Any Event ASP8 owners?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 24, 2005 3:06:13 PM

I'd like to ask you if you get to clip these speakers very easily? I
noticed the Power On-LEDs go off and on again during loud passages
(short transients) and I was wondering if I was overloading my ASP8s. I
wasn't monitoring very loudly, so I'm a bit puzzled here. There's no
info in the usermanual nor on the Event website if there's a
limiter-circuit of some sort build into these speakers. I don't even
know how much SPL these speakers can handle.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Diego

More about : event asp8 owners

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:32:38 PM

Are those the studio precision ones? I don't have that model but I have
the TSR 8's and I have recently noticed distortion at volumes that it
shouldn't be happening at. Wonder if it is related. I'd think almost
any monitor has some type of clip protection and in some PA speakers it
is a shutoff type of protection, but usually one of longer duration.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
May 26, 2005 5:47:27 PM

transmogrifa wrote:
> Are those the studio precision ones? I don't have that model but I have
> the TSR 8's and I have recently noticed distortion at volumes that it
> shouldn't be happening at. Wonder if it is related. I'd think almost
> any monitor has some type of clip protection and in some PA speakers it
> is a shutoff type of protection, but usually one of longer duration.
>
> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

Make that 3.

Over the past three days, my speakers have been distorting the low end.
Im getting a bit worried. And this tooat levels that it has not
happened before. Im gonna check in detail tommorow. I have a pair of
TR5's

Sidhu
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 26, 2005 9:44:18 PM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 13:47:27 -0700, Sidhu wrote:

> transmogrifa wrote:
>> Are those the studio precision ones? I don't have that model but I have
>> the TSR 8's and I have recently noticed distortion at volumes that it
>> shouldn't be happening at. Wonder if it is related. I'd think almost
>> any monitor has some type of clip protection and in some PA speakers it
>> is a shutoff type of protection, but usually one of longer duration.
>>
>> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
>

> Make that 3.
>
> Over the past three days, my speakers have been distorting the low end.
> Im getting a bit worried. And this tooat levels that it has not
> happened before. Im gonna check in detail tommorow. I have a pair of
> TR5's
>
> Sidhu

Actually the original poster was asking about ASP8's which are WAY
different from the rest of the Event line, excepting ASP6's of course.

FWIW I have the ASP8's and I suspect the clip lite is very conservative
because I can play these puppies VERY LOUD (6ft equilateral triangle
listening point) before I hear AUDIBLE distortion. The clip lites do seem
to come on VERY early however.

For those interested, I sold my Mackie HR824's a week after using the
Events.
No comparison in terms of smoothness and low frequency response and my
mixes translate well.
With my 824's clients were always asking "where's the sub"? With the
Events, they are asking where is the sub-sub (only kidding) but these
babies go very low and clean.

My only complaint is I wonder if the amps are really 280w (200/80).
Half of my ears say yes, the other half wonders a little :)

HTH
SO

P.S I HATED the 20/20's because they sounded tubby and flabby to me.
The ASP8's sound NOTHING like the 20/20's.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:12:56 PM

On 2005-05-26, transmogrifa <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote:
> Are those the studio precision ones? I don't have that model but I have
> the TSR 8's and I have recently noticed distortion at volumes that it
> shouldn't be happening at.

Event's ASP8 (Studio Precision 8) and TSR8 (Tuned Reference 8) are two
different products if that is what you ask. I own the ASP8s and my ears
like them better than Mackie's HR824 which was also under consideration.

/Allan
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:46:32 PM

>On 2005-05-26, transmogrifa <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote:
> Are those the studio precision ones? I don't have that model but I have
> the TSR 8's and I have recently noticed distortion at volumes that it
> shouldn't be happening at.

Event's ASP8 (Studio Precision 8) and TSR8 (Tuned Reference 8) are two
different products if that is what you ask. I own the ASP8s and my
ears
like them better than Mackie's HR824 which was also under
consideration.

/Allan

Yes, I was talking about the Event ASP8 monitors. I only own them for a
week now, and I must say that I'm very happy with them. The mixes I
make on these speakers translate so well, it's just eerie. The weird
thing about these babies, they sound really good. At first I was a bit
like, ...mmmm, can this be right?, but now I believe I can actually
make very good mixes on them, and not worry about if the music will
sound good on other systems.

Concerning my original post, I contacted Josh Dugan at Event
Electronics. He confirmed my suspicion that the Power-ON leds are
indeed Clip LEDs. I quote:"The LED power on / clipping indicator light
goes out when you get within 6dB from clipping and maximum output." so
the behaviour I discribed was completely normal. The user-manual not
mentioning this feature on these speakers wasn't very helpfull.
!