newfireorange

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Antec 1200 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Case - 8 Fans
GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA ATX AM3 Motherboard - Sata 6Gb/s USB 3.0
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4ghz Quad-Core
4GB OCZ AMD Black Edition DDR3 RAM 1600mhz
XFX HD Radeon 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 DX11
2X Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 3Gb/s 7200RPM 32MB Cache 500GB HDD's RAID 0
2X Samsung DVD Burner Black SATA Model - Lightscribe
Corsair 850W PSU - Fully Modular Cables
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Sunbeam Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controller Panel
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM 7600

Had a bad batch of RAM so I only have 4GB for now. Other 4GB coming in one week.

Boot time from power button pressed to fully functional desktop is one minute forty seconds.

Boot programs: Kaspersky Internet Security, Malwarebytes, and Catalyst Control Center. That is it ( I have everything else disabled via CCleaner).

I downloaded process monitor and enabled boot logging to see what was taking so long for boot. I can't really read it though since it logged each process every second. Is there a way to collapse say the 300 Catalyst Control Center records into one that shows how long it took? For example, say my anti-virus took 30 seconds to boot, it is recorded every second which equals 30 recordings. I can't upload the file and have you analyze it because it is 420MB.

Solution
It's Kaspersky. Take it from me, I know. When I had Kaspersky, booting and logging in was about the same as what you are reporting.

I switched over to Avast Internet Security and boot time is 30 seconds or less and log in time is less than 5 seconds. So, I'm looking around 35 seconds total.

System response has been SO much better since getting rid of Kaspersky. Applications like web browsers and Outlook 2007 launch almost instantly rather than having to wait over 10 seconds sometimes.

Dump Kaspersky. It's a hog.

If you want, get Avast antivirus for free, Malwarebytes for your malware and PC Tools Firewall Plus. That should give the protection you need for free.

Otherwise, Avast is an excellent choice. I know other's also vouch for...

isamuelson

Distinguished
It's Kaspersky. Take it from me, I know. When I had Kaspersky, booting and logging in was about the same as what you are reporting.

I switched over to Avast Internet Security and boot time is 30 seconds or less and log in time is less than 5 seconds. So, I'm looking around 35 seconds total.

System response has been SO much better since getting rid of Kaspersky. Applications like web browsers and Outlook 2007 launch almost instantly rather than having to wait over 10 seconds sometimes.

Dump Kaspersky. It's a hog.

If you want, get Avast antivirus for free, Malwarebytes for your malware and PC Tools Firewall Plus. That should give the protection you need for free.

Otherwise, Avast is an excellent choice. I know other's also vouch for Avira as well. They also have a free Antivirus, but it has nagware in it. Avast doesn't AND the free antivirus comes with anti-spam in it whereas Avira doesn't.

Solution

newfireorange

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Well just before posting this, I uninstalled AVG which I thought was slowing my computer boot time. I installed Kaspersky and boot time is almost exactly the same. I'll try avast.

BTW, my graphics card just took a dump. I tested it on another computer to make sure and it is broke lols. Waiting on my replacement to come in next week.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Hopefully you find Avast is better for you. I just know that for awhile, I was wondering WHY Windows 7 was so slow on booting up and logging in. When I uninstalled Kaspersky and replaced it with the Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus, I found system response was great. That's when I decided to try and find the best free antivirus out there. I came across Avast eventually and then decided I wanted the full security suite, so I downloaded the 30-day trial and found that system response did NOT decrease using Avast's security suite. In fact, it stayed the same as if I was only running their Antivirus software, so I decided to pay for it.

Well worth it in my honest opinion.