strange rythmic vibration?

azntwboy

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
Whenever I plug in my 2nd hdd into the case, the case starts to do this strange rythmic vibration, on off on off, with a periodic cycle of 2-3 sec. its low frequency but its strong and i can feel it through the floor. I have an antec slk3700amb case.
also, why does my -12v show up as -12.939v on the usdm software that came with the epox 8rda+?

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I wouldn't worry about the voltage discrepancy, unless it's in the red. I don't know what the tolerance for your components is, but unless you are experiencing instabilities, you are probably alright. Better power supplies will give more accurate, consistent voltages.

As for the vibration, it sounds more like a CD-ROM spinning up than a HDD. What hard drives do you have?

-DOOM

<i>GeneticWeapon says: "Your days posting here have about come to an end... I promise you that by the time I'm done making my point to you, you wont want to be here anymore...you fuucking bitch."</i>

azntwboy

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
no, the cd roms arent spinning. i have 2 x 75gig western digital hdd's. one of them makes strange clicking sounds once in a while and im afraid that it might get corrupted, but i ran the wd diagnostics and they dont show any problems. it seems to be running fine except for the noise.
when i only have one or the other hdd in, theres no vibration, but if i have both in, the hdds start vibrating. i tested them by taking the hdd cage out with the computer running. i felt the hdd's and they were vibrating while the case wasnt (with the cage out). but im not sure if its just one hdd or both that are vibrating. i cant tell.
what should i do?
should i try to get an rma for the hdd that makes strange clicking sounds?
or do i just leave it alone?

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Yeah, if it's clicking, back up your data NOW, and go to western digital's website to do an RMA. If it's been less than three years since you bought it, it's still under warranty, and they will ship you a new drive free. You should pull the drive before you go to their web page, so you can enter the serial number and it will automatically tell you how much longer your warranty is.

-DOOM

<i>GeneticWeapon says: "Your days posting here have about come to an end... I promise you that by the time I'm done making my point to you, you wont want to be here anymore...you fuucking bitch."</i>