To David Morgan (if he's still on this newsgroup...)

Last response: in Home Audio
May 21, 2005 2:41:49 PM

Hi,

I was trying to install VSTi Samle Tank 1.0 on a DVD to use it as a soft
synth. I used SAVI Host to load it, but ST doesn't recognize the instruments
as it does when it's installed on a hard disk. It only recognizes the
families of instruments, that is to say the directories, but not the files
inside the directories...
Someone on this forum suggested that you had already covered the subject,
and said that the reason of this was probably the files "attributes" that
change on the DVD.
Is that right ? Is it possible to get the problem fixed to let ST read the
files ? And if so, how ?

Thank you in advance

JMR

More about : david morgan newsgroup

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 2:41:50 PM

Why not just load it onto a portable HD, like a Firewire drive? That
should work with no problem. Plug it in and you're done. Unless I've
misunderstood...
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 7:37:11 PM

Don't know how you'd get a DVD to work.

But, when I mentioned portable FW drive I was thinking of the drive
I've got on one of my computers - it's a Travelstar 10G external FW
drive, buss powered. It's about the size of a pack of smokes. I use
it with a foot long cable. Doesn't take up much space at all. Don't
remember what I paid for it but it wasn't that much.
May 21, 2005 9:22:31 PM

"Jihemer" <jmrenvoise@free.fr> wrote in message news:428eef96$0$32435$636a15ce@news.free.fr...
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to install VSTi Samle Tank 1.0 on a DVD to use it as a soft
> synth. I used SAVI Host to load it, but ST doesn't recognize the instruments
> as it does when it's installed on a hard disk. It only recognizes the
> families of instruments, that is to say the directories, but not the files
> inside the directories...
> Someone on this forum suggested that you had already covered the subject,
> and said that the reason of this was probably the files "attributes" that
> change on the DVD.
> Is that right ? Is it possible to get the problem fixed to let ST read the
> files ? And if so, how ?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> JMR

It's not that I've 'covered' anything here, because most of that stuff is
outside my realm of regular practical application.

There is a commonality though... once files have been burned to a
CDR or a DVD, their properties have changed to "read only".

My suggestion was that the software is expecting to see files that
can be altered, or those with the property (attribute) of "archive".

The only way to remedy this after having burned them to a CD, is to
reload them onto some sort of accessible drive, open the directories,
select all of the files inside, right click and get 'properties'. You will see
check boxes to change the file attribute back to archive. Check only
that box and apply the changes.

Try again with Sample Tank to determine the validity of my supposition.

If the files are in fact playable and not corrupted as you first suspected,
you'll need to come up with a portable storage medium that does not
alter file properties in the manner in which CDR and DVDR do.

Then again, I was just guessing at your problem....

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

You're perfectly right !
But for me it's easier to carry a DVD than a hard disk + power supply and
cables.
I'd wish to travel "light", if you see what i mean.
A hard disk + power supply and cables are something you have to think about
to prepare in advance, but a dvd is easy to pick at the last moment...

jmr

"will" <wpmusic@sio.midco.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
1116687029.181246.279880@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Why not just load it onto a portable HD, like a Firewire drive? That
> should work with no problem. Plug it in and you're done. Unless I've
> misunderstood...

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 9:28:17 PM

> You're perfectly right !
> But for me it's easier to carry a DVD than a hard disk + power supply
> and cables.
> I'd wish to travel "light", if you see what i mean.
> A hard disk + power supply and cables are something you have to think
> about to prepare in advance, but a dvd is easy to pick at the last
> moment...
>
> jmr
>
> "will" <wpmusic@sio.midco.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 1116687029.181246.279880@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Why not just load it onto a portable HD, like a Firewire drive? That
>> should work with no problem. Plug it in and you're done. Unless
>> I've misunderstood...

What about a 2.5 inch laptop drive,in a bus powered firewire case?

No PSU, pretty damn small and light...
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 9:28:18 PM

Forty Winks <Yawn@bedtime.com> wrote:

> "Jihemer" <jmrenvoise@free.fr> wrote in
>
> > You're perfectly right !
> > But for me it's easier to carry a DVD than a hard disk + power supply
> > and cables.
> > I'd wish to travel "light", if you see what i mean.
> > A hard disk + power supply and cables are something you have to think
> > about to prepare in advance, but a dvd is easy to pick at the last
> > moment...
> >
> > jmr
> >
> > "will" <wpmusic@sio.midco.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> > 1116687029.181246.279880@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >> Why not just load it onto a portable HD, like a Firewire drive? That
> >> should work with no problem. Plug it in and you're done. Unless
> >> I've misunderstood...
> >>

> What about a 2.5 inch laptop drive,in a bus powered firewire case?
>
> No PSU, pretty damn small and light...

Or a Drive Dock from Wiebetech.

--
ha
Anonymous

> Forty Winks <Yawn@bedtime.com> wrote:
>
>> "Jihemer" <jmrenvoise@free.fr> wrote in
>>
>> > You're perfectly right !
>> > But for me it's easier to carry a DVD than a hard disk + power supply
>> > and cables.
>> > I'd wish to travel "light", if you see what i mean.
>> > A hard disk + power supply and cables are something you have to think
>> > about to prepare in advance, but a dvd is easy to pick at the last
>> > moment...
>> >
>> > jmr
>> >
>> > "will" <wpmusic@sio.midco.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> > 1116687029.181246.279880@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> >>

>> What about a 2.5 inch laptop drive,in a bus powered firewire case?
>>
>> No PSU, pretty damn small and light...
>
> Or a Drive Dock from Wiebetech.
>
> --
> ha

If Sample Tank is 2 GB or less a USB flash drive should work :
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemI...

Actually, I think there are flash drives bigger than 2 GB but they are still
fairly expensive.

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

David Morgan wrote:

> There is a commonality though... once files have been burned to a
> CDR or a DVD, their properties have changed to "read only".

Could one burt in session mode instead of disk mode, so that that deal's
not sealed?

--
ha
Anonymous

"Jihemer" <jmrenvoise@free.fr> wrote in

> You're perfectly right !
> But for me it's easier to carry a DVD than a hard disk + power supply
> and cables.
> I'd wish to travel "light", if you see what i mean.
> A hard disk + power supply and cables are something you have to think
> about to prepare in advance, but a dvd is easy to pick at the last
> moment...

A better choice would be a USB flash drive. About $30 at any office supply
or computer store.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:15:11 AM

> David Morgan wrote:
>
>> There is a commonality though... once files have been burned to a
>> CDR or a DVD, their properties have changed to "read only".
>
> Could one burt in session mode instead of disk mode, so that that deal's
> not sealed?
>
> --

Does formatting a CDRW so you can use it like a floppy cause files to still
have the "read-only" flag set? If not (and assuming you have a DVD-RW) can't
you do the same with it?
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 11:50:02 PM

> Does formatting a CDRW so you can use it like a floppy cause files to
still
> have the "read-only" flag set? If not (and assuming you have a DVD-RW)
can't
> you do the same with it?

Well, well, well... So many good solutions actually ! From the most
expensive and "heaviest" ones to the cheapest and "lightest" ones.
Thank you for all these answers.
I appreciated the drive dock adapter that i didn't know at all but that
seems to me at least as heavy as a regular power supply for usb drive. But
this is certainly a good solution when you have to manage several external
drives.
Then came the usb keys and firewire bus powered drives. The goal of the
project being adaptability to any kind of computers, we can consider that
currently usb ports are more convenient than firewire ports. Usb keys are
also light and discrete. But firewire ports are faster. Unfortunately
firewire drives are much heavier, even the smallest ones. If we consider the
price point of view, i really can't decide which one is cheaper. 2 Go Usb
keys seem to be a bit more expensive than firewire bus power drive. I'm not
quite sure... Tell me if i'm right or wrong.
At last came the solution above, that, if it works, would be definitely the
cheapest and lightest of all the solutions evoked ! (if not the safer)...
I decided to go and get a CD-RW and make the test. Being Re-Writable, such a
support doesn't prevent from changing the files attributes after it's been
formatted and written. If this works... i'm done ! Cheap, light and
discrete...
But i could encounter some problems with the different Nero In CD versions
available on the market and installed (or not) on the computers. Knowing
that changing the in CD version and/or the OS could result in loss of data
or a disk with no free space and a single 0 KB Non-Allocatable List file...
this solution might not be the safest !
I will let you know if everything is ok.

It's been a pleasure to have a nice chat with all of you !

jmr
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 7:55:55 AM

> At last came the solution above, that, if it works, would be definitely
> the
> cheapest and lightest of all the solutions evoked ! (if not the safer)...
> I decided to go and get a CD-RW and make the test. Being Re-Writable, such
> support doesn't prevent from changing the files attributes after it's been
> formatted and written. If this works... i'm done ! Cheap, light and
> discrete...
> But i could encounter some problems with the different Nero In CD versions
> available on the market and installed (or not) on the computers. Knowing
> that changing the in CD version and/or the OS could result in loss of data
> or a disk with no free space and a single 0 KB Non-Allocatable List
> file...
> this solution might not be the safest !
> I will let you know if everything is ok.
>
> It's been a pleasure to have a nice chat with all of you !
>
> jmr

Keep us posted how it turns out. It would be nice to have something quick
like that (a CD of your favorite synths) that you could just carry with you
to any place with a computer.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:45:06 AM

"Jihemer" <jmrenvoise@free.fr> wrote in message...

> But i could encounter some problems with the different Nero In CD versions
> available on the market and installed (or not) on the computers. Knowing
> that changing the in CD version and/or the OS could result in loss of data
> or a disk with no free space and a single 0 KB Non-Allocatable List file...
> this solution might not be the safest !
> I will let you know if everything is ok.

I'd like to know what happens also. I'm afraid, however, that the ability
to write a CD(RW) that retains it's original 'archive' properties, may not
be as easy as it would seem... and as you fear, will be extremely biased
specifically toward the software program which created it, for reading it.

Even when I had software that would specifically format a CDRW for
reading or reloading files from the burned disc in a manner designated
by said software, I've never tried to alter small portions of the content of
any CDRW. I've basically considered rewriteable CDRs to be somewhat
laughable since their inception, as they relate to audio. Once blank data
discs finally hit a very modest price, I essentially forgot that rewritables
existed for *any* purpose.

DM
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:00:35 PM

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: mvcle.3462$tv3.1876@trnddc06...

> "Jihemer" <jmrenvoise@free.fr> wrote in message...
>
> > But i could encounter some problems with the different Nero In CD
versions
> > available on the market and installed (or not) on the computers. Knowing
> > that changing the in CD version and/or the OS could result in loss of
data
> > or a disk with no free space and a single 0 KB Non-Allocatable List
file...
> > this solution might not be the safest !
> > I will let you know if everything is ok.
>

> I'd like to know what happens also. I'm afraid, however, that the ability
> to write a CD(RW) that retains it's original 'archive' properties, may not
> be as easy as it would seem... and as you fear, will be extremely biased
> specifically toward the software program which created it, for reading it.
>
> Even when I had software that would specifically format a CDRW for
> reading or reloading files from the burned disc in a manner designated
> by said software, I've never tried to alter small portions of the content
of
> any CDRW. I've basically considered rewriteable CDRs to be somewhat
> laughable since their inception, as they relate to audio.

How right you are... Me too ! But i'll make the test anyway. Just for fun.
It might be a transitory solution. And if this doesn't work at all, i'll
take a firewire bus powered drive, which, if a bit heavier, is much much
safer.

jmr

Once blank data
> discs finally hit a very modest price, I essentially forgot that
rewritables
> existed for *any* purpose.
>
> DM

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 1:44:02 AM

Beverly uses CD-RW for Quicken backups. I have hundreds of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs
here (literally) and I have no use for "rewritable" data storage. It's not
even a possibility.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message

> "Jihemer" <jmrenvoise@free.fr> wrote in message...
>
> > But i could encounter some problems with the different Nero In CD
versions
> > available on the market and installed (or not) on the computers. Knowing
> > that changing the in CD version and/or the OS could result in loss of
data
> > or a disk with no free space and a single 0 KB Non-Allocatable List
file...
> > this solution might not be the safest !
> > I will let you know if everything is ok.
>

> I'd like to know what happens also. I'm afraid, however, that the ability
> to write a CD(RW) that retains it's original 'archive' properties, may not
> be as easy as it would seem... and as you fear, will be extremely biased
> specifically toward the software program which created it, for reading it.
>
> Even when I had software that would specifically format a CDRW for
> reading or reloading files from the burned disc in a manner designated
> by said software, I've never tried to alter small portions of the content
of
> any CDRW. I've basically considered rewriteable CDRs to be somewhat
> laughable since their inception, as they relate to audio. Once blank data
> discs finally hit a very modest price, I essentially forgot that
rewritables
> existed for *any* purpose.
>
> DM

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:02:32 AM

Jihemer wrote:

> I appreciated the drive dock adapter that i didn't know at all but that
> seems to me at least as heavy as a regular power supply for usb drive. But
> this is certainly a good solution when you have to manage several external
> drives.

The one for laptop drives is on the small side.

--
ha
!