Sign in with
Your question

Windows 64 OEM?

Last response: in Windows 7
July 8, 2012 5:31:07 PM

Hello,
I'm building a computer and I saw somewhere that some windows 7 versions had both 32 and 64 bit versions. Is this true? Also I was thinking about buying windows 7 OEM from newegg. There aren't any problems with this, are there?

More about : windows oem

a b $ Windows 7
July 8, 2012 5:34:10 PM

what the OEM version is is for computer builders. they are CDs that are permanently attached to the motherboard/CPU you install them in, and cannot be used when there is a computer change. and yes, some versions of windows offer both the 32 and 64 bit versions.
m
l
a c 243 $ Windows 7
July 8, 2012 5:35:28 PM

There are no issues with buying an OEM version of Windows. You do need to be aware that OEM versions are tied to the original motherboard when you register/activate them with MS. So, if you change motherboards in the future, you may have to buy a new license.

64-bit is the norm these days as well.
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2012 5:57:09 PM

The retail version contains both 32 bit and 64 bit in the package. OEM, you have to choose which one you want to buy, 32 bit or 64 bit.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 8, 2012 6:10:49 PM

Hi :) 

If you buy the retail version of Windows 7 Home premium you get BOTH 32 and 64 bit discs...which you can use on another machine in the future...

Or you can buy the illegal OEM (only 1 disc 32 or 64 bit) version which will lock to your motherboard and be unusable in the future on another machine...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 243 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 4:23:58 PM

Illegal? Please explain. If you build your own system, you are a "system builder". If so, the OEM version use is a legal use (with the limitation of being restricted to the original mobo).

Regardless, the retail version is the more appropiate version for most users. Especially, if the "full" version (not an upgrade unless a previously installed version is on the system) is purchased and installed.
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 4:39:56 PM

He's building a computer the OEM is perfectly legal.
m
l
a c 243 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 5:01:49 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
He's building a computer the OEM is perfectly legal.

+1. Agreed. Can't see a company like Newegg, for example, selling "illegal" software.
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 5:03:22 PM

Microsoft has never prosecuted a person that installs an OEM on a prebuilt or a custom build.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 12:35:42 AM

I have said this in many threads and will say it again.....

I own computer companies in the Uk... and >>> I <<< am an OEM...

I MANUFACTURE custom pcs and SELL them to customers....

The fact that Microsoft does not take Newegg to court does NOT mean its legal to buy an OEM as "A SINGLE HOME USER"

OEM licences were intended to allow small companies like mine to make a little profit, the likes of Dell, Acer etc etc then demanded the same rights, and it all went downhill from there...

But if small companies with shops like mine cannot make a living, then they go bust , which will only leave the big companies....

When that happens, anyone like to guess which way prices will go ???? and it wont be down....

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 12:43:24 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Microsoft has never prosecuted a person that installs an OEM on a prebuilt or a custom build.

You are correct ...BUT they have and will REFUSE to activate that OEM licence on future machines....

We get customers come into my shops all the time who tried it and ask what to do....I then sell them a RETAIL copy of Windows...

I did exactly that today, the customer THOUGHT (wrongly) that as he got a COA sticker with the OEM licence he bought that when his machine PSU blew his motherboard and he built a brand new machine he thought he could use his COA again.... which WOULDNT activate, and when he spoke to the helpline and explained what he had done they refused to help him....

So I sold him a Retail 7..... and he went away VERY UNHAPPY with Microsoft....as in his head...any licence was usuable....and its not...

m
l
!