S/PDIF output for laptop?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2005 7:40:29 PM

Google seems to be having a problem at the moment, so please forgive me
if this has been beaten to death before...

I need a device to add a coax S/PDIF output to a Windows XP laptop. I'm
looking for the most stoopid simple, lowest cost alternative available.

It's gotta be coax -- the mating device has no optical connection.

A PCMCIA (PC Card) device would be fine. So would self-powered USB
(devices that need external power are no good though). Most of the
devices I've found are either major overkill (multiple I/O with MIDI
etc.) or require external power for a breakout box.

It just needs to handle 48K, so high sample rate support is not
required. 24 bit word length would be nice, but 16 bit is okay.
Cheaper is gooder. I don't even need an input, just an out.

Anyone have any suggestions of devices I may have overlooked? Anyone
have something they want to sell?

Thanks!

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

More about : pdif output laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2005 7:40:30 PM

In article <N5mle.12362$on1.294@clgrps13> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> I need a device to add a coax S/PDIF output to a Windows XP laptop. I'm
> looking for the most stoopid simple, lowest cost alternative available.

The Edirol UA-1D. Simple as it gets, and about $100 as I recall.

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/archive/ua1d.html

a b D Laptop
May 29, 2005 1:41:16 PM

Thanks Mike.

While noodling around the Edirol site, I noticed they make frequent (and
sometimes vehement) reference to the importance of having a "compatible"
USB controller. The fact that they say it so often makes me nervous...

I can't seem to find the chipset my XP laptop uses for its USB
controllers. Anyone know how I can find out? The instructions on
Edirol's site yield no specifics about the chipset.

> In article <N5mle.12362$on1.294@clgrps13> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca
> writes:
>
>> I need a device to add a coax S/PDIF output to a Windows XP laptop.
>> I'm
>> looking for the most stoopid simple, lowest cost alternative
>> available.
>
> The Edirol UA-1D. Simple as it gets, and about $100 as I recall.
>
> http://www.edirol.com/products/info/archive/ua1d.html

a b D Laptop
May 29, 2005 1:41:17 PM

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote ...
> While noodling around the Edirol site, I noticed they make
> frequent (and sometimes vehement) reference to the importance
> of having a "compatible" USB controller. The fact that they
> say it so often makes me nervous...
>
> I can't seem to find the chipset my XP laptop uses for its USB
> controllers. Anyone know how I can find out? The instructions
> on Edirol's site yield no specifics about the chipset.

On my XP laptop, I can right-click the "My Computer" icon,
select "Manage" from the pop-up menu and see the "Computer
Management" screen. Select "Device Manager" from the list
in the left pane. In the right pane a hierarchal list of the devices
will be displayed. Expand the one labeled "Universal Serial
Bus controllers". On this Dell Inspiron 8500, it shows:

Intel(R) 82801DB/DBN USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller -24CD
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBN USB Universal Host Controller -24C2
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBN USB Universal Host Controller -24C4
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBN USB Universal Host Controller -24C7

in addition to several other physical or logical USB stuff.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2005 6:57:15 PM

In article <07gme.21129$on1.16222@clgrps13> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> I can't seem to find the chipset my XP laptop uses for its USB
> controllers. Anyone know how I can find out? The instructions on
> Edirol's site yield no specifics about the chipset.

Do you know how to find the Device Manager? Go there and expand the
Universal Serial Bus controllers listing. On my XP laptop, I see:

Intel(R) 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2482

If you don't see anything in that line that's on the "banned" list,
it's probably OK.

a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 12:45:49 AM

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

> On my XP laptop, I can right-click the "My Computer" icon,
> select "Manage" from the pop-up menu and see the "Computer
> Management" screen. Select "Device Manager" from the list
> in the left pane. In the right pane a hierarchal list of the devices
> will be displayed. Expand the one labeled "Universal Serial
> Bus controllers". On this Dell Inspiron 8500, it shows:
>
> Intel(R) 82801DB/DBN USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller -24CD
> Intel(R) 82801DB/DBN USB Universal Host Controller -24C2
> Intel(R) 82801DB/DBN USB Universal Host Controller -24C4
> Intel(R) 82801DB/DBN USB Universal Host Controller -24C7
>
> in addition to several other physical or logical USB stuff.

Yup, I was using the Device Manager, but all it says is "Standard USB
Host Controller." How's THAT for useless information?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 12:45:50 AM

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote ...
> Yup, I was using the Device Manager, but all it says is "Standard
> USB Host Controller." How's THAT for useless information?

You expanded the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" line
(click on the [+] icon)? Mine displays 11 lines when expanded.

If that is all it says, then I agree, useless. What computer is it?
There might be more info available from whomever made the
mother board, etc.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 1:06:11 AM

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

> You expanded the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" line (click on the
> [+] icon)? Mine displays 11 lines when expanded.

Yup. When expanded it shows three instances of "Standard USB Host
Controller" and three instances of "USB Root Hub." No information about
the chipset at all.

While frustrating, it's somewhat comforting to know that at least I
*was* looking in the right place, and am not yet a COMPLETE idiot. I'm
still definitely a "high percentage" idiot, but I haven't yet completed
my studies...

> If that is all it says, then I agree, useless. What computer is it?
> There might be more info available from whomever made the
> mother board, etc.

Sony Vaio (PCG-GRV550). Their web site is not exactly a wealth of
technical information either.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 5:44:24 PM

You can also check by going to start/all programs/accessories/system
tools/system information.Look under software environment/system
drivers, signed drivers,or loaded modules for some info.You can also
once in system information,go to tools menu , click Directx diagnostic
tool, and select the input tab on the top of page.Usb device is listed
under input related devices.If that fails, in system information, just
enter " usb" in the search at bottom of page.Hit find next button, it
will scroll to next usb reference in system information.

Randall

On Sun, 29 May 2005 21:06:11 GMT, "Lorin David Schultz"
<Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:

>"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>>
>> You expanded the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" line (click on the
>> [+] icon)? Mine displays 11 lines when expanded.
>
>Yup. When expanded it shows three instances of "Standard USB Host
>Controller" and three instances of "USB Root Hub." No information about
>the chipset at all.
>
>While frustrating, it's somewhat comforting to know that at least I
>*was* looking in the right place, and am not yet a COMPLETE idiot. I'm
>still definitely a "high percentage" idiot, but I haven't yet completed
>my studies...
>

>> If that is all it says, then I agree, useless. What computer is it?
>> There might be more info available from whomever made the
>> mother board, etc.
>
>Sony Vaio (PCG-GRV550). Their web site is not exactly a wealth of
>technical information either.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2005 11:25:55 AM

does it help if you pull down "view" in the top of the device manager?
show hidden devices? view by connection? the tech folks at Tascam said
the major difference in USB implimentation at the chip level was
optical or something else, with optical being better. buy your usb
soundcard from someone who will take it back or better yet take your
laptop to the store and test it. (I did this. they gave up after an
hour of not being able to install an m-audio thing. Then sp1 for xp
came out and most of these problems went away. good luck to you.

<Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:

>"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>>
>> You expanded the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" line (click on the
>> [+] icon)? Mine displays 11 lines when expanded.
>
>Yup. When expanded it shows three instances of "Standard USB Host
>Controller" and three instances of "USB Root Hub." No information about
>the chipset at all.
>
>While frustrating, it's somewhat comforting to know that at least I
>*was* looking in the right place, and am not yet a COMPLETE idiot. I'm
>still definitely a "high percentage" idiot, but I haven't yet completed
>my studies...
>

>> If that is all it says, then I agree, useless. What computer is it?
>> There might be more info available from whomever made the
>> mother board, etc.
>
>Sony Vaio (PCG-GRV550). Their web site is not exactly a wealth of
>technical information either.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2005 2:51:04 PM

Thank you very much to all four of you guys for your help. I've been
through every conceivable window on this machine, and have come to the
conclusion that Windows just plain doesn't know which chipset it's using
for USB. I'm just not going to worry about it anymore.

It was generous of you to make time to help. I appreciate it!

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2005 4:31:11 PM

> Yup. When expanded it shows three instances of "Standard USB Host
> Controller" and three instances of "USB Root Hub." No information about
> the chipset at all.

Google for a little utility called USBVIEW.EXE. This used to come with Win
98, but it works with all flavors of Windows. Run it, and check both the
options under Options. Then refresh the display with F5. Select the host
controller in the left pane. In the right pane, I've got an Intel
82801BA/BAM controller. My Dell laptop has an Intel 82802 DB/DBM.

This is a pretty hand tool for troubleshooting USB stuff.

-John O
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2005 7:44:44 PM

In article <jOYme.310$CG4.30@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com> johno@!noSPAM!heathkit.com writes:

> Google for a little utility called USBVIEW.EXE. This used to come with Win
> 98, but it works with all flavors of Windows.

Acutally, it used to come with the Win98 Resource Kit, not the regular
version of Windows. My first Google search for the program came up
with a page of listings like:

USBView and other Linux USB stuff
A download for Linux users that displays the topography of the
attached USB device.
www.kroah.com/linux-usb/ - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

A Linux program is of little use to a Windows user. However, a more
specific search came up with:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities/usbview.zip

This gave me essentially the same information as the Windows Device
Manager, with the added bonus of telling me what device is actually
connected. The detailed pane gives me more information than I can use,
or interpret.

Perhaps this will be useful to Loren if the reason why he's not seeing
any info on the USB chip is because of how it's presented to the
Device Manager. Or maybe it will just show up the same way under
USBVIEW. Either way, it doesn't seem that either downloading or
running the program is harmful, so it might be worth a shot.

a b D Laptop
June 1, 2005 1:21:30 AM

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> Perhaps this will be useful to Loren if the reason why he's not
> seeing any info on the USB chip is because of how it's presented to
> the Device Manager. Or maybe it will just show up the same way under
> USBVIEW. Either way, it doesn't seem that either downloading or
> running the program is harmful, so it might be worth a shot.

First, thank you all for the leads and suggestions.

Mike wins a Kewpie (sp?) doll for his keen intuition -- USBView shows
the controllers the same way Device Manager does. "Standard Universal
PCI to USB Controller" or something. No mention of a chipset.

Windows just plain doesn't know what chipset is being used. I guess it
doesn't care.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2005 1:21:31 AM

In article <uz4ne.25895$wr.2248@clgrps12> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> Mike wins a Kewpie (sp?) doll for his keen intuition -- USBView shows
> the controllers the same way Device Manager does. "Standard Universal
> PCI to USB Controller" or something. No mention of a chipset.

Well, all either of them can do is read the information that the chip
makes available. Maybe you have a USB controller chip that wants to
remain anonymous. This means you can't verify that it's one that will
work, but you can't verify that it's one that won't work, either,
until you try it. (I forgot where we were in the process here) If it
doesn't work and you don't know that it's a compatible chip, it's not
unreasonable to conclude that it's an incompatible chip.

> Windows just plain doesn't know what chipset is being used. I guess it
> doesn't care.

But maybe your USB device does.

a b D Laptop
June 1, 2005 4:40:37 PM

> > Google for a little utility called USBVIEW.EXE. This used to come with
Win
> > 98, but it works with all flavors of Windows.

> Acutally, it used to come with the Win98 Resource Kit, not the regular
> version of Windows.

It's on the original Win 98 CD, at \tools\reskit\diagnose\, but was left off
the 98SE CDs. Since then it has been widely available on the 'net and in
certain Resource Kits.

> This gave me essentially the same information as the Windows Device
> Manager, with the added bonus of telling me what device is actually
> connected. The detailed pane gives me more information than I can use,
> or interpret.

Yeah, there's a bunch of junk there. The 'max power' field is about the only
useful detail...if something like "100Ma" is a useful number. :-) Once the
root hub detects a certain total max power, it won't accept any more
devices. That number used to be 500 mA with USB 1 ports, but I don't know
the max for USB 2.

-John O
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 2, 2005 8:32:00 PM

Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

>> Windows just plain doesn't know what chipset is being used.
>> I guess it doesn't care.

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> But maybe your USB device does.

Which brings us back to where we started. You recommended the Edirol
UA-D1 as a possible route to S/PDIF out of my laptop. I noticed the
warnings about "compatible chipsets" on their web site and went looking
for which one my machine uses. Despite help from you guys, that could
not be determined. I'm now down to buying from a source that accepts
returns if it doesn't work.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 2, 2005 11:04:36 PM

In article <4wGne.29028$on1.22341@clgrps13> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> Which brings us back to where we started. You recommended the Edirol
> UA-D1 as a possible route to S/PDIF out of my laptop. I noticed the
> warnings about "compatible chipsets" on their web site and went looking
> for which one my machine uses. Despite help from you guys, that could
> not be determined. I'm now down to buying from a source that accepts
> returns if it doesn't work.

That's what you should have done in the first place after you made a
reasonable attempt at determining what chipset you had. When I went
shopping for a laptop computer a few years back, I took the Edirol
list along with me to a couple of computer stores and checked out the
models on display using the Windows Device Manager. I attracted the
attention of a salesman only once, who had never seen that utility.

I found a couple that had chipsets that weren't on Edirol's list, most
that had chipsets that were on the list, and I believe one that wasn't
identified.

I ended up buying a Dell laptop sight unseen, but based on the fact
that the chipset in my Dell desktop was on the Edirol list. Turned out
that the same chipset was in the laptop so it worked out OK. But I
never bought an Edirol interface anyway. Got a Digigram VX Pocket
PCMCIA card instead. Works good.

a b D Laptop
June 3, 2005 9:16:22 AM

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> That's what you should have done in the first place after you made a
> reasonable attempt at determining what chipset you had.

Hey, did I offend you somehow? That sounded kinda paternally preachy.

You've been following the thread -- you know that I tried on my own, and
when I wasn't successful I asked you guys if there was anything I might
have missed. When it was clear the answer was "no," (which was evident
pretty quickly) I dismissed the notion of saving 40% or so by buying
online.

So which step was superfluous?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2005 2:27:11 PM

In article <GIRne.30826$on1.25211@clgrps13> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
> >
> > That's what you should have done in the first place after you made a
> > reasonable attempt at determining what chipset you had.

> Hey, did I offend you somehow? That sounded kinda paternally preachy.

My, you're touchy lately. But, yes, I do preach not agonizing over
a hard-to-find solution when there are fairly simple alternatives.
Digging it never hurts if you have plenty of time, or if the
alternatives aren't simple. You made a reasonable effort at
determining what's in your computer and it didn't work.

> You've been following the thread -- you know that I tried on my own, and
> when I wasn't successful I asked you guys if there was anything I might
> have missed. When it was clear the answer was "no," (which was evident
> pretty quickly) I dismissed the notion of saving 40% or so by buying
> online.

You can't return something that you buy on line? Or did you find a
mystery seller who was offering you a deal at 40% off what you'd pay
from an on-line dealer who'd take a return? Hey, it's your money, so
you should spend it however you feel most comfortable.

a b D Laptop
June 4, 2005 3:05:20 AM

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> My, you're touchy lately.

Sorry, I thought you were wagging your finger at me. I'd even be okay
with that, except that I thought *in this case* my course was prudent
and the timing of actions/decisions was appropriate. I think I *did*
follow what you would consider a reasonable discovery and
decision-making timeline. That's why I was surprised by your remark
about what I "should have done in the first place."

> You can't return something that you buy on line?

Yeah, I can, but by the time you factor in shipping both ways it's not
much cheaper than just buying off the shelf. Add the hassle involved
with shipping it back rather than just dropping in to the MI-Megastore
down the street and it's not worth it.

So, if it works, buying online would be easier and cheaper. If it
doesn't, the local MI-Mart is better. Given the number of times I've
been bitten by "should work but doesn't," combined with the unknown
variable in this particular situation, I'm gonna pay a little more for
risk protection! <g>

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2005 11:10:50 AM

In article <Qm5oe.35905$9A2.29496@edtnps89> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> So, if it works, buying online would be easier and cheaper. If it
> doesn't, the local MI-Mart is better. Given the number of times I've
> been bitten by "should work but doesn't," combined with the unknown
> variable in this particular situation, I'm gonna pay a little more for
> risk protection! <g>

Me too. When dealing with computers, I always assume that it won't
work, or at least it won't be exactly what I expect. I'm surprised
that Micro Center hasn't banned me from returning stuff by now. I read
that Best Buy was doing that a couple of years ago.

a b D Laptop
June 7, 2005 5:03:00 AM

Lorin David Schultz <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:

>I need a device to add a coax S/PDIF output to a Windows XP laptop. I'm
>looking for the most stoopid simple, lowest cost alternative available.
>
>It's gotta be coax -- the mating device has no optical connection.

VxPocket (PCMCIA card)

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2005 1:27:44 PM

In article <d82ro4$i94$1@reader1.panix.com>,
moskowit@panix.com (Len Moskowitz) wrote:

> Lorin David Schultz <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:
>

> >I need a device to add a coax S/PDIF output to a Windows XP laptop. I'm
> >looking for the most stoopid simple, lowest cost alternative available.
> >
> >It's gotta be coax -- the mating device has no optical connection.
>
> VxPocket (PCMCIA card)

I have used Len's hardware - his D8 7pin to S/PDIF was vital in my early
Taper Geek years. Highly recommended.

Roger

www.bayrecorders.org

www.tealeafgreen.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2005 7:26:41 PM

"Len Moskowitz" <moskowit@panix.com> wrote:

> VxPocket (PCMCIA card)

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like a great card. For this
particular application it's overkill though. All that's required is a
simple coax output, and the budget won't support $500 for that.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
June 8, 2005 4:35:25 AM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 15:26:41 GMT, "Lorin David Schultz"
<Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:

>"Len Moskowitz" <moskowit@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> VxPocket (PCMCIA card)
>

>Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like a great card. For this
>particular application it's overkill though. All that's required is a
>simple coax output, and the budget won't support $500 for that.

You have USB, right? I know the spdif on the US-224, etc. Tascam units
work with Lucid AD/DA, Card D+, LynxOne (shabby looking home made
AES/EBU cable with RCA plug on one end) as well as Tascam Dat
machines. 'bout $200 new I believe. Check for switching noise
throughput from your laptop AC power supply. You can't hear it the
headphones but it's awful in the "main outs". They work great on the
battery though. good luck, s.
!