Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck53

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Hey everyone, I have a problem with my notebook, it is a Toshiba Satellite A75-S206, it has a pentium 4 processor with H/T and 2.8 GHZ, and an ATI Radeon 9000 IGP with 128mb video memory. Well the problem is that the fans overheat pretty bad, it gets so hot that I could boil an egg on the bottom, and sometimes after playing a game or running something stressful, it just shuts down after about an hour, sometimes less than that. I am considering purchasing a notebook cooler, but I cannot decide on which one to get. I have narrowed it down to two coolers.
The first is the Targus Notebook Chill Mat
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...d=1074788100200
The second is the Antecs NoteBook Cooler Pearl
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Ante...roductDetail.do
Any advice on either of these coolers will be greatly appreciated.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You proably needs to clean the lint from the cooling system. And remove the heatpipe cooling system and re-apply AS5 as killernotebook suggested. If you are not capable of cleaning the system, take it in before you fry some hardware.

Take some caned air or better off compressed air and clear all of the lint out. shooting backward and forward. More than likely is the lint has built up on the fan blades, and cooling fins blocking the air ways.

I have a 3ghz P4 notebook, I blowout the lint monthly.

Add a cool pad will not fix a wounded cooling system.

Chuck53

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Thank you for the replies. So, what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't get the notebook cooler. And I actually somewhat made an error when I was describing my notebook. It doesn't always shut down after playing a game for that amount of time, it only happens when I have it on my lap or on my bed. But what it does do is burn my legs and the desk I have it on because it does get extremely hot on the bottom. This is why I thought about getting a notebook cooler.

nugundam93

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
the cooler is still advisable, but don't do it unless you've cleaned out the fans/vents like previously suggested.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If you ar setting it on your lap or bed, you are proably blocking the inlet ports on the bottom. If this is the case look very closely at what you buy so you may block them too.

I use a lap board, which allows the cooling not to be blocked.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You wouldn't believe how many emails I get about the "fans being on".

My first question is, "Is the notebook on a carpet, bed, pillow, couch, dog, cat, etc. right now?"

sepffuzzball

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I'd say y'all wouldn't believe how many students and/or general persons don't use a desk for their laptop. But I'm sure you already know how many of them do. It's bad when they actually damage the CPU just because they want to use their notebook in bed all the time.

You know what I'd do?

Get the thing cleaned out AND the notebook cooler. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.