Fast memory that works with Asus P4P800(Deluxe)

addyngan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
There has been a lot of problems of getting DDR400 to work with P4P800 at CAS 2.0, even with the updated BIOS 1007. So i would like to know from the crowd which memory you have used that worked or not worked.

I am using two sticks of Corsair XMS 256MB PC3200C2 that worked perfectly. However, I also tried two Corsair XMS 512MB PC3200C2 that fails so bad. The only setting i can get it to work without crashing is 2.5-4-4-8. According to RamGuy from Corsair's forum, he's suggesting people to use PC3500. But they are expensive.

Have anybody used other memory that work (at least CAS 2.5)? I would like to have 1G in my system, so i want to either upgrade to two sticks of 512MB, or add 2 256MB sticks. But i heard getting 4 sticks to run is even harder..

Addy

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I had problems using two sticks of Kingston HyperX 256 at first. In fact, I actually sent one of the sticks back for a replacement. I upgraded the BIOS to 1007 and installed the replacement stick and even though it was more stable, the machine still did random re-boots. I called Kingston and they told me how I should manually set the timing with the HyperX and the Springdale mobo. Once I did that everything seems quite stable. I haven't had a crash since. You might want to call the memory manufacturer and see what kind of timings they suggest for the mobo.

addyngan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
So what's the timings that u get it to work? For my 256MB sticks they can work at 2-3-3-6. For the 512MB, it can only work at 2.5-4-4-8.

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I'll check the timings when I get home. I'm at work now and I'm old enough that I can't remember what they had me set them to! :) I do know that when I turned off the Auto for SPD and read the timings that showed up to the guy from Kingston he said "Whoa, no wonder it won't work!" The timings were VERY conservative. Actually, I'm not sure that those timings that showed up were what the Auto SPD set the memory for at boot time. I would think that on Auto it would be dynamic and check the RAM at each boot. I guess the question is; does it set the timing before the BIOS setup screen or after?