Sign in with
Your question

Max Payne (mouse slowdown)

Last response: in Video Games
December 27, 2001 8:52:48 PM

I just got Max Payne. When I start the game there is a time delay between the actual mouse movement and the onscreen movement (i.e. I would move the mouse forward and 2 second later the camera view will adjust accordingly). This lag is taking away from the playing experience.
Has anyone experienced this in the past? Any ideas as to what may be causing this behavior?
My system: Asus A7V; CPU Athlon T-Bird 800 MHz; NVIDIA GForce 3 (video card); 512MB PC-133 SDRAM; 7200RPM IBM DESKSTAR (GXP-75) Hard Drive; CL Sound Blaster MP3+; Logitech ergonomic wheelman mouse.

Any and all help apreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
December 27, 2001 8:56:24 PM

Stop right-clicking?

Sorry, just a joke. This doesn't happen in other games?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
December 27, 2001 10:35:50 PM

No, it doesn't happen with any other games. All my other games run just fine. For example, Quake3 with all the settings on high at a display resolution of 1024x768x32 with Antialiasing on constantly runs at 90FPS. This frame rate is representative of my computer's average gaming performance.
Any sugestions?
Once again, many thanks in advance.
Related resources
December 27, 2001 10:57:22 PM

What settings do you have Max Payne on?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
December 28, 2001 12:32:04 PM

FatBurger,
I solved the problem! I flashed my BIOS. I updated it from version 1.003 to v. 1.009 (the latest version available for the VIA KT133 chipset). After the update, the game runs silky smooth at the heightest level of detail.
FatBurger, thank you for your time and interest.
December 28, 2001 4:53:27 PM

See, I told you all you needed to do was update the BIOS. :) 

Glad it's working, it's a cool game.

September 11, 2002 5:19:49 PM

right click on desktop, advanced, ur vid card, advanced, open gl, pre-render limit 1 (default is 3, experiment, this can cause controller lag, the lower your fps, the more lag you will notice)

The first LAN party I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me when I shot a crab in HL!
September 14, 2002 9:57:16 AM

On the subject of Max Payne... Im stuck at the bit where the woman is about to take of in her helicopter and you have to stop her. Can anyone give me any hints on what to do?

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....
!