30:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>> About the only cheap choice you have if you want 8 discrete channels with pans
>> is going to be the ARX mixer for around $450. Crest makes something that
>> will work but takes up 2U and costs more.
>
>Does Sonifex make something in their Red Box line?

I don't know, but if they do, and it has mutes, I'll take two of them
please.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:30:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>
>> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>>> About the only cheap choice you have if you want 8 discrete channels with pans
>>> is going to be the ARX mixer for around $450. Crest makes something that
>>> will work but takes up 2U and costs more.
>>
>> Does Sonifex make something in their Red Box line?
>
>
> I don't know, but if they do, and it has mutes, I'll take two of them
> please.


Would the ATI 8MX2 work?
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 6:38:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>>
>>>> About the only cheap choice you have if you want 8 discrete channels with pans
>>>> is going to be the ARX mixer for around $450. Crest makes something that
>>>> will work but takes up 2U and costs more.
>>>
>>> Does Sonifex make something in their Red Box line?
>>
>> I don't know, but if they do, and it has mutes, I'll take two of them
>> please.
>
>Would the ATI 8MX2 work?

Hmm, that's interesting.

No, it wouldn't work, because it has mike-level inputs and preamps in it.
But because it also has direct outputs, it could be very useful for
making a rough broadcast mix pre-tape, where you want to mix directly
from the preamp outputs.

What I want is something to take the tape machine returns and mix them
for field monitoring.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 6:38:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>
>> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>>> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> About the only cheap choice you have if you want 8 discrete channels with pans
>>>>> is going to be the ARX mixer for around $450. Crest makes something that
>>>>> will work but takes up 2U and costs more.
>>>>
>>>> Does Sonifex make something in their Red Box line?
>>>
>>> I don't know, but if they do, and it has mutes, I'll take two of them
>>> please.
>>
>> Would the ATI 8MX2 work?
>
>
> Hmm, that's interesting.
>
> No, it wouldn't work, because it has mike-level inputs and preamps in it.
> But because it also has direct outputs, it could be very useful for
> making a rough broadcast mix pre-tape, where you want to mix directly
> from the preamp outputs.
>
> What I want is something to take the tape machine returns and mix them
> for field monitoring.

That's what the tape returns on the 8MX2 are for.

From <http://audiotoys.com/8MX2.HTM&gt;
"Multipin input to the 8 line returns to monitor or mix the tracks of a
digital multitrack machine"
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:41:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
news:3fjpgdF87dv3U1@individual.net...
>
>
> Would the ATI 8MX2 work?
>
Not for $50, or even for $500. The 87MX2 lists for about $3K.It does have
mute switches, though...

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc
Nashville, TN
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:42:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave Martin wrote:

> "Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> news:3fjpgdF87dv3U1@individual.net...
>
>>
>>Would the ATI 8MX2 work?
>>
>
> Not for $50, or even for $500. The 87MX2 lists for about $3K.It does have
> mute switches, though...
>
http://www.ashly.com/product/lx-series.htm

Check out Ashly. This and the previous model can be found used pretty
cheap for a very high quality unit. Not for 50 bucks, though.

50 bucks won't get you dinner and a movie for two...
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:42:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave Martin wrote:
> "Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> news:3fjpgdF87dv3U1@individual.net...
>
>
>> Would the ATI 8MX2 work?
>
>
> Not for $50, or even for $500. The 87MX2 lists for about $3K.


Notice the change I made to the subject line... ;>
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:58:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
news:3fk1e6F87sq9U1@individual.net...

> Notice the change I made to the subject line... ;>
>
Whoops - that got by me.

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc
Nashville, TN
!