Hard Panning issue

Last response: in Home Audio
May 22, 2005 3:39:09 PM

When mixing and soloing two tracks which were hard panned L and R,

we changed the the panning completely so that hard L -> hard-R and

hard R-> hard L. Thus the panning from 'east and west' turned to

'close' to each other ;-)

We thought it sounded somewhat different. So yesterday I did this with

a mono CD in a loop, closed headphones(no room),chandged hard L-R

in hard R-L and its sounds different in a way.

After the panning change it's sounded less stereo, less bright and a bit

more details in transients, attack. I've turned the headphone, used
different mixers,

different headphones etc. Result: all the same behaviour.

Asking this in a Dutch Pro Audio group this 'thing' is confirmed. So

it is not my ears or brains ;-) I would expect it should sounds the same

when I turned the headphone after the panningswitch.

Is this a known 'thing' or is there a explanation for this, crosstalk or

in the summing or .....?

Henk Schaap

More about : hard panning issue

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:39:10 PM

Henk
It sounds to me like there is a slight colouration between the o/ps. Check
and compare the frequency response, phasing shift between 800Hz, 40Hz, and
12kHz, sig/noise, thd, x-talk at various freqs, of each main chl. And do
involve just the 2 track/input chnls where you routed/altered the pan
direction from! You must use a mono test source split/paralleled to the i/ps
of these particular channels.

Your Pan controls are virtually routeing buttons when at full extent, if
each is favouring a particular main chnl, so it can't be that.
Important:
What were on the solo tracks? Were the two sounds/instruments recorded
contemporalily or was one done later?
If together, did you use a crossed pair or separated close-micing? Is the
reverb compromised by this swapping?
Or probably the sensitivity of each ear is attuned differently. Nobody's
hearing is perfect.

"H. Schaap" <h.schaap01@chello.nl> wrote in message
> When mixing and soloing two tracks which were hard panned L and R,
>
> we changed the the panning completely so that hard L -> hard-R and
>
> hard R-> hard L. Thus the panning from 'east and west' turned to
>
> 'close' to each other ;-)
>

> We thought it sounded somewhat different. So yesterday I did this with
>
> a mono CD in a loop, closed headphones(no room),chandged hard L-R
>
> in hard R-L and its sounds different in a way.
>
> After the panning change it's sounded less stereo, less bright and a bit
>
> more details in transients, attack. I've turned the headphone, used
> different mixers,
>
> different headphones etc. Result: all the same behaviour.
>

> Asking this in a Dutch Pro Audio group this 'thing' is confirmed. So
>
> it is not my ears or brains ;-) I would expect it should sounds the same
>
> when I turned the headphone after the panningswitch.
>

> Is this a known 'thing' or is there a explanation for this, crosstalk or
>
> in the summing or .....?
>

> Henk Schaap

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 4:23:54 PM

"Jim Gregory" <jim.greg@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht
news:o DZje.10904$WQ3.3508@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...

Hi Jim,

Good points, thanks. I will check this the next days.
In theory if I pan the opposite and swap my headphone
then the same signal should be in the same ear. I've
tried Beyer DT-250, Sennheiser, AKG 240DF , AT headphones
and all give the same results.

I am curious if other RAPpers hear this too. If not then it is
my mixer or CD-player, I think.
My first thought was that it is a phase-issue.

Anyway it is a thing to keep in mind while mixing or maybe first to test
if your mixer have the same behaviour.

Henk
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 4:46:48 PM

"H. Schaap" <h.schaap01@chello.nl> schreef in bericht

Sorry for the lay-out. If stereo is mentioned it's offcourse about stereo
recordings

Henk
!