Anti Virus

hijaxhfx

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Anyone know any good Anti virus out there that is not a Resource hog? i am using Avast right now and it seems like it is slowing my pc down

DeusAres

Distinguished

I had an awful experience with AVG once in the past. Over 400 viruses somehow still found their way on my old desktop computer. Other people used it more than i did so that may be the reason why. But I feel as though AVG should have performed better than it did. I also had installation problems. Something happened so that it ended up only being half installed. Had to find a manual uninstaller to get the program off. After that, I just decided to try something completely different...and that's when I ran into Microsoft security essentials.

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Sorry to hear about your experience with AVG.

FWIW, I also use Uniblue power suite (Which has generally smoothed my ride with drivers, optimizing, etc.)
Also ditched MSE as it wasn't cleaning as good (some sort of spyware MSE didn't catch) as the 3rd party AV like Avast and AVG. Finally settled with AVG because of the
simple interface, special 3 pack on newegg with pc tune up. (yeah, I got more tools than enough XD)

400 viruses? You went down 'skid row' of the internet?

DeusAres

Distinguished

lol, it was an old computer that I let my family use. Big mistake...

But yeah, I use uniblue as well. Works well, but I was looking for something that was free and wouldn't force me to spread my five finger discount propaganda.... :D ;)

And I generally use malwarebytes in conjunction with MSE as it usually picks up what MSE leaves behind...which is rare. Idk, perhaps AVG has improved. Might give a chance again one day. About time I mess around a little bit anyways. Computer is getting boring lol. Could use some changes. Might check out avast and a few others while I'm at. XD

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Ah yes, those old ones. Well, if they still get the job done...

But anyway, yes, AVG does offer Free version of AVG. http://www.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download

And yes, computers can get boooring.
That's why I picked up Magix Music maker mx to maintain some fun between work and chores and everything else.
I must admit, it's really cool!