Stduiomaster PowerHouse 300 8.2 schem wanted

Last response: in Home Audio
May 23, 2005 8:05:47 PM

This one is 1996, and service info is not available on the
info site http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/studiomaster , and the
'new' Studiomaster company don't want to know/tell about anything
before their 'restructure'.

geoff
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:15:40 PM

140mV DC offset on one channel. One o/p transistor and driver has been
changed previously, and the relay, but no components obviously faulty.

geoff (@paf) calling from work this time...

PS Ain't it time you were in bed - it's lunchtime here !?
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:12:11 AM

Other channel offset a few tens of millivolts.

Original complaint was distortion and wild oscillations, though I have
not seen this. So that leaves the slightly high offest on the one
channel. Did find one resistor track-pad broken in the + supply.

Bit of a pain about those "plug-in" boards...

geoff
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:07:27 AM

gwood@audioproducts.co.nz wrote:

> This one is 1996, and service info is not available on the
> info site http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/studiomaster , and the
> 'new' Studiomaster company don't want to know/tell about anything
> before their 'restructure'.

Who did you speak to ?

I'll ask a certain person if he'll put the schematics up. He's usually
fairly busy so don't expect anything overnight.

In the meantine can I assist with whatever problem you presumably have
with your product ?

Graham
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:24:05 AM

gwood@audioproducts.co.nz wrote:

> 140mV DC offset on one channel. One o/p transistor and driver has been
> changed previously, and the relay, but no components obviously faulty.
>
> geoff (@paf) calling from work this time...
>
> PS Ain't it time you were in bed - it's lunchtime here !?

I'm a night owl - lol.

What's the offset on the other channel ? Is the channel in question
misperforming in some other way ?

First off, I'd considering checking the Vbe match on the input transistors
( 2N5401s IIRC ). They may be on one of those 'plug in' boards.

I'll grab a copy of the amp schematic ( although I *ought* to have one
lying around here somewhere ) to help with the component references.

Btw. A tip. Check the soldering on *all* the TO-220 drivers. Dry joints
can sometimes develop there.

Graham
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:07:17 PM

In article <1116889546.981595.250250@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> gwood@audioproducts.co.nz writes:

> This one is 1996, and service info is not available

See Kevin Aylward of Mic Preamp fame. He's a former Studiomaster designer.
Maybe he designed yours.

May 24, 2005 7:41:44 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <1116889546.981595.250250@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
> gwood@audioproducts.co.nz writes:
>
>> This one is 1996, and service info is not available
>
> See Kevin Aylward of Mic Preamp fame. He's a former Studiomaster
> designer. Maybe he designed yours.

Nope.

Kevin Aylward
informationEXTRACT@anasoft.co.uk
http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:41:42 PM

That would be great - thanks (just the power amp rqd).

Things do get a bit noisy from the mixer section when gains wound up
though - all around. DC looks fine and have cleaned/treat 'ribbon''
connectors, sockets, grounds,etc, and firmed up the IDC crimps..

After fixing the resistor connection (0R1 ? in series with TO3
collector ????) I can not hear or see the reported oscillations, etc.
Offset still there, but not a magnitude that is necessarily a terminal
problem.

I hope Studiomaster still occasionally send you a cake or something.

geoff
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:29:14 AM

gwood@audioproducts.co.nz wrote:

> Other channel offset a few tens of millivolts.

Sounds about right.

> Original complaint was distortion and wild oscillations, though I have
> not seen this.

No evidence of any other misbehaviour at all ?

> So that leaves the slightly high offest on the one
> channel. Did find one resistor track-pad broken in the + supply.

What effect did that have ? Have you got the component reference ?

> Bit of a pain about those "plug-in" boards...

A lack of space. It also helps to have certain sections of circuitry
'isolated' from high current areas too ( just done something similar for
an smps ). Long story about that board. It was an 'emergency redesign' I
had to do.

I've found out why the schematics aren't online btw. During one of
Studiomaster's troubled periods the CAD files were 'lost'. I grabbed some
photocopies of the archive copies though.

I can scan them and post them at alt.binaries.schematics.electronics if
you want.

Made any progress btw ?

Graham
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:03:38 AM

gwood@audioproducts.co.nz wrote:

> That would be great - thanks (just the power amp rqd).
>
> Things do get a bit noisy from the mixer section when gains wound up
> though - all around. DC looks fine and have cleaned/treat 'ribbon''
> connectors, sockets, grounds,etc, and firmed up the IDC crimps..
>
> After fixing the resistor connection (0R1 ? in series with TO3
> collector ????) I can not hear or see the reported oscillations, etc.
> Offset still there, but not a magnitude that is necessarily a terminal
> problem.
>
> I hope Studiomaster still occasionally send you a cake or something.

I'm still there actually.

Occasionally Kerri ( the MD's PA ) will bring some cake in for us !

Graham
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 6:39:22 AM

gwood@audioproducts.co.nz wrote:

> That would be great - thanks (just the power amp rqd).
>
> Things do get a bit noisy from the mixer section when gains wound up
> though - all around. DC looks fine and have cleaned/treat 'ribbon''
> connectors, sockets, grounds,etc, and firmed up the IDC crimps..
>
> After fixing the resistor connection (0R1 ? in series with TO3
> collector ????) I can not hear or see the reported oscillations, etc.
> Offset still there, but not a magnitude that is necessarily a terminal
> problem.
>
> I hope Studiomaster still occasionally send you a cake or something.

I'm posting the schematics in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Just hope they come out OK. Too many options on scanner settings !

Graham
!