Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 won't boot after installing USB 3 hub.

Last response: in Windows 7
July 8, 2012 11:46:41 PM

Hi, I recently installed a new USB 3 Hub, however, Windows 7 refuses to boot when it is plugged in (via 4-pin molex from the PSU). When the unit is unplugged it boots just fine, but when it is plugged in it just hangs at the start-up screen indefinitely. I have no clue what the problem could be, anyone care to help?

The hub: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VAOT24/ref=oh_deta...
a b $ Windows 7
July 8, 2012 11:55:45 PM

Hi :) 

I have an external USB 3 hub which does precisely the same thing.....

Its an incompatability between it and my Asus motherboard, as I tried it in other machines with other motherboards without problems...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
July 10, 2012 8:24:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, if I plug it in after Windows has already booted up, it will work just fine.

So, it works with my mobo just fine, it seems windows is having some type of compatibility issue with it. Also, I just tried using a fresh install of Windows 7, still does the same thing. :/ 
m
l
Related resources
a c 395 $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 9:31:26 PM

Make sure there are no usb devices listed in the bios as bootable.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 11:21:58 PM

General Gilliam said:
Thanks for the reply. The thing is, if I plug it in after Windows has already booted up, it will work just fine.

So, it works with my mobo just fine, it seems windows is having some type of compatibility issue with it. Also, I just tried using a fresh install of Windows 7, still does the same thing. :/ 

Again mine is EXACTLY the same as yours...try to boot with it connected and i hangs just after the bios screen...forever...

If I boot WITHOUT it connected, it will boot fine, then plug it in and it all works fine... all 4 usb 3 ports...

And its NOT windows as with mine it only gets to just after the first bios screen and it hangs, so its nowhere near seeing windows...

And no options in the bios make any difference to the problem...tried them all :( 

What make of motherboard is yours ?? an Asus like mine by any chance ?

m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 11:43:47 PM

If nothing is plugged into the hub does it boot.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 12:04:00 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
If nothing is plugged into the hub does it boot.

Nope..not either way...nothing plugged in or something plugged in..no boot :( 

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 8:12:36 AM

Chasnge the boot option to only the boot drive and disable other options.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 6:06:01 PM

TenPc said:
Chasnge the boot option to only the boot drive and disable other options.

Done all that...exactly the same.... :( 

m
l

Best solution

April 13, 2013 1:07:27 AM

General Gilliam said:
Hi, I recently installed a new USB 3 Hub, however, Windows 7 refuses to boot when it is plugged in (via 4-pin molex from the PSU). When the unit is unplugged it boots just fine, but when it is plugged in it just hangs at the start-up screen indefinitely. I have no clue what the problem could be, anyone care to help?

The hub: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VAOT24/ref=oh_deta...

Install the empty hub into the usb socket, there will no trouble booting up . then install your ubs devices to the hub. next time it will boot fine. if you disconnect the hub make sure you follow this procedure before plugging the multi hub in. Bingo
!