MN700 & Gateway Timeouts (Any real solutions??)

I've now read dozens of posts regarding:

- Unable to use "Set-up" (pops up and then disapears)

- Unable to use "base station management tools"
(either by clicking it under "tools" or
by "http://192.168.2.1" (gateway timeouts)

- Base Station Management tool "Greyed Out"
(not selectable)

I am one of these people, is there any real answers as to
what causes this an how to prevent it?? unplugging the
device and "showing it who the boss is" is not a solution
or even a temporary fix, I've pressed the little reset
button, rebooted and I've unplugged the device repeatedly
for hours and still no luck.

I'm sure everyone in here appreciates the help that
everyone tries to provide in here, but regurgitating the
same non working solutions to problems that seem VERY
common in this group is useless. We are talking about
the basic function of the router not working, or atleast
working intermitently. Seems like accessing the
Management tool is like winning the lottery, and so far
no one seems to have any answers.

Is there any real solutions to this problem??

Betard.
5 answers Last reply
More about mn700 gateway timeouts real solutions

    "Betard Fooser" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've now read dozens of posts regarding:
    >
    > - Unable to use "Set-up" (pops up and then disapears)
    >
    > - Unable to use "base station management tools"
    > (either by clicking it under "tools" or
    > by "http://192.168.2.1" (gateway timeouts)
    >
    > - Base Station Management tool "Greyed Out"
    > (not selectable)
    >
    > I am one of these people, is there any real answers as to
    > what causes this an how to prevent it?? unplugging the
    > device and "showing it who the boss is" is not a solution
    > or even a temporary fix, I've pressed the little reset
    > button, rebooted and I've unplugged the device repeatedly
    > for hours and still no luck.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone in here appreciates the help that
    > everyone tries to provide in here, but regurgitating the
    > same non working solutions to problems that seem VERY
    > common in this group is useless. We are talking about
    > the basic function of the router not working, or atleast
    > working intermitently. Seems like accessing the
    > Management tool is like winning the lottery, and so far
    > no one seems to have any answers.
    >
    > Is there any real solutions to this problem??
    >
    > Betard.

    Whether it has one or not, the group needs a FAQ about the possible common
    problems and the things we should try first to solve them. This includes
    power
    cycling, reinstalling software, etc. -things you should try before you post
    here
    or call support. The things you should try should be accompanied with
    reasons
    that you should try them-attacking a specific problem. Not just a list of
    things that
    you try. A good example of the kind of thing needed is:
    http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm#1
    (not totally irrelavant).

    Dick Kistler

    I can see this FAQs section. How do we do it?

    Part of the problem in responding to queries is that
    people forget that identifying their OS, their hardware
    setup, and their base station is important to resolving
    their problems.

    I think that telling folks what is important to mention
    when asking a question maybe half the battle in solving it.

    wrote in message
    >> I've now read dozens of posts regarding:
    >>
    >> - Unable to use "Set-up" (pops up and then disapears)
    >>
    >> - Unable to use "base station management tools"
    >> (either by clicking it under "tools" or
    >> by "http://192.168.2.1" (gateway timeouts)
    >>
    >> - Base Station Management tool "Greyed Out"
    >> (not selectable)
    >>
    >> I am one of these people, is there any real answers as
    >> what causes this an how to prevent it?? unplugging the
    >> device and "showing it who the boss is" is not a
    solution
    >> or even a temporary fix, I've pressed the little reset
    >> button, rebooted and I've unplugged the device
    repeatedly
    >> for hours and still no luck.
    >>
    >> I'm sure everyone in here appreciates the help that
    >> everyone tries to provide in here, but regurgitating the
    >> same non working solutions to problems that seem VERY
    >> common in this group is useless. We are talking about
    >> the basic function of the router not working, or atleast
    >> working intermitently. Seems like accessing the
    >> Management tool is like winning the lottery, and so far
    >> no one seems to have any answers.
    >>
    >> Is there any real solutions to this problem??
    >>
    >> Betard.
    >>

    >Whether it has one or not, the group needs a FAQ about
    the possible common
    >problems and the things we should try first to solve
    them. This includes
    >power
    >cycling, reinstalling software, etc. -things you should
    try before you post
    >here
    >or call support. The things you should try should be
    accompanied with
    >reasons
    >that you should try them-attacking a specific problem.
    Not just a list of
    >things that
    >you try. A good example of the kind of thing needed is:
    >http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm#1
    >(not totally irrelavant).
    >
    >Dick Kistler
    >

    >.

    If it has any relevance I am running a windows XP pro
    operating system, I barely use the wireless aspect of the
    router (only with my laptop sometimes, otherwise it is
    connected directly to it.)

    Modem --> MN-700 --> Desktop
    |-----> Laptop

    I can't figure out why I get gateway timeout errors
    trying to get to the management console of the router.
    especially when I can reach the internet fine.

    "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I can see this FAQs section. How do we do it?
    >
    > Part of the problem in responding to queries is that
    > people forget that identifying their OS, their hardware
    > setup, and their base station is important to resolving
    > their problems.
    >
    > I think that telling folks what is important to mention
    > when asking a question maybe half the battle in solving it.

    Referring to: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html is ok too.

    Actually, stating up front what info is needed along with what has been
    tried would be a big step.

    If the questions looked like this, it certainly would make things easier.

    I installed foofarts and found that yingyangs and boofarts told me that a
    hoohah was missing. I searched on google using the error message and found
    that kumquats needed geegaws. I also searched the archives of
    Microsoft.public.broadband.hardware
    and none of the above things was mentioned. I am running the following:

    XP Universal with updates thru 2706
    P-VI 7.08 GHz
    MN-700 Legacy
    3com 3c905b-TX V.1200

    I've tried A, B, C, and III.

    Now does anyone know what a geegaw has to do with a kumquat?

    Actually to start a FAQ, we just need someone to start collecting questions.
    Most of the recurring ones
    are fairly easy to solve. The real problem is when you have one like the OP,
    which has gone on for a long
    time with no solution.

    Dick

    Dick,

    For example, you mean like my response @6:30pm 3JUN04
    to "MN700" about interference from cordless phones? But
    where can this occur? And how do you do it on a
    Newsgroup? Hmmmm.

    ---* Ken

Routers Gateway Networking