Who makes a good AES/EBU to Firewire (and back) interface?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 24, 2005 12:56:32 PM

Hi. I have an Apogee PSX-100 AD/DA. I want to get a Mac Mini to set up
as a cheap DAW with ProTools LE.

I have no need for analog I/O or loads of channels. I just want to send
my PSX-100 digital (AES/EBU) outs into ProTools LE two tracks at a
time. Then I want to do my mixdowns, and finally wind up with a stereo
AIFF file.

Who makes a good AES/EBU to Firewire (and back) interface?

Thank you,
Roger Carlson
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:17:39 PM

Thanks Forty. Ugh. What level of ProTools do I need to step up to in
order to use the (superior) hardware I already have?

Roger Carlson
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:49:06 PM

On second thought, because of the restriction you mentioned, what if I
use Logic instead of ProTools for the DAW? That way, I'm back to
needing only an AES/EBU to Firewire interface.

Thanks,
Roger
May 24, 2005 8:31:00 PM

qamar@pobox.com wrote in news:1116950192.228666.76040
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hi. I have an Apogee PSX-100 AD/DA. I want to get a Mac Mini to set up
> as a cheap DAW with ProTools LE.
>
> I have no need for analog I/O or loads of channels. I just want to send
> my PSX-100 digital (AES/EBU) outs into ProTools LE two tracks at a
> time. Then I want to do my mixdowns, and finally wind up with a stereo
> AIFF file.
>
> Who makes a good AES/EBU to Firewire (and back) interface?
>
> Thank you,
> Roger Carlson

Well, if you want to use ProTools LE, you need digidesign hardware.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 11:10:38 PM

In article <1116950192.228666.76040@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> qamar@pobox.com writes:

> Hi. I have an Apogee PSX-100 AD/DA. I want to get a Mac Mini to set up
> as a cheap DAW with ProTools LE.

> Who makes a good AES/EBU to Firewire (and back) interface?

That isn't a particulary efficient use of Firewire, so you won't find
many AES/EBU-in Firewire interfaces. Why not get a ProTools M-Box
which has RCA S/PDIF inputs. They'll work with your PSX-100. It's the
cheapest ProTools buy-in.

May 25, 2005 1:43:44 AM

In article <1116964146.839285.125230@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
qamar@pobox.com wrote:

> On second thought, because of the restriction you mentioned, what if I
> use Logic instead of ProTools for the DAW? That way, I'm back to
> needing only an AES/EBU to Firewire interface.

MOTU has several options that qualify. theyt may be overkill right now,
but i bet you grow in to them within 6 months.
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com

Mike Rivers wrote:

> qamarwrites:

> > Hi. I have an Apogee PSX-100 AD/DA. I want to get a Mac Mini to set up
> > as a cheap DAW with ProTools LE.

> > Who makes a good AES/EBU to Firewire (and back) interface?

> That isn't a particulary efficient use of Firewire, so you won't find
> many AES/EBU-in Firewire interfaces. Why not get a ProTools M-Box
> which has RCA S/PDIF inputs. They'll work with your PSX-100. It's the
> cheapest ProTools buy-in.

There is an AES I/O port on the Metric Halo interfaces, which hook to
the comp via Firewire. That gets a pair of channels, not enough for
major multitracking.

--
ha
Anonymous

<qamar@pobox.com> wrote:

> Thanks Forty. Ugh. What level of ProTools do I need to step up to
> in order to use the (superior) hardware I already have?

The most basic Pro Tools LE rig available, the MBox, will do it. It has
S/PDIF I/O that will work with your Apogee.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)