Short File Name

digitalhardware

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I have a folder named "Verbal Gate Scrapbook" (it's for my honors writing class). I typed dir /x in the folder it was located in (my user, MaxJason.jmax), but no short file name for it came up. The same happens for "Python Education." I read this Microsoft Article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142982, and it stated "Note that if a folder or file name contains a space, but less than eight characters, Windows still creates a short file name. This behavior may cause problems if you attempt to access such a file or folder over a network. To work around this situation, substitute a valid character, such as an underscore (_), for the space. If you do so, Windows does not create a different short file name

For example, "Afile~1.doc" is generated from "A file.doc" because the long file name contains a space.

No short file name is generated from "A_file.doc" because the file name contains less than eight characters and does not contain a space.

The short file name "Alongf~1.txt" is generated from the long file name "A long filename.txt" because the long file name contains more than eight characters."
Are short file names for "Python Education" and "Verbal Gate Scrapbook" not created because the ~1 (or 2, 3, and so forth) because it is in between the spaces, and not immediately after a character? Like if I I named it Scrapbook, it would be Scrapb~1, but it wouldn't work for the current name? How do I get around this?

digitalhardware

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I just went into the registry to check the short file name creation value, and it is 1, meaning it is (I believe) disabled. Is it like this on Windows 7 64-Bit by default? Also, it is not just those two files that do not have a short file name. Even a folder named "SmallBasic Files" does not have a short file name? What's going on?