Is it possible to deactivate windows 7 ????

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hii everyone.. I have a original Windows 7 ultimate single user DVD and it is activated in a PC. Now I bought a new PC with upgraded components and don't want to run that original copy of windows 7 to the old PC. So is it possible to deactivate the windows 7 from the old PC and to activate in my new PC? Anyones help is appreciated. Thanks to everyone in advance..........

Solution
OEM versions are limited to a single PC and once installed are forever tied to that hardware. However, it is perfectly legitimate to use your "original Windows 7 ultimate single user DVD" .... retail version ...... to install Windows on a new PC provided of course it is no longer used on the old one.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/moving-upgrade-retail-version-of-windows-7-yo/35c9c144-f268-43d8-9f91-e79bf1367018

You can move it to a different computer as long as it's only installed on one computer at a time (and if it's a Windows 7 Upgrade version the new computer must have it's own qualifying XP/Vista license). The previous Windows 7 installation on the old computer must be...
OEM versions are limited to a single PC and once installed are forever tied to that hardware. However, it is perfectly legitimate to use your "original Windows 7 ultimate single user DVD" .... retail version ...... to install Windows on a new PC provided of course it is no longer used on the old one.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/moving-upgrade-retail-version-of-windows-7-yo/35c9c144-f268-43d8-9f91-e79bf1367018

You can move it to a different computer as long as it's only installed on one computer at a time (and if it's a Windows 7 Upgrade version the new computer must have it's own qualifying XP/Vista license). The previous Windows 7 installation on the old computer must be formatted/deleted. You might have to call Microsoft and explain what happened to complete the activation. Activating it on the second computer will automatically in effect "deactivate" the license for the first computer. The key will work with both 32 and 64 bit, but only one can be installed at a time.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador

huh what? he does.

[strike]jayadratha, you should be fine with the way you’re handling it. Keep the old pc offline or format the hdd, otherwise seeing two registration ids at once online could cause problems.

If the operating system you bought is of retail version you should be more than fine installing on another system you deem as long as its only one system at an instance.

If its version is oem then you'll know yourself when you activate the operating system whether Microsoft automated system will accept. If not then you will be required to call Microsoft and tell them your situation, you might be let off :)[/strike]

JackNaylorPE said it better and i was too late :kaola:

TRENDING THREADS