Isolation Booth

Last response: in Home Audio
May 23, 2005 3:42:30 PM

Hello all,

I need to put a booth into one end of a live room for drums...certain
factors, such as planning regulations mean that we can't build a booth so
I'm looking at some of the "modular" booths such as:

Esmono, WhisperRoom , Studiobox, Vocalbooth etc. (looking at a 2.5m x 2.5m
booth with a height of 2m)

My requirements are at minimum to reduce the amount of sound coming out of
the booth to a level where it may still be audible, but hopefully no louder
than someone speaking...very approximate I know :-)

Anyone have any first hand experience of these? Am I wasting my time on
these? Budget is around 6000 GBP

JC

More about : isolation booth

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:42:31 PM

John Clark <john.clark@paragonprintandnotthisbitpackaging.com> wrote:

>I need to put a booth into one end of a live room for drums...certain
>factors, such as planning regulations mean that we can't build a booth so
>I'm looking at some of the "modular" booths such as:
>
>Esmono, WhisperRoom , Studiobox, Vocalbooth etc. (looking at a 2.5m x 2.5m
>booth with a height of 2m)
>
>My requirements are at minimum to reduce the amount of sound coming out of
>the booth to a level where it may still be audible, but hopefully no louder
>than someone speaking...very approximate I know :-)
>
>Anyone have any first hand experience of these? Am I wasting my time on
>these? Budget is around 6000 GBP

My experience is that they all do what they say they do very well. BUT,
tracking drums in a small dead room is a terrible way of going about it.

Better to put the rest of the band in the booth and put the drum kit in
the live room!
--scott

May 23, 2005 3:50:26 PM

Hi there,
How live is the room?
You could get a few Baffles on castors, if they reach the ceiling all
the better. (gobos or something the yanks call 'em), and build some amp
traps.
Could be a problem for recording strings etc. with drums. But for
groups, a couple of screens around the other musicians and a the choice
of a good mic will give you the seperation you need. If the room is
"acoustically sound" spill shouldnt really be a problem, unless you
want to remove the drum kit in the finished product of course.

Those iso booths look so sinister, they give me the willies...
D.S.
Related resources
May 24, 2005 8:05:45 AM

I like to build things so I would get a bunch of rigid fiberglass.
make a frame out of 1x6 pine. Put 1/4" ply in the middle using 2x2s to
hold the ply to the frame. maybe put a support in the cecter,
depending on size. Rigid fiberglass on both sides casters on the
bottom with triangular sopports and cover with cheap black fabrick from
the local fabrick shop. put a couple of these around the source.
building these could be a weekend project.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 3:22:06 PM

John Clark wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I need to put a booth into one end of a live room for drums...certain
> factors, such as planning regulations mean that we can't build a booth so
> I'm looking at some of the "modular" booths such as:
>
> Esmono, WhisperRoom , Studiobox, Vocalbooth etc. (looking at a 2.5m x 2.5m
> booth with a height of 2m)
>
> My requirements are at minimum to reduce the amount of sound coming out of
> the booth to a level where it may still be audible, but hopefully no louder
> than someone speaking...very approximate I know :-)
>
> Anyone have any first hand experience of these? Am I wasting my time on
> these? Budget is around 6000 GBP
>
> JC

i've been nothing but happy with WhisperRoom.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 9:04:28 PM

Thanks all for your comments - all taken into consideration :-)

Cheers,

JC

news:D 7251f$sp$1@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU...

!