Hafler

Last response: in Home Audio
May 27, 2005 6:29:05 PM

Hello,

I recently contacted a manufacturer of high quality passive nearfield
speakers regarding demo'ing a couple of models. He asked what kind of
amplification I would be using and I said "Hafler." He said he didn't
recommend Haflers, that he preferred Brystons. He said the Hafler's
sounded "veiled." I haven't considered the Haflers to sound veiled, but
I do respect this guy's opinion. I don't currently have any Brystons to
compare it to. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your
time...

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Sacramento, Ca
www.paradisestudios.net

More about : hafler

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 7:03:03 PM

>the Haflers... sound veiled,

this is an common statement on Haflers
the issue is of upgrading many disceet components
that were chosen to provide a good low priced amp
they were available as an assembled or a kit amp
save more money by doing the final assembly yourself

Dave Hafler one of the founders of Dynakit
tube amps valued for the audio quality from the 50's =60's
created Hafler producing SS MOSFET amps.

the earlier Hafler is a easly modified amp
one of the first easier mods is on the power supply
there are many dyi web sites for this

Van Alstine Audio does such a mod on the earlier Haflers
<
http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/amplifier/hafler_...

the Bryston has dual power supplies
and comes with a 20 year warranty
the speaker ia probable tweaked for performance with the Bryston
like the passive PMC's are.
PMC is also rep'ed in the US by bryston
kind of like the early relationship between Linn and Naim
May 27, 2005 10:06:12 PM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 14:29:05 -0700, kbshearer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently contacted a manufacturer of high quality passive nearfield
> speakers regarding demo'ing a couple of models. He asked what kind of
> amplification I would be using and I said "Hafler." He said he didn't
> recommend Haflers, that he preferred Brystons. He said the Hafler's
> sounded "veiled." I haven't considered the Haflers to sound veiled, but
> I do respect this guy's opinion. I don't currently have any Brystons to
> compare it to. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your
> time...
>
> Kirt Shearer
> Paradise Studios
> Sacramento, Ca
> www.paradisestudios.net

IMHO it's hard to beat Bryston for quality, sound and most important
support.
Hafler isn't bad, but they have had some problems a while back with cold
solder joints and defective amps. The Pxxxx series if I remember correctly.

Personally, I would go Bryston but at the same time assuming a typical
load, I doubt you or your friend would hear a difference and even if so,
it would be minor.

Still, go Bryston you will not regret it.
Last time I checked they had a 20 year warranty and from what I heard it's
really a lifetime warranty because they stand behind their products and
don't pull rank. I have a 4B and have never had to use it, the warranty
that is, :)
Just MY opinion.
May 27, 2005 10:09:22 PM

kbshearer@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently contacted a manufacturer of high quality passive nearfield
> speakers regarding demo'ing a couple of models. He asked what kind of
> amplification I would be using and I said "Hafler." He said he didn't
> recommend Haflers, that he preferred Brystons. He said the Hafler's
> sounded "veiled." I haven't considered the Haflers to sound veiled, but
> I do respect this guy's opinion. I don't currently have any Brystons to
> compare it to. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your
> time...

Older, and high end newer Haflers, good. New, cheap, Chinese made
Haflers, bad.

They do share the name, though.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 4:29:41 AM

Most folks couldn't pick 'em out in a blind A/B test-we are dealing with
subjective views here. Besides, most of us have these wonderful acoustic
processors that tend to smooth things out after a few minutes of listening
anyway.

JHH
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 4:31:17 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.I guessing that my Haflers aren't going
to be the dealbreakers this guy led me to believe. I'll still try and
line up a Bryston comparison. Thanks everyone for your time....

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Sacramento, Ca.
www.paradisestudios.net

Paul Stamler wrote:
> Most of the Brystons are DC-coupled, at least the ones I've worked with
> were. If the preceding stage has a DC fault at the output, the Bryston will
> happily weld the woofers it's driving. Been there, done that. Damn good
> amplifiers, but ya gotta watch what you feed 'em.
>
> Peace,
> Paul
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 10:30:41 AM

Most of the Brystons are DC-coupled, at least the ones I've worked with
were. If the preceding stage has a DC fault at the output, the Bryston will
happily weld the woofers it's driving. Been there, done that. Damn good
amplifiers, but ya gotta watch what you feed 'em.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 12:00:27 PM

In article <1117229345.769267.160980@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> kbshearer@sbcglobal.net writes:

> I recently contacted a manufacturer of high quality passive nearfield
> speakers regarding demo'ing a couple of models. He asked what kind of
> amplification I would be using and I said "Hafler." He said he didn't
> recommend Haflers, that he preferred Brystons. He said the Hafler's
> sounded "veiled."

Well, I use a Hafler to power my monitors. My dealer loaned me a
Bryston and I compared them. The Bryston had a little better top end
(I suppose one could say that in comparison the Hafler sounded
"veiled") and a little more solid low end, but not $500 worth better
of either. I stuck with the Hafler.

However, the great circuit designer Kevin Aylward says that all power
amplifiers with the same specs sound the same, so I guess I must have
been imagining things.

May 28, 2005 8:05:33 PM

kbshearer wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your input.I guessing that my Haflers aren't going
> to be the dealbreakers this guy led me to believe. I'll still try and
> line up a Bryston comparison. Thanks everyone for your time...

I'm driving my old JBL4315's with a P3000, and I can get work done.
Monte McGuire posted about some simple mods to the input stage that
improved the P3000, but I'm not likely to bother while it's still under
warranty and by the time it's out of warranty, I might be, too.

--
ha
Anonymous

On 27 May 2005 14:29:05 -0700, kbshearer@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I recently contacted a manufacturer of high quality passive nearfield
>speakers regarding demo'ing a couple of models. He asked what kind of
>amplification I would be using and I said "Hafler." He said he didn't
>recommend Haflers, that he preferred Brystons. He said the Hafler's
>sounded "veiled." I haven't considered the Haflers to sound veiled, but
>I do respect this guy's opinion. I don't currently have any Brystons to
>compare it to. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your
>time...
>
>Kirt Shearer
>Paradise Studios
>Sacramento, Ca
>www.paradisestudios.net

I used to have Brystons. They sounded great! They got stolen. Sob.

Now I have Haflers. They sound almost as good. They cost much less.
They weigh much less. They still get the job done. I don't miss the
Brystons ... too much.

But if you must have the best, and you have lots of money, Bryston is
a good choice.

Mike T.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 2:53:20 AM

<kbshearer@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I recently contacted a manufacturer of high quality passive nearfield
>speakers regarding demo'ing a couple of models. He asked what kind of
>amplification I would be using and I said "Hafler." He said he didn't
>recommend Haflers, that he preferred Brystons. He said the Hafler's
>sounded "veiled." I haven't considered the Haflers to sound veiled, but
>I do respect this guy's opinion. I don't currently have any Brystons to
>compare it to. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your
>time...

Hafler has made hundreds of models of amplifiers in the past 35 years
that they have been making amps.

Probably some of them sound veiled, sure.
--scott

May 29, 2005 10:24:27 PM

The PLACEB-AUDIO Effect in action

Mark
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:49:36 AM

Mark wrote:
> The PLACEB-AUDIO Effect in action
>
> Mark

for me, this comment is bullshit,
spent many years as a musician / engineer listening to the aural
differences !!

go find arny and kevin
they will agree with you, that is thier dogma

I hear better then that !!!

dale
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:36:32 AM

I use a rack full of Hafler DH-500s, modified with oversized capacitors in
the power supplies, and they are used to drive fourteen 18-inch woofers in
my sound system. I have had them since 1984 and have been able to maintain
them all these years. They sounded fine when I built them; they sound much
better after I upgraded the power supplies with $1100 worth of new
capacitors for the power supplies. Basically extended the dynamic headroom
to 3.5 times longer duration, which makes a substantial improvement in the
bass output.
Be warned that the 2SK176 and 2SJ56 MOFETS are no longer in production and
hard to get now.

--
Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.mwcomms.com
-
May 31, 2005 11:51:30 PM

In article <kRRme.11019$M36.10202@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss <mweissX294@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Be warned that the 2SK176 and 2SJ56 MOFETS are no longer in production and
> hard to get now.

I expect to have some NOS extras of these guys sometime next week if
anyone here is in the market. Will sell cheap.

I bought a bunch to repair a DH-220 that is currently in the process of
being brought back to health.

I think many Hafler amps are fine. But I also think that Brystons are
finer. They are also a lot more dough.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island