Does it Worth the "Dual Channel Upgrade"?

windcloud

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
i read all the Toms' article on Dual Channel, but there is NOTHING on a comparison on the " regular DDR 400 2x256mb" and the "Dual Channel 2x256mb"

The Price is about TWICE as much for Dual Channel.
2x256mb Dual DDR400 = 2x512 regular DDR400

How much in percentage in terms of performance is there???
anyone know?
does Dual performance = "2 times" of regular??

or is it just that 20-35% increase total from the regular which i assume from the graph test article of Toms.

Conclusion:
Should i buy a 2x256 Dual Channel DDR 400
or
2x512 regular DDR400??

about the same price
System:
P4 2.6Ghz 800bus

Someone pls tell me...i been looking for an answer for a long time..and

addyngan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Dual channel simply mean having both memory sticks operating together. In theoretical memory bandwidth it's close to twice better, but of course that does not translate directly to real world performance.

Also there are no difference between the memory that are used in dual channels or not. The more expensive 'pairs' are only from manufacturers that claim the pair work well together, but the memory stick themselves are no different. I would be surprised if they are twice as expensive.

G

Dual channel DDR on the P4's rocks all over single channel as it was with RDRAM. You'd be crazy to get a high end system without it at this point, DDR, or R.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're either nuts, or poorly informed. There is no such thing as a type of ram called "dual channel DDR", the term "dual channel DDR" means two channels in parallel using STANDARD DDR.

Yes, some companies "pair" their modules so you can buy a "matched pair", but they only do this to woo the uninformed, and make only a small amount more by doing so.

Conclusion:
THERE IS NO PHUKING THING AS SPECIAL "DUAL CHANNEL DDR" RAM!!!

If you're using an 865PE/875P chipset board, you'll want the best memory you can buy, as the memory controllers of these things are very agressive when it comes to timings. I suggest you buy 2 Corsair "LL" DIMMs.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Quote: Crashman
--------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion:
THERE IS NO PHUKING THING AS SPECIAL "DUAL CHANNEL DDR" RAM!!!
--------------------------------------------------------

LMAO!!!!!!!!

XeeN