Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

I have problems launching a multiplayer game after host launches game. I
keep getting a message that says "unable to join game". I've tried
everything from disabeling norton anti-virus, norton security, windows
firewall, and pop-up blocker. Sometimes i just turn my computer on and the
problem is fixed but after about 2-3 games the same thing happens so i wait
about a week and my computer does the same thing. Its obviously not anything
to do with the pop-up blockers, firewall, norton, etc. cause i've been able
to play games before with all that stuff turned on. The game just works some
days and some days it doesnt.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Bluefire,

Do you have a home network setup using a home router?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"bluefire2727" <bluefire2727@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F6BB6F3-4C64-499C-B568-E9B4B7E5B84A@microsoft.com...
|I have problems launching a multiplayer game after host launches game. I
| keep getting a message that says "unable to join game". I've tried
| everything from disabeling norton anti-virus, norton security, windows
| firewall, and pop-up blocker. Sometimes i just turn my computer on and the
| problem is fixed but after about 2-3 games the same thing happens so i wait
| about a week and my computer does the same thing. Its obviously not anything
| to do with the pop-up blockers, firewall, norton, etc. cause i've been able
| to play games before with all that stuff turned on. The game just works some
| days and some days it doesnt.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Jimmy,

I have similar problems as Bluefire, except that I have never been able to
connect to an online multiplayer game. I get the same error, every time.

I have tried to follow around your listed website
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits but got a bit lost on the way. I eventually
ended up at the D-link website, which basically told me my router would be
set up to allow on-line games.
http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DSL%2D302G%5FrevC

Am I still missing something??

Please let me know if you have any more answers.

Thanks

Richard

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Bluefire,
>
> Do you have a home network setup using a home router?
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
>
> "bluefire2727" <bluefire2727@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F6BB6F3-4C64-499C-B568-E9B4B7E5B84A@microsoft.com...
> |I have problems launching a multiplayer game after host launches game. I
> | keep getting a message that says "unable to join game". I've tried
> | everything from disabeling norton anti-virus, norton security, windows
> | firewall, and pop-up blocker. Sometimes i just turn my computer on and the
> | problem is fixed but after about 2-3 games the same thing happens so i wait
> | about a week and my computer does the same thing. Its obviously not anything
> | to do with the pop-up blockers, firewall, norton, etc. cause i've been able
> | to play games before with all that stuff turned on. The game just works some
> | days and some days it doesnt.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Kiwi Dick,

Sounds like there's a firewall in your D-Link Router or Broadband Modem:

Call the tech support for that unit, and ask them to either setup a "DMZ"
(De-Militarized Zone which means the firewall is disabled) to bypass the
built-in firewall, or open the necessary ports in the equipment with you.

Here's the List of all Ports used by Zone
and DX Games: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ports

To setup your router yourself visit: www.portforward.com/routers.htm

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Kiwi_Dick" <Kiwi_Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93AF51A4-B9FA-4D12-AD2A-469F21BE6EE1@microsoft.com...
| Hi Jimmy,
|
| I have similar problems as Bluefire, except that I have never been able to
| connect to an online multiplayer game. I get the same error, every time.
|
| I have tried to follow around your listed website
| http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits but got a bit lost on the way. I eventually
| ended up at the D-link website, which basically told me my router would be
| set up to allow on-line games.
| http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DSL%2D302G%5FrevC
|
| Am I still missing something??
|
| Please let me know if you have any more answers.
|
| Thanks
|
| Richard
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Bluefire,
| >
| > Do you have a home network setup using a home router?
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "bluefire2727" <bluefire2727@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > |I have problems launching a multiplayer game after host launches game. I
| > | keep getting a message that says "unable to join game". I've tried
| > | everything from disabeling norton anti-virus, norton security, windows
| > | firewall, and pop-up blocker. Sometimes i just turn my computer on and the
| > | problem is fixed but after about 2-3 games the same thing happens so i wait
| > | about a week and my computer does the same thing. Its obviously not anything
| > | to do with the pop-up blockers, firewall, norton, etc. cause i've been able
| > | to play games before with all that stuff turned on. The game just works some
| > | days and some days it doesnt.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Jimmy,

Well I followed the instructions in portforward.com. Chose my router and
then followed the settings for AOE and for MSN Games. The numbers they used
didn't seem to be all that similar to the ones listed here
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ports. But since I didn't really
know what I was doing, I didn't know what to do with the extra numbers. Would
it be possible for you to compare the two pages and let me know some more
specific things I would need to try?? My router appears to be the DSL 302G
Ver 2 on the portforward website.

I have also e-mailed my ISP, but not sure how useful they will be.

Thanks

Richard

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Kiwi Dick,
>
> Sounds like there's a firewall in your D-Link Router or Broadband Modem:
>
> Call the tech support for that unit, and ask them to either setup a "DMZ"
> (De-Militarized Zone which means the firewall is disabled) to bypass the
> built-in firewall, or open the necessary ports in the equipment with you.
>
> Here's the List of all Ports used by Zone
> and DX Games: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ports
>
> To setup your router yourself visit: www.portforward.com/routers.htm
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>

> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>
> "Kiwi_Dick" <Kiwi_Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93AF51A4-B9FA-4D12-AD2A-469F21BE6EE1@microsoft.com...
> | Hi Jimmy,
> |
> | I have similar problems as Bluefire, except that I have never been able to
> | connect to an online multiplayer game. I get the same error, every time.
> |
> | I have tried to follow around your listed website
> | http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits but got a bit lost on the way. I eventually
> | ended up at the D-link website, which basically told me my router would be
> | set up to allow on-line games.
> | http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DSL%2D302G%5FrevC
> |
> | Am I still missing something??
> |
> | Please let me know if you have any more answers.
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | Richard
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Bluefire,
> | >
> | > Do you have a home network setup using a home router?
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________
> | >
> | > "bluefire2727" <bluefire2727@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Richard,

Make sure the ports listed on this site are opened:

"Kiwi_Dick" <KiwiDick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64AB36B7-E754-4478-B65C-99EF278EA04E@microsoft.com...
| Hi Jimmy,
|
| Well I followed the instructions in portforward.com. Chose my router and
| then followed the settings for AOE and for MSN Games. The numbers they used
| didn't seem to be all that similar to the ones listed here
| http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ports. But since I didn't really
| know what I was doing, I didn't know what to do with the extra numbers. Would
| it be possible for you to compare the two pages and let me know some more
| specific things I would need to try?? My router appears to be the DSL 302G
| Ver 2 on the portforward website.
|
| I have also e-mailed my ISP, but not sure how useful they will be.
|
| Thanks
|
| Richard
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Kiwi Dick,
| >
| > Sounds like there's a firewall in your D-Link Router or Broadband Modem:
| >
| > Call the tech support for that unit, and ask them to either setup a "DMZ"
| > (De-Militarized Zone which means the firewall is disabled) to bypass the
| > built-in firewall, or open the necessary ports in the equipment with you.
| >
| > Here's the List of all Ports used by Zone
| > and DX Games: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ports
| >
| > To setup your router yourself visit: www.portforward.com/routers.htm
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Kiwi_Dick" <Kiwi_Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93AF51A4-B9FA-4D12-AD2A-469F21BE6EE1@microsoft.com...
| > | Hi Jimmy,
| > |
| > | I have similar problems as Bluefire, except that I have never been able to
| > | connect to an online multiplayer game. I get the same error, every time.
| > |
| > | I have tried to follow around your listed website
| > | http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits but got a bit lost on the way. I eventually
| > | ended up at the D-link website, which basically told me my router would be
| > | set up to allow on-line games.
| > | http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DSL%2D302G%5FrevC
| > |
| > | Am I still missing something??
| > |
| > | Please let me know if you have any more answers.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | Richard