Dual Core or Dual Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger_Rabbit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I've been intensly searching the internet for a high end gaming lap top and have finnaly found some reasonably priced laptops (killernotebooks). The thing is that now I don't know what will be a more effectice gaming machine, one with a dual core or one with dual video cards (I havent been able to find one with both, are there any?). Please help any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Roger_Rabbit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I'm taking this laptop to University so when I'm not gaming I'll be doing the usual worprocessing and web surfing that require next to no computing power. The power usage of the SLI is not a big concerne to me because I will have a socket nerby most of the time that I am using it. I don't care about the weight either. Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me when you'll be getting the Turion X2s?

Roger_Rabbit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
So a Turion X2 with a single geforce go 7900 gtx card would be a better performer than a Turion with SLI geforce go 7900 gtx? I have time so I can wait, I just want to know what would be better.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Well, the Turion MT-40 is going to run at 2.2 Ghz, the top of the line X2 Turion is going to be dual 2.0 Ghz cores. Right now I am running a 4400+ X2 desktop which is 2.2 Ghz, so when you can have that kind of power in a laptop??? A year and a half ago it would have been unheard of!

If I were you I would get the X2 Dual Core with the 7900 GTX or equivalent card. I always go with more processing power over more video card performance. That's me. If you are HARD CORE gamer, maybe the frame rates are what you are after, and in that case the dual video is going to be perfect.

You're probably going to be looking at x1800 XT levels with the 7900 GTX card, here is a graph of the performance you can expect.
7800vs1800_3dmarks.jpg

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Please don't give these guys any more ideas BOSS.

Since I had the x700 card all I heard about was x1600, then 7800 GTX then dual 7800 GTx's then 7900 GTX's and dual 7900 GTX's and x1800 XT's and now, "When is the x1900 coming to laptops".

My abosute favorite then is there is this exact post right now on the forum, "Hey, my laptop gets real hot when I game. Yea, no kidding!

You have a 7900 GTX card at 35-45 watts and a freaking mobile processor working it's ass off cranking another 25 watts enclosed in a notebook case with next to zero airflow and all of that is being cooled by this totally wimpy fan the size of a one on a desktop video card!

Status
Not open for further replies.