HELP!! SCSI Ultra160 installing new HD

Jimmyvu

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
Hi everyone, hope someone sees this and help me out. I just bought a new IBM Ultrastar Ultra3 SCSI 36.7G 15k rpm hard drive and I'm having a terrible time getting it to appear in Win XP Pro.

Here's what I'm using:
P4 2ghz (don't want to go into too much details)
Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI card BIOS V3.10.0
Seagate Cheeta ST39102LC 9G HD 10K rpm
IBM ULTRASTAR DPSS-318350M 18G HD
Plextor UltraPlex40max ultra wide scsi CD-ROM drive
Plextor PlexWriter scsi CD writer
Windows XP Pro

When I installed the new IBM Ultrastar(SCSI ID-5), the Adaptec 29160 card detects the new HD. Once WinXP boots up, the new drive doesn't appear under "My Computer", but under "DEVICE MANAGER>DISK DRIVES" the drive does appear.
The last time I added a new HD (IBM ULTRASTAR 18G) I had to use a special DOS boot up disk for WIN ME that had all the SCSI ASPI drivers, then under DOS I had to format the new dive, only then does WinXP recognize the new drive. Unfortunately I no longer can find that boot up disk, so I had to make a new boot up disk under Win XP. With the new XP boot up disk, DOS doesn't even see any SCSI drives. I can't format anything if DOS doesn't recognize it. Isn't there a way you can format the drive in WinXP without going to DOS? I mean, the device manager recognizes the drive, so why can't I just access the drive? I've also used the Adaptec SCSI ultility at start-up to access the drive and formated it. I've already visited the Adaptec website for help, but none of the solution I got work. I've also visited numerous SCSI fan site, but all I got was info that I've already know and tried. I'm sure the drive isn't bad. I'm running out of storage space on my existing HD, and desperately need this new drive installed asap, my job depends on it. you guys are my last resort, I know someone has encounter this problem before. Please help me out.
Thanks

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Use Disk Management console in XP (typing <b>diskmgmt.msc</b> at <b>Run</b> command) to partition and format the drive.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.