Protools 002R and MOTU 2408/Cubase on Same PC?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 24, 2005 6:18:20 PM

Hello great minds of RAP!
I want to be able to transfer 24 tracks from a Tascam DA-98 to my PC,
but can only do 8 tracks at a time with the Digi 002R. I removed my
MOTU 324 interface card before installing the 002R for fear of system
conflicts in Protools. Is there any reason why I can't use the MOTU
324/2408 interface with Cubase on the same PC as Protools? This would
sure beat needing to transfer 8 tracks at a time into the 002R through
a TDIF-Lightpipe conversion in the 2408 and getting Protools to lock
the DA-98 with MTC.

System information:
Gateway 820 (P4 2.8 Gz, 1 GB RAM)
Windows XP Pro SP1
Protools 002R
Protools LE 6.4

Thanks!

George Whittam
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 10:45:32 AM

In article <1116969500.817802.79180@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> geo@eldorec.com writes:

> I want to be able to transfer 24 tracks from a Tascam DA-98 to my PC,
> but can only do 8 tracks at a time with the Digi 002R.

I assume you have three DA-98s, but I guess you've figured that out.

> Is there any reason why I can't use the MOTU
> 324/2408 interface with Cubase on the same PC as Protools?

There's no reason why you can't, but computers are perverse and
something might not work right when you have both interfaces
installed. You have everything you need in order to try it. Why don't
you? All it will cost you is some time.

But don't let it cost you too much time. If it takes you ten hours
longer to transfer your DTRS projects 8 tracks at a time than 24
tracks at a time, but takes you thirty hours to get your computer
working with both interfaces, you lose. Budget your head-banging time
sensibly. Of course if this is going to be an ongoing transfer
project, it's worth spending more time to make it work. But if it's
for just a handful of reels, it's easier just to do it the harder way
once and then it's done. Not all of us love challenges.

May 26, 2005 4:19:52 AM

Actually, it's 1 DA-98 and 2 DA-38's, but that's not important. I agree
with you that it may not be worth the debugging time. This is actually
for a client of mine and I've already banged my head enough installing
Protools on his PC, getting all the software updates, firmware
upgrades, and all that garbage from the friendly "people" at
Digidesign.
Any tips for getting Protools to pay attention when I send it MTC from
the DA-98?
I've followed the steps in the DA-98 manual to make sure it is indeed
outputting MTC, I striped SMTPE TC to the tape, I have a MIDI cable run
from the MIDI out of the DA-98 to the MIDI IN of the Digi002R, I have
the Protools set to Generic MTC, and I have it set to Online, and it
says "waiting for sync" at the bottom of the screen, but still no
luck...
Thanks in advance...
George Whittam
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 12:49:56 PM

In article <1117091992.741049.170070@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> geo@eldorec.com writes:

> Any tips for getting Protools to pay attention when I send it MTC from
> the DA-98?
> I've followed the steps in the DA-98 manual to make sure it is indeed
> outputting MTC, I striped SMTPE TC to the tape

I'm not that familar with the DA-98 but you probably need to find the
right buttons (on the right menus). I believe that there's a setting
that takes the time code that's displayed on the recorder and sends it
out the MIDI port as MTC. You need to find that button. I think
there's also a button that replaces the internal time code (it's on the
tape, not as one of the eight audio tracks) with time code read from
one of the audio tracks. Take your pick. Either way, you need to get
MIDI time code out of the recorder.

> I have a MIDI cable run
> from the MIDI out of the DA-98 to the MIDI IN of the Digi002R, I have
> the Protools set to Generic MTC, and I have it set to Online, and it
> says "waiting for sync" at the bottom of the screen,

Do you have any way of telling whether you're getting MTC out of the
DA-98? That's most likely where your problem is. Do you have some other
program that's a MIDI monitor so you can verify this? If you have a
Windows computer, you can use Bob Smith's MMC program.
http://www.bsstudios.com

There's probably also a button on ProTools that tells it where the
MIDI data is coming in. It may be that you have everything right
except it's looking for MIDI on some other port, perhaps an internal
sound card.

May 27, 2005 4:04:27 PM

Wouldn't the MIDI interface's MIDI indicator LED on the front panel
flash indicating a MIDI signal is present?

George
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:26:26 PM

"soundgun" <geo@eldorec.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to transfer 24 tracks from a Tascam DA-98 to my PC,
> but can only do 8 tracks at a time with the Digi 002R. I removed my
> MOTU 324 interface card before installing the 002R for fear of system
> conflicts in Protools. Is there any reason why I can't use the MOTU
> 324/2408 interface with Cubase on the same PC as Protools?

It should work. Then again, should doesn't always does when it comes to
kompoooters. You got nothin' but half-an-hour to lose by trying it
though. My money is on it working fine with no problems.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)