HELP! downsampling audio for IVR phone use?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 22, 2005 3:47:35 PM

Hi a client's asked that a bunch of material that i recorded in
Bias Peak at 16b/44K be converted for voice-prompt use (portions of it
anyway).

He's asked for it to be provided in wav, 16 bit, 8,000 khz Mono.

I am not fluent in the technicality of IVR, -- normally send stuff
to clients in regular sample rate wav or aif and they convert it.

in any event, i'm on a mac, os9, using Peak 2.63 (older version but
i like it better...another story).

when i try using "convert sample rate" to 8k,(from 44.1),
i'm getting off-speed playback of the material (ultra-fast Or,
ultra-slow). Even with
Audio I/O set to "built-in" to avoid any conflict with my Lynx card i
normally use for I/O.

any suggestions of how to go about the conversion in Peak.. or any
other
apps that'll do it? Any eq pre-processing of the original advisable
for a cleaner final product?

One sidenote: I can do a conversion in SoundJam using the .wav
converter feature,
but playback reveals an audible sort of high-end 'hiss' -- is this
common or would i
maybe get a cleaner conversion by being able to just SAVE it as 16/8
directly within Peak?

Thanks much,

MikeInMich
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 4:43:51 PM

For what it's worth, I just tried converting a 16/44.1 mono file into a
16/8 file using Peak 3.0 under OS X, and it turned out just fine. If
you don't want to upgrade Peak for whatever reason, maybe you could
find someone with a newer version to convert the files for you?

Travis Garrison
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:34:30 PM

Hi Travis, Actually I've got 3.0 and "X" on a laptop. Will give that a
shot... Not sure
why this isn't converting tho... In any event, I wound up just using
SOundJam
to do the conversion. It turns out for some reason I had it set for
8bit/8k originally
instead of 16/8 (in Soundjam prefs that is) so they worked out okay
using SJ .wav
converter with the latter settings... (As good as phone stuff can be
expected to sound i guess, tho i'd still be interested in whatever
pre-processing in terms of EQ can be
done (rolloff or boosts etc) with the master at 44/16, before
converting, to optimize
the sound for the end-application of phone-line playback.....

Thanks again..

Mike

!