Sign in with
Your question

Does an Antec 550w work with a Pentium 3 ??

Last response: in Components
June 19, 2003 2:04:13 PM

I was just wondering if a high end power supply like the Antec 550W or some of the other high end Enererx or Fortron's power supplies will work with my Pentium 3 system below. I keep seeing these power supplies advertised for Pentium 4 systems and such, and just wanted to make sure that they will also work with Pentium 3 systems before I order one.

Can anybody also comment on what high end power supply unit I should get? The reason I ask is because I see a lot of mixed opinions in here, mainly between Antec and Fortron and just want to buy something very good that will last me for a very long time. I plan on doing a system upgrade to a Pentium 4 2.4c or 2.8c with an Abit IS7 motherboard and Corsair PC 3500 memory in this next year. I also plan to do some nice overclocking with this Pentium 4 setup that I will buy, so I want to make sure that I get a power supply that gives me all the power I will EVER need.

And if anybody can give opinions on where to buy this PSU and what the best price I can get it for is I would appreciate it. I live on the East Coast if that matters for shipping... I will need something FAST because my psu is going down the tubes right now I think..

My system:
P3 850mhz (100fsb), 512 Micron PC133, Abit SE6, IBM Deskstar 75gxp (60 gig @ 7200rpm), Hercules 3D Prophet 2 GTS (64 meg), SB Live MP3, Pioneer 16x DVD, Asus 45x CD-Rom
June 19, 2003 4:23:24 PM

Yes it will work fine... the P4 certification only means that it has an additional 4 pin 12V connector which is used on many P4 boards.

As for the which brand... Fortron and Antec are about equally good, although the Fortron will probably be cheaper and more efficient while the Antec might be a little more silent. I would go for the cheapiest one of the two.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: 
June 19, 2003 6:30:16 PM

check pricewatch.com
Related resources
June 20, 2003 2:40:47 AM

According to Tom's Hardware, Fortron power supplies are better than the other two for the following reasons:

1.) they are more efficient
2.) they are quieter
3.) they have more "over capacity"
4.) They are MUCH CHEAPER, a nice thing since they are also much better!

Yes, they work on a PIII system. I wouldn't bother to go larger than 400W with a Fortron or 450W with an Antec/Enermax for what you're doing. But you can get the 530W Fortron for a bit more, if you like, at Newegg.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
June 20, 2003 3:51:23 PM

I don't understand why Fortron are really only sold through NewEgg... they aren't that popular I guess here in the USA..

My system:
P3 850mhz (100fsb), 512 Micron PC133, Abit SE6, IBM Deskstar 75gxp (60 gig @ 7200rpm), Hercules 3D Prophet 2 GTS (64 meg), SB Live MP3, Pioneer 16x DVD, Asus 45x CD-Rom
June 20, 2003 6:48:35 PM

In Canada they're sold as Sparkle Power.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
June 21, 2003 3:25:31 AM

Beause they're mainly sold to the OEM market. Inwin, Aopen, Sparkle Power, etc, all buyers of FSP supplies.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
!