aok-pc on switch can't join game

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi,

I'm trying to play aok and my pc is connected to a switch(belkin 5 ports)
thru another pc and that pc is able to join the game (multiplayer online) but
not mine..I've tried disableing the firewall and opening specific
ports(6073,47624?) in the LAN connection and in the internet gateway
connection and that still didn't work. The pc that is sharing the internet
to the switch and to me can join with no problem..Can u please tell me what
is wrong and what to do please..also my pc is running xp and all the updates
are done.thanks a lot
1 answer Last reply
More about switch join game
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

    Hi Tom,

    "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:882994C5-23EB-484E-9CD3-732A3BC5FFD5@microsoft.com...
    | Hi,
    |
    | I'm trying to play aok and my pc is connected to a switch(belkin 5 ports)
    | thru another pc and that pc is able to join the game (multiplayer online) but
    | not mine..I've tried disableing the firewall and opening specific
    | ports(6073,47624?) in the LAN connection and in the internet gateway
    | connection and that still didn't work. The pc that is sharing the internet
    | to the switch and to me can join with no problem..Can u please tell me what
    | is wrong and what to do please..also my pc is running xp and all the updates
    | are done.thanks a lot

    When LAN games don't connect, there are a few variables to consider, for
    example check for a patch at: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

    1. Disconnect from the Internet by physically unplugging the cable or DSL
    line, and then since there's no longer danger of outside attacks, turn off
    your software firewall (Norton's, McAfee, Zone Alarm, Outpost, ICF,
    etc.) as these firewalls could be blocking data to and from your system.

    2. If you use a router, it could be blocking you as well:
    Routers have built-in port blocking firewalls based on NAT technology.
    DirectX games require that ports be open in order for the data packets
    to be able to travel from one system to another. Here's How to Configure
    a router for Multiplayer: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#howto

    3. If Step 1 applies to you, but you want an alternative solution, pick up a cross-
    over cable from your local supply shop to directly connect one computer to
    the other on a 2 player LAN, especially if both computers are close together.

    4. If you have multiple network adapters, the game might be using the wrong one
    To verify this behavior, click Start / Control Panel / System / Hardware Tab
    / Device Manager, click the + next to Network Adapters, right click the adapter
    which accesses the Internet, and "Disable" it from the right-click menu. If that
    works, open Control Panel / Network Connections, click Advanced / Advance
    Settings / click the LAN Connection and then the UP arrow to change it's priority
    so it's at the top of the list. Test your Internet games to see if they work this way.

    5. Read Steve Winograd's Page: http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    And troubleshoot your network using : http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    6. Universal PnP might need to be disabled in your router, or in Windows XP:
    a) To enable or disable UPnP in XP, click Start / Run / type: services.msc
    and you can then right-click Universal Plug and Play on the list to Start it.
    b) Consult your router manual for the UPnP instructions for your model.

    7. Network Adapter drivers may need to be updated on one or all machines.

    8. You may need to specify the target IP using a game specific method.
    Consult your game manual or readme file in the game directory. For MS
    games: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;gmsnetw

    9. You might be specifying the Public IP instead of the Private (LAN) IP.
    To easily find the Public and Private IP numbers of the computer you
    are using, visit: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat_or_not.php

    For more in depth troubleshooting, try this MS Network Troubleshooting article:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/russel/02april08.asp

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Switch Games Video Games