Windows 2000 reboots on startup

mprzepiora

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
It started with me installing a new GeForce3 ti 200 card yesterday. Everything went smoothly at first, and I even rebooted several times when installing the drivers (first video card, then video capture/tv out, etc...) and everything was just dandy. Now, today, I wake up and Windows 2000 doesn't want to boot completely. Everything's okay until the point where it's supposed to go into the GUI. (So, unfortunately, I didn't have an automatic configuration backup to go to, since the crash happens after just about everything during startup finishes.

Anyway, just as the screen is supposed to go into the Windows GUI, a blue screen of death appears for less than half a second, and the computer restarts. Unfortunately, it goes by so quickly I can't even read it to check what the hell's going on.

Here are the things I have tried so far and didn't help. If anyone has any suggestions, please reply.

- Putting my old video card (a GeForce2 MX400) back in.
- Safe mode
- Safe mode with console
- Boot logging (Unfortunately, the problem happens after Windows stops logging to the file, so this wasn't any help)

Ouch. Eventually I had to go to my four W2k boot disks in order to go to the command console. (I also went through the automatic emergency recovery process to no luck). I tried disabling whatever services I could find that seemed to have to do with the graphics card (video capture drivers, etc).

Right now, I'm about to try a very crude method so I can at least find out what the damned BSOD says. I'm charging my video camera so I can record the error. :p

Anyway, this is quite annoying. I made a Ghost backup of my C drive less than 2 weeks ago, so I can always restore from that if I run out of any other ideas.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Did you uninstall the old drivers before you installed your new ones? And did it still freeze upon going into Safe mode? Can also Try "enable VGA mode" so that it will not load your video drivers.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Unless you have like a ton of stuff, there's a point that I feel that you should just clean install. You might end up wasting more time trying to figure out a solution rather than getting work done.

If this happens again after the clean install, then there would be a cause for concern. As of now, I'm not sure to suggest... :frown:

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

mprzepiora

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I just imported my System Log into my other computer, and I found the following interesting activity before I shut down my computer last night. A setup program, I'm assuming, tried to replace some windows sytem files. Usually,Windows would automatically put the correct ones back in, but I disabled this feature since it takes up about 300 extra MB of disk space, and was unable to do so. The files are:

- ksclockf.ax
- ksvpintf.ax
- ksdata.ax
- ksinterf.ax
- ksdata.ax
- ksvpintf.ax
- ksinterf.ax
- ksclockf.ax
- ksvpintf.ax
- ksinterf.ax
- ksdata.ax
- ksclockf.ax
- ksdata.ax
- ksclockf.ax
- ksvpintf.ax
- ksinterf.ax

I wasn't able to find out much information about these.. Does anyone have any ideas? I'll try replacing them with the originals from my Win2k CD.

mprzepiora

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Well, I fall under the "ton of stuff" category. I haven't formatted my hard disk since it was in my old 350 mhz P2, so you can imagine.. Anyway, I'll probably just end up restoring from the ghost image if this doesn't work. I honestly don't want to have to reinstall everything.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Wow...that must've been such a long time ago. So, I guess you can try that Ghost image if you want. That'll only take like 20 minutes at the most. I know what you mean when you say you don't want to have to reinstall everything. But I just think of the gains I might possibly have doing it. (Of course, time is always an issue.)

Good luck!

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i have the same problem right now!!!! there is a bsod that flashes by saying something is corruped and thats all i can see. right before system gets to the gui (still at splash screen) my hard drive buzzes twice (3 sec buzz 5 sec between, 3 sec buzz)no error beeps, this is a real buzzing sound, and the system reboots. i tried running the repair and the util couldnt find my install. i am F@#CKED if i dont get this thing running. any ideas?

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....