Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Budget Condenser Microphones

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 28, 2005 12:51:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Aaaaarrgghh!!!

I've been searching the net/groups for absolutely ages trying to find
an answer to the question: What is the 'best' VFM all-round budget
Condenser Microphone? And as you might imagine, I found STACKS of
information, but as is nearly always the case in these matters, the
more I read....the more clueless I became! Every comparison/opinion I
read was either suggesting not bothering with 'budget' microphones AT
ALL, or at best regarded 'budget' as meaning only spending hundreds as
opposed to thousands!

I've been a musician/hobbyist home recording enthusiast for about 25
years now and have used various kit (ranging from a Revox 2-track,
through Tascam 4-tracks, a Sansui 6-track (!), and a Tascam 8-track)
I've also spent time in 'professional' recording studios and over the
years have recorded quite literally 100's of tracks. As you can see by
the kit list these were just 'demo' recordings but listening back to
some of the tracks now...considering the equipment used....the
'recordings' weren't as bad as one might imagine. I think the main
reason for this was the fact that due to limitations regarding
equipment, I had to 'learn' how to get the very best from what I had
available. ('Getting blood from a stone' and 'Necessity is the mother
of invention' ....and all that!)

Now to the point of my post (finally!). I've recently acquired a Zoom
MRS 1266 and OMG! I really have had my finger off the pulse! What an
amazing piece of kit! 10 (+) digital tracks plus FX etc for £50 LESS
than I paid for my Tascam 244 20 years ago!! (God I feel old!!)
However, what it has done is made me realise that my trusty Shure SM58
(Yes I know, a dynamic 'stage' mic NOT meant for recording!) just ain't
cutting it anymore with regards to the clarity of recording I can now
achieve. Nearly everything I've read has convinced me that even a cheap
condenser microphone will out-perform my SM58...so I'm gonna get one!

Now I understand that to a large extent you 'gets what you pays for'
but I found a dozen Condenser Mics each costing £50 (ish) or less (inc
VAT and P&P). I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction
of one that would suffice my needs: An all round microphone for
recording fairly loud rock vocals and also capable of acceptable
results miking up my EKO 12 string.

The list:

Session Master SC900 £34 inc
Behringer C1 £36 inc
Superlux ECO-H6A £40 inc
Samson Q2 £42 inc
Samson C01 £44 inc
Session Master SC300 £45 inc
Hitec Audio Fat One £50 inc
Superlux CM-H8A £54 inc
Samson C03 £54 inc
Behringer B5 £55 inc
MXL MCA-SP2 £55 inc
RV6 Budget £55 inc

I know £50 won't buy me a mic that sounds like a U87, but I figured
there just might be a little gem amongst that list that will do a job
for me.

Any advice (or alternatives!) will be gratefully received.

Sorry about the rambling!

:) 
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:38:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi,

Browsing the web for ratings (google for "micname rating stars") helped
me putting together a rough list (not unlike the one you posted).
Yesterday I got my own budget condenser. I visited the shop and asked
if I could listen to a few different ones. No problem, they hooked a
few of them up to a preamp, and I could test. I tried a Behringer, a
Rode NT1, a cyan MXL v67, an MXL 2006, and an AT2020 (recommended by
the salesman) and a way-over-budget neumann (for kicks and reference).

The 2006 was the first I tried. Sure enough the sound was clear and
defined enough for my purposes (this was the case, as it turned out,
with all models I tried). It wasn't in stock, the salesman warned, and
they had quite a few of them coming back to store (being a relatively
recent model this is usual, he explained). Second was the AudioTechnica
2020. First thing I noticed on the headphones was that I could hear
quite clearly the sound of a piano playing a bit further away, which
wasnt as apparent with the 2006. My voice sounded a bit more 'radio'
warm on this mic but not too colored. The NT1 and v67 sounded a bit
more bright, and with the Behringer I had the feeling it might give
some need for de-essing (like the NT2 I used to use). Sure enough the
neumann sounded great.

I went home with the 2020 (OK, it's not a Neumann but close enough at a
tenth of the price). Actually listening to a few different mics changed
my preference for the better, I believe.

So, go out and listen :) 
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:27:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'd keep using the 58 and get sennheiser 421...
I never did like the sound of a cheap condenser.
My $.02
Steven.

"dazz" <dazz65@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1117295474.515896.183350@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
Aaaaarrgghh!!!

I've been searching the net/groups for absolutely ages trying to find
an answer to the question: What is the 'best' VFM all-round budget
Condenser Microphone? And as you might imagine, I found STACKS of
information, but as is nearly always the case in these matters, the
more I read....the more clueless I became! Every comparison/opinion I
read was either suggesting not bothering with 'budget' microphones AT
ALL, or at best regarded 'budget' as meaning only spending hundreds as
opposed to thousands!

I've been a musician/hobbyist home recording enthusiast for about 25
years now and have used various kit (ranging from a Revox 2-track,
through Tascam 4-tracks, a Sansui 6-track (!), and a Tascam 8-track)
I've also spent time in 'professional' recording studios and over the
years have recorded quite literally 100's of tracks. As you can see by
the kit list these were just 'demo' recordings but listening back to
some of the tracks now...considering the equipment used....the
'recordings' weren't as bad as one might imagine. I think the main
reason for this was the fact that due to limitations regarding
equipment, I had to 'learn' how to get the very best from what I had
available. ('Getting blood from a stone' and 'Necessity is the mother
of invention' ....and all that!)

Now to the point of my post (finally!). I've recently acquired a Zoom
MRS 1266 and OMG! I really have had my finger off the pulse! What an
amazing piece of kit! 10 (+) digital tracks plus FX etc for £50 LESS
than I paid for my Tascam 244 20 years ago!! (God I feel old!!)
However, what it has done is made me realise that my trusty Shure SM58
(Yes I know, a dynamic 'stage' mic NOT meant for recording!) just ain't
cutting it anymore with regards to the clarity of recording I can now
achieve. Nearly everything I've read has convinced me that even a cheap
condenser microphone will out-perform my SM58...so I'm gonna get one!

Now I understand that to a large extent you 'gets what you pays for'
but I found a dozen Condenser Mics each costing £50 (ish) or less (inc
VAT and P&P). I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction
of one that would suffice my needs: An all round microphone for
recording fairly loud rock vocals and also capable of acceptable
results miking up my EKO 12 string.

The list:

Session Master SC900 £34 inc
Behringer C1 £36 inc
Superlux ECO-H6A £40 inc
Samson Q2 £42 inc
Samson C01 £44 inc
Session Master SC300 £45 inc
Hitec Audio Fat One £50 inc
Superlux CM-H8A £54 inc
Samson C03 £54 inc
Behringer B5 £55 inc
MXL MCA-SP2 £55 inc
RV6 Budget £55 inc

I know £50 won't buy me a mic that sounds like a U87, but I figured
there just might be a little gem amongst that list that will do a job
for me.

Any advice (or alternatives!) will be gratefully received.

Sorry about the rambling!

:) 
Related resources
May 28, 2005 7:48:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Firstly, thanks everyone for your feedback (so far!)

Mike T: I liked the sound (reviews) of both Behringer mics on the list
especially as they are a 'known' brand, however I'd also read in a
couple of threads that Behringer mics weren't manufactured to the same
high standards as they used to be....but we all know that you don't
need to search for very long on the net before you'll find strong
opinions either way! I had to go and find an image of a Marshall
Microphone......just so's I could get rid of the image of a chunky
little black box sitting on top of a mic stand with an oversized
'Marshall' logo stuck on the side! :) 

Kleinebre: I've been noticing the AT 2020 and it was on my original
shortlist, but £70 exc P&P was a little more than I had planned on
spending, (although I wouldn't entirely rule the possibility out!) and
if I'd included all mics £100 and less the list would've been huge and
my choosing the right microphone problem would've probably doubled! Of
course ideally I'd be able to just stroll into a well stocked music
shop and try them for myself, but the nearest 'big' music shop to me is
London, and by the time I'd have included my travelling expenses to and
from I would have doubled my budget anyway!

SSJVCmag: erm...thanks! But the two models I found were between £150
and £200 which is too much for my budget....unless there's a cheaper
model that I didn't find?

J.P.Morris: Nice to hear someone else mentioning once being on a
'shoestring' budget....I was beginning to feel like a bit of a pauper
even discussing 'cheap' mics! :)  I have also been keeping a sharp eye
on eBay for mics, but recently all the ones I watch are selling for not
much less than new ones. The B1 internal suspension issue wouldn't be a
problem for me as it would live in the stand. And fortunately the Zoom
MRS 1266 has phantom powering so that wouldn't be a problem either.

Mike Rivers: I don't expect to find a solid consensus....just wanted
some rough pointers from the collected wisdom within this group at this
time. (And it's been great! Thanks again all!) I'm a computer engineer
by trade, and frequently use the 'moving target' statement myself when
asked 'What's the best upgrade for my computer?' but I'll usually end
up being asked for MY personal recommendation, at which time I draw
upon my expertise & experience and recommend something....it's up to
them whether they take my advice or not. And anyway, I can do sloppy
work regargless of the quality of equipment I'm using! :)  You're right
about me being 'thrilled' with the step up to the Zoom from the Tascam
and the SM58 does record for me better than it ever has before, however
although the mic I want would be used 'primarily' for rock vocals, I
also have gentle female BV's & as previously mentioned, acoustic
guitars which I've never been able to record to a satisfactory
standard. (Got close once using a mixture of SM58 and a Tandy PZM
boundry mic....but the Tandy was borrowed and I had to give it back!)
Yet another mention for the AT2020 though....I may end up having to
stretch my budget a little bit after all. Oh and I used web
reviews/online music stores to compile the list....although I'm not
suggesting for one minute that you're 'out of touch'...I wouldn't dare!
:) 

Steven Sena: Thx for that Steven....but aren't they about £300? :) 

Again, thanks for all the input so far everyone....much appreciated.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 8:49:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <1117295474.515896.183350@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> dazz65@gmail.com writes:

> I've been searching the net/groups for absolutely ages trying to find
> an answer to the question: What is the 'best' VFM all-round budget
> Condenser Microphone?

VFM?

You're aiming at a moving target. Every couple of months there's a new
one on the market that has some feature that makes it best in its
price class. And then "price class" keeps moving downward. First they
broke the $1,000 barrier, then the $500 barrier, then the $200
barrier, and the last "budget" condenser mics I bought were two for
$99. So how can you expect to find a solid concensus?

> . . . these were just 'demo' recordings but listening back to
> some of the tracks now...considering the equipment used....the
> 'recordings' weren't as bad as one might imagine. I think the main
> reason for this was the fact that due to limitations regarding
> equipment, I had to 'learn' how to get the very best from what I had
> available.

So why not continue thinking along those lines? Having better
equipment doesn't give you the freedom to do sloppy work, it just
makes your best work a little better.

> Now to the point of my post (finally!). I've recently acquired a Zoom
> MRS 1266

> what it has done is made me realise that my trusty Shure SM58
> (Yes I know, a dynamic 'stage' mic NOT meant for recording!) just ain't
> cutting it anymore with regards to the clarity of recording I can now
> achieve.

If you were used to the sound of the SM58 with your old TASCAM
cassette Portastudio, you should be thrilled with it when going into
your Zoom recorder. But perhaps your expectations are much higher
today.

> Nearly everything I've read has convinced me that even a cheap
> condenser microphone will out-perform my SM58...so I'm gonna get one!

I wouldn't be so sure of that. It all depends on the application.

> I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction
> of one that would suffice my needs: An all round microphone for
> recording fairly loud rock vocals and also capable of acceptable
> results miking up my EKO 12 string.
>
> The list:

> Session Master SC900 =A334 inc
> Behringer C1 =A336 inc
> Superlux ECO-H6A =A340 inc
> Samson Q2 =A342 inc
> Samson C01 =A344 inc
> Session Master SC300 =A345 inc
> Hitec Audio Fat One =A350 inc
> Superlux CM-H8A =A354 inc
> Samson C03 =A354 inc
> Behringer B5 =A355 inc
> MXL MCA-SP2 =A355 inc
> RV6 Budget =A355 inc

Recording loud rock vocals is a good job for your SM58, though that
might not be the best mic for recording your guitar. There's been some
enthusiasm here lately for the Audio Technica AT2020 that might be a
good compromise.

I must be out of touch, or you've searched the web for microphones and
prices and that's what you found. I may have heard of the Behringer
and Samson models, but I'm not familar with the models on your list. I
haven't a clue. Frankly I'd recommend that you stick with the better
established brands. I'm not sure how much money you really have in
terms of U$, but I would think that you could find an Audio Technica,
Studio Projects, MXL, or even Oktava in your price range, maybe two.
"Known models" make better selling/trading material than the mics that
are so cheap that nobody sells them and nobody cares about buying them
second hand. If you don't like what you buy, if you buy something
that's "liquid" you can move it without losing very much cash and try
something else. You might want to peruse eBay to see what's selling
and what's not.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:58:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 28 May 2005 08:51:14 -0700, "dazz" <dazz65@gmail.com> wrote:


>The list:
>
>Session Master SC900 £34 inc
>Behringer C1 £36 inc
>Superlux ECO-H6A £40 inc
>Samson Q2 £42 inc
>Samson C01 £44 inc
>Session Master SC300 £45 inc
>Hitec Audio Fat One £50 inc
>Superlux CM-H8A £54 inc
>Samson C03 £54 inc
>Behringer B5 £55 inc
>MXL MCA-SP2 £55 inc
>RV6 Budget £55 inc
>
>I know £50 won't buy me a mic that sounds like a U87, but I figured
>there just might be a little gem amongst that list that will do a job
>for me.
>
The ONLY one on your list that I've tried has been the Behringer B5,
and it seemed like a reasonably decent mic, especially at the price. I
used it live for mandolin and for drum overheads.

I think all of those microphones (and dozens more) come out of 3
factories in China. Their biggest problem is inconsistency. I heard a
pair that sounded good, but there is no guarantee that the mic you buy
will sound exactly the same.

In my limited experience, Behringer and Marshall seem to be making a
serious attempt to bring quality control to Chinese microphone
manufacturing. Rode has succeeded, but they do some of the
manufacturing in Australia, and they cost more.

Mike T.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 10:43:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

AKG c535
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 3:00:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"dazz" <dazz65@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1117320513.721796.93360@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

>Mike T: I liked the sound (reviews) of both Behringer mics on the list
>especially as they are a 'known' brand, however I'd also read in a
>couple of threads that Behringer mics weren't manufactured to the same
>high standards as they used to be....

Umm....


--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc
Nashville, TN
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:57:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave Martin wrote:

> "dazz" wrote...

> >Mike T: I liked the sound (reviews) of both Behringer mics on the list
> >especially as they are a 'known' brand, however I'd also read in a
> >couple of threads that Behringer mics weren't manufactured to the same
> >high standards as they used to be....

> Umm....

Grooooovy, now we can collect vintage Behringer mics! Can I trade ya one
for an L47MP's? It'd broaden yer pallet.

--
ha
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 9:59:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <1117320513.721796.93360@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> dazz65@gmail.com writes:

> Mike Rivers: I don't expect to find a solid consensus....just wanted
> some rough pointers from the collected wisdom within this group at this
> time. (And it's been great! Thanks again all!) I'm a computer engineer
> by trade, and frequently use the 'moving target' statement myself when
> asked 'What's the best upgrade for my computer?' but I'll usually end
> up being asked for MY personal recommendation, at which time I draw
> upon my expertise & experience and recommend something....it's up to
> them whether they take my advice or not.

Thing is that there usually aren't 100 possibilities for a computer
upgrade, unless you consider all the combinations. And people often
ask ONE computer expert, not a whole newsgroup full. If you were to
ask what the best mother board for audio applications is around here,
you'd get a dozen opinions, some will tell you to just buy a Mac, and
then there are those who will tell you that you can keep your old
computer and just run Linux.

By the way, can you please tell us how much, in US dollars, without
any fancy symbols, do you have to spend? I'm not sure what units of
currency your budget is in.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 3:19:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mike Rivers wrote:

> By the way, can you please tell us how much, in US dollars, without
> any fancy symbols, do you have to spend? I'm not sure what units of
> currency your budget is in.

Pounds sterling. If you multiply his figures by two, you'll get a
reasonably close approximation in dollars.

> --
> I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
> However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
> lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
> you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
> and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
uA--- nC+ nR---- nH+++ nP++ nI nPT nS nT wM- wC- y a(YEAR - 1976)
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 3:37:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"dazz" <dazz65@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> SSJVCmag: erm...thanks! But the two models I found were between £150
> and £200 which is too much for my budget....unless there's a cheaper
> model that I didn't find?



He recommended the C535... I don't know how you found two models, since
it's just one mic! <g> Are there different versions of it?

Anyway, the only version I know of typically goes for around USD$125 or
so (less than £70) on eBay. The extra 20 quid would be VERY well spent,
as it's a MUCH better and more versatile mic than any of the two or
three on your list I'd ever even heard of.

--
"It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:03:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>
> By the way, can you please tell us how much, in US dollars, without
> any fancy symbols, do you have to spend? I'm not sure what units of
> currency your budget is in.



Please don't use the word "us" in that request. I understood which
currency he's using (GBP), and any reference to US dollars is as
irrelevant to many of "us" as it is to him.

I know that all those years of working for the gummint taught you to
concentrate on a US-centric view, but it's okay for you to colour
outside the borders now that you're retired! <g>

--
"It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:03:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote ...
> Please don't use the word "us" in that request. I understood which
> currency he's using (GBP), and any reference to US dollars is as
> irrelevant to many of "us" as it is to him.

Then use "GBP" or "USD" or whatever. Note that just because
*your* computer displays the Pound Sterling "L" with the hash-
mark glyph doesn't mean that everyone is viewing as you are.
Regardless of what country they are in.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 7:17:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

This is to me a good way to look at this. Most of these different
brands DO come out of the same factory in China! Thus the key is to
know a bit about these mics. I've got a bunch of them.

Fact 1. Look for sale prices on "standard" Chinese mics. I've found
these as cheap as 3 for $100 US. These are the usual models with the 6
micron diaprhagm. Try to pick the ones without the transformer. They
essentiallly use the Scott Dorsey mod already built in. Not super mics
but cheap enough you can buy a bunch and don't have to baby them.

Fact 2. Get a pair of "good" Chinese mics. These are the ones with the
3 micron diaphragm. VERY smooth and nice. But I've never seen them at
sale prices. You'll have to fork out more for these but good for your
most critical sounds. Example MXL 2003.

Fact 3. Get some of the Behringer ECM 8000 electret mics. They are
omnis so that's a limitation, but are dirt cheap and killer for certain
applications. Great to try for acoustic guitar etc. Ultra flat wide
range response. Recently had a nice rebate offer on these.

Fact 4. Also consider a pair of medium diameter Condensers such as the
Marshall MXL 600 or the like. Very popular for drum overheads. Work
well for many things. I've got some Samson mics I picked up on sale
for a song ( I think they were like $29 each) which are basically those
modules in a large plastic case. Sound great (for the cash).

Fact 5. Get your feet on the ground. Never forget that the folks
around here like many musicians, value tiny difference in performance
WAY out of proportion to the cost. Does an $8000 Alembic bass sound
THAT much better than a $150 used Squire bass? Fie. Differences while
real would never be noticed by usual clowns in your audience. Same
goes for Neumann mics. Yes they really ARE better, but NOT in
proportion to the cash difference. It takes very little effort on your
part to rein yourself in to the point where your cheapo mics are giving
you all you need and just plain forget about doing that last one
percent of things where you really do need the top end gear. You'll be
amazed at how much a little technique and skill can get out of these
cheapo mics. They are indeed great bargains because they are copies of
some of the best designs of the past. Yeah, some are better than
others, but if you get some lemons, sell them and move on. I've said
this before and I'll say it again: These modern cheapo copies are
really quite good overall. They are gear that years ago I would have
killed to get my hands on at these prices! You should have seen what
cheapo mics USED to sound like!!!!!

Benj
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:23:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <_bime.21760$on1.14811@clgrps13> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> Please don't use the word "us" in that request. I understood which
> currency he's using (GBP), and any reference to US dollars is as
> irrelevant to many of "us" as it is to him.

It's quite relevant to those of us in the US (where I suspect the
majority of the respondents live), and it's an easily understood
standard of currency. I had no clue that he was talking about pounds
sterling. I saw the letter A and an equal sign preceding a number. I
was sure it wasn't dollars.



--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:29:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Although not on your list, the Behringer B-1 is a great-sounding mic for a
ridiculously-low price. If the other Behringer mics are of similar quality,
you can't go wrong.


--
Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.mwcomms.com
-
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:18:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

dazz wrote:
>
> Kleinebre: I've been noticing the AT 2020 and it was on my original
> shortlist, but £70 exc P&P was a little more than I had planned on
> spending, (although I wouldn't entirely rule the possibility out!)

Buy the Audio Technica. It's got far better QC than any of the Chinese
mics I've seen, their service is absolutely top notch, and it might
actually have a resale value when you outgrow it.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:24:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>
> It's quite relevant to those of us in the US (where I suspect the
> majority of the respondents live), and it's an easily understood
> standard of currency.


"Standard of currency?" Um, okay. Some might argue that Euros and UK
Pounds are pretty "standard" measures, but I guess the "minority" of us
in the rest of the world can "Americanize" our references to accommodate
our more parochial neighbours.

--
"It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:24:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <CPXme.26063$on1.15315@clgrps13> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> "Standard of currency?" Um, okay. Some might argue that Euros and UK
> Pounds are pretty "standard" measures, but I guess the "minority" of us
> in the rest of the world can "Americanize" our references to accommodate
> our more parochial neighbours.

Maybe I should have said "standards of digital text representation."
If it was clear (to me) that he was asking about price in British
pounds, I could have dealt with that, if I cared (whic I don't). But
since I didn't have a clue based on what I saw when I read his
message, I thought I'd point out that I had no idea of what his budget
is, and that maybe others who might have been helpful didn't, either.

So how many dollars does he have to spend? Enough to buy a KM84 and a
U87? Or enough to buy an MXL991 and AT2020? Or only one of the above?
Or none of the above?





--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
May 31, 2005 9:18:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Just to clear up a couple of things:

Dave Martin/Hank Alrich: I don't get it!! If the 'joke' is that
Behringer mics ARE still manufactured to the same high standards as
they've always been then I wish you'd just have said so. I was just
repeating what I'd read on the Newsgroups and mentioned it in the hope
that someone would maybe help clarify the matter for me as I CLEARLY
haven't got a clue! If that wasn't the 'joke' then sorry....I REALLY
don't get it! :) 

Mike Rivers: Sorry for not clarifying the unit of currency I was using.

With regards to the C535: My apologies again. I did a quick search for
'C535' and found a site with 3 x listings = AKG C535 EB, AKG C535 WL 1
Capsule and the AKG C535WL-1 for 200, 170 & 145 (GB Pounds!) ...I
realised 'they' were out of my price range so didn't bother reading
further.

Okay - thanks everyone for your feedback. On the whole very helpful and
informative, I appreciate all your time and effort in this matter. It
has been a difficult decision. I nearly went for a Behringer but with
the help of this thread (both public & through private emails!) I
decide to stretch my budget a bit and placed an order for an Audio
Technica AT 2020. ( http://www.dv247.com/invt/25509 ) which including
VAT and P&P is costing me 79.99 GBP (145.34 USD).

Thanks again everyone for all your help and advice.

dazz
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:37:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

dazz <dazz65@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Dave Martin/Hank Alrich: I don't get it!! If the 'joke' is that
>Behringer mics ARE still manufactured to the same high standards as
>they've always been then I wish you'd just have said so. I was just
>repeating what I'd read on the Newsgroups and mentioned it in the hope
>that someone would maybe help clarify the matter for me as I CLEARLY
>haven't got a clue! If that wasn't the 'joke' then sorry....I REALLY
>don't get it! :) 

Behringer... well, they aren't exactly a name that people associate
with high quality. When people ask me about quality mikes, I might
think about Neumann, or B&K, or Josephson or Sennheiser. Somehow
Behringer comes to mind as something built for a slightly less demanding
market.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:16:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

MCA SP-1. $50. Flat to 7k with a shelf lift of 3 db to 20 k.
Transformerless output. No center ring capsule with large peaks. Great
value, good for acoustic guitar, vocals, etc.
www.mcamics.com
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 5:33:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com wrote:
> MCA SP-1. $50. Flat to 7k with a shelf lift of 3 db to 20 k.
> Transformerless output. No center ring capsule with large peaks. Great
> value, good for acoustic guitar, vocals, etc.

It's sorta unusual in having a 3/4" diameter capsule which
(obviously) should give it off axis sensitivity
characteristics right between the common small and large
diameter capsules.

I've never seen a self noise spec for this thing either but
that too could be a nice compromise between the inherent
minima of the large and small diameters.


Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no
simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:59:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Jim Williams wrote:

> MCA SP-1. $50. Flat to 7k with a shelf lift of 3 db to 20 k.
> Transformerless output. No center ring capsule with large peaks. Great
> value, good for acoustic guitar, vocals, etc.
> www.mcamics.com
> Jim Williams
> Audio Upgrades

Plus, it's the only mic in the world with a "200-Watt impedance." LOL!

Jeff Jasper
http://www.jeffjasper.com
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:59:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> Jim Williams wrote:
>
>> MCA SP-1. $50. Flat to 7k with a shelf lift of 3 db to 20 k.
>> Transformerless output. No center ring capsule with large peaks. Great
>> value, good for acoustic guitar, vocals, etc.
>> www.mcamics.com
>> Jim Williams
>> Audio Upgrades
>
When Jim first mentioned this mic a year or so ago, they were on sale I
forget where at $39. I thought that it would be worth it just to satisfy my
curiosity. I record mostly VO these days, myself and a few others, both
male and female, that I hire regularly. So, I put the SP-1 up against an
SM7, a MKH416P-48, a U-87, and an early Sennheiser 421. The SP-1 was never
the first choice on the voices I tried it on but it was not bad at all, and
particularly good with a somewhat strident female voice. With a touch of EQ
it was really very nice on both male and female voices. I've got my $39
worth for sure. And, I don't worry about it, when my grand daughter needs
to record something at school.

Steve King
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:48:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

dazz wrote:
>
> I don't get it!! If the 'joke' is that
> Behringer mics ARE still manufactured to the same high standards as
> they've always been then I wish you'd just have said so. I was just
> repeating what I'd read on the Newsgroups and mentioned it in the hope
> that someone would maybe help clarify the matter for me as I CLEARLY
> haven't got a clue! If that wasn't the 'joke' then sorry....I REALLY
> don't get it! :) 

When most of us hear the phrase "still manufactured to the same high
standards" we usually think of handmade products with a 30 year history
made by companies having a 50+ year history.




> I decided to stretch my budget a bit and placed an order for an Audio
> Technica AT 2020. ( http://www.dv247.com/invt/25509 ) which including
> VAT and P&P is costing me 79.99 GBP (145.34 USD).

Let us know how it works out...
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:51:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote ...
> When most of us hear the phrase "still manufactured to the same high
> standards" we usually think of handmade products with a 30 year
> history made by companies having a 50+ year history.

And the words "high standards" don't necessarily always
evoke the name "Behringer" either. :-)
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:35:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:16:38 -0400, jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com wrote
(in article <1117635398.176504.119970@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>):

> MCA SP-1. $50. Flat to 7k with a shelf lift of 3 db to 20 k.
> Transformerless output. No center ring capsule with large peaks. Great
> value, good for acoustic guitar, vocals, etc.
> www.mcamics.com
> Jim Williams
> Audio Upgrades
>

Budget mics make great budget recordings!

Regards,

Ty Ford



-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:35:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Bob Cain wrote:
> jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com wrote:
> > MCA SP-1. $50. Flat to 7k with a shelf lift of 3 db to 20 k.
> > Transformerless output. No center ring capsule with large peaks. Great
> > value, good for acoustic guitar, vocals, etc.
>
> It's sorta unusual in having a 3/4" diameter capsule which
> (obviously) should give it off axis sensitivity
> characteristics right between the common small and large
> diameter capsules.
>
> I've never seen a self noise spec for this thing either but
> that too could be a nice compromise between the inherent
> minima of the large and small diameters.
>
>
> Bob
> --
>
> "Things should be described as simply as possible, but no
> simpler."
>
> A. Einstein

Self noise can be lowered below 10 dba by the use of lower noise
transistors and upping the polarization voltage. This capsule is
hypercardioid. Since there is no center screw like the Neumanns, low
end extends to 20 hz, but coupling caps must be enlarged to do this.

BTW, Ty, did you ever get a chance to hear one of these mics? Like you
didn't bother to listen to the High Speed Mic preamp I sent for
evaluation???

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 6:41:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com wrote:

> Self noise can be lowered below 10 dba by the use of lower noise
> transistors and upping the polarization voltage.

Interesting. I'd have thought that it would be an electret.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no
simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:18:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <3g708bFavee8U1@individual.net>,
Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:

> dazz wrote:
> >
> > I don't get it!! If the 'joke' is that
> > Behringer mics ARE still manufactured to the same high standards as
> > they've always been then I wish you'd just have said so. I was just
> > repeating what I'd read on the Newsgroups and mentioned it in the hope
> > that someone would maybe help clarify the matter for me as I CLEARLY
> > haven't got a clue! If that wasn't the 'joke' then sorry....I REALLY
> > don't get it! :) 
>
> When most of us hear the phrase "still manufactured to the same high
> standards" we usually think of handmade products with a 30 year history
> made by companies having a 50+ year history.
>
>
>
>
> > I decided to stretch my budget a bit and placed an order for an Audio
> > Technica AT 2020. ( http://www.dv247.com/invt/25509 ) which including
> > VAT and P&P is costing me 79.99 GBP (145.34 USD).
>
> Let us know how it works out...

The Marshall MXL603s condensers are also great - I've used them in
the studio and for live performance, and they sound every bit as good as
mics. costing 3 times as much. Good luck!

Roger

www.bayrecorders.org

www.tealeafgreen.com
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:17:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I have a couple of Behringer B-2 pros, and I love them. The pattern switch
made the difference for me: Omni, cartiod, and figure-8. I tested them
against the Rodes, and once I tickled the eq about 2 DB ad 1500 K, I
couldn't tel the difference; at about half the price.


JAK
August 17, 2005 9:39:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I've got 1- Behringer B-2 Pro (LD) and 2 - B-5's (SD). Very bright,
airy, live sound from both models.

They sound so much better than the SM57s I had on everything when I
first started my home studio.

Good Luck,

Max
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:12:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"John Krieger" <john.krieger@att.net> wrote in message
news:3fwMe.620348$cg1.228843@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I have a couple of Behringer B-2 pros, and I love them. The pattern switch
> made the difference for me: Omni, cartiod, and figure-8. I tested them
> against the Rodes, and once I tickled the eq about 2 DB ad 1500 K, I
> couldn't tel the difference; at about half the price.
>
>
> JAK


I have the B-1s and have been recording orchestral music, nature sounds, and
voiceovers with them and the first thing the strikes you is the complete
absense of hiss or other electronic noise.
The frequency response goes way beyond the quoted specs (I've made
recordings of infrasonic sources and ultrasonic sources, including the
supersonic wave filter in my Olympus E300 dSLR camera) and an FFT analysis
of the recordings clearly shows useful sound energy outside the 20-20KHz
range was captured.
Back in '67, when the French were experimenting with soundwaves that kill,
they built microphones up to 10" in diameter, thinking that this is what was
needed to detect the 3-1/2Hz and 7Hz infrasonic waves that they were
attempting to produce and measure.
The B-1s recorded what the FFT later told me was 4Hz, as I made a recording
of me silently opening and closing a closet door. (I grew curious about the
meter deflection on the MotU 896 whenever I opened the closet here in the
studio and a live mic was connected.)
On the high end, I have recorded the harmonics of keys jangling up to 45KHz.
Pretty amazing.
But frequency isn't the whole picture. They sound smooth as silk, natural
and very detailed.
I made a recording of cicadas and on a good pair of headphones or a very
high end pair of loudspeakers, the sound is non-harsh, and there is a
palpable sense of 'being there'. Earlier mics I've used blurred the details
into a mish-mash of high pitched noises.
Musically, they sound fantastic. The conductor of the orchestra I recently
recorded never comments about technical matters, but this time, he actually
volunteered the statement, "The audio is great."
I was pondering getting a pair of B-2s so that I could play with figure of
8s setups and also use them for organ recording in a cathedral this fall.


--
Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.mwcomms.com
-
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:10:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:39:00 -0400, max wrote
(in article <1124282340.437742.324890@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> I've got 1- Behringer B-2 Pro (LD) and 2 - B-5's (SD). Very bright,
> airy, live sound from both models.
>
> They sound so much better than the SM57s I had on everything when I
> first started my home studio.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Max
>

Bright isn't necessarily better.

Beware of the 'Oh Wow' factor.

1. Oh Wow! These new condenser mics sound great.
2. Oh Wow! Hmm, they make everything I record sound so shiny.
3. Oh Wow! Ya know, after listening for a few minutes, I don't want to listen
to these tracks because they are edgy and fatiguing.
4. Oh Wow! I guess I'll go back to what I was using.
5. Oh Wow! Wanna by some really nice used mics?

Regards,

Ty Ford



-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
August 18, 2005 2:30:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> 1. Oh Wow! These new condenser mics sound great.
> 2. Oh Wow! Hmm, they make everything I record sound so shiny.
> 3. Oh Wow! Ya know, after listening for a few minutes, I don't want to listen
> to these tracks because they are edgy and fatiguing.
> 4. Oh Wow! I guess I'll go back to what I was using.
> 5. Oh Wow! Wanna by some really nice used mics?

That hasn't been my experience to date and I don't use them on
everything I record. I'm going to post a clip from a demo I recently
recorded on my site (www.rocktillyadrop.com) this weekend and let you
be the judge as to whether or not it fatigues you to listen. I'll post
a follow-up here when it's available.

I have one decent pre-amp (dbx 386) that must help take any edge off
the mic because I'm not hearing that.

max
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:45:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi Fletch,

Yes, an SM57 through a Telefunken V72 suits my voice perfectly. I keep
trying to use my condensers, but they're a little too "sizzly" for my
voice. Of course, I don't have a lot of expensive mics to choose from,
so my choices are limited. But I think I'm better off recording with a
dynamic mic anyway. Maybe some time I'll try an SM7 or something.

Dean
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:51:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

hank alrich wrote:
> Right, as McQ made damn sure the RNP delivers the goods with 57's and
> 58's.

Hmmm. Given the word "budget", what are the best price-performance
preamps to get the most out of cheaper mikes? (Standalone, as part of a
mixer, or as part of a multichannel analog-to-digital box.)
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:22:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

There are a lot of really great sounding budget mics - What I have not
seen are a lot of budget good preamps. I use really cheap mics with
really nice pres and they sound exactly like what I am looking for...
never with a cheap pre though. I'd love to be taught otherwise
though........
August 19, 2005 10:03:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> I absolutely agree with this assessment. Using my "on board" preamps gives > me an okay sound with a
> 57 (the example mic here), but when I put them into my Focusrites, it becomes a different microphone
> altogether.

This is true. I used to use an old StudioMaster board for everything
before I picked up a couple of mic pres and I was associating the
improved sound to better mics (condensers on drum OH and vox, AKG D112
for BD) but my snare is still run through an SM57 into a PreSonus
BlueTube (not exactly a top of the line pre but still a cut above my
board) and it's a noticeable difference. I guess when I upgrade the
PreSonus (which is in my plans for the upcoming year) I'll hear even
more improvement.

I'm sure I'll get some commentary on the D112 but in the price range I
was shopping it was a good value. I understand a lot people prefer the
Shure (is it Beta 52??) for BD so maybe I'll be looking into those in
the future.

max
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:14:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:45:58 -0400, drichard wrote
(in article <1124390758.366321.241780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>):

> Hi Fletch,
>
> Yes, an SM57 through a Telefunken V72 suits my voice perfectly. I keep
> trying to use my condensers, but they're a little too "sizzly" for my
> voice. Of course, I don't have a lot of expensive mics to choose from,
> so my choices are limited. But I think I'm better off recording with a
> dynamic mic anyway. Maybe some time I'll try an SM7 or something.
>
> Dean
>

Try a Schoeps cmc641 or cmc64.

Ty Ford



-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:18:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:22:00 -0400, Danny Taddei wrote
(in article <1124432520.323898.327040@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> There are a lot of really great sounding budget mics - What I have not
> seen are a lot of budget good preamps. I use really cheap mics with
> really nice pres and they sound exactly like what I am looking for...
> never with a cheap pre though. I'd love to be taught otherwise
> though........
>

Well Hartley Peavy knew a few things about that. I have heard recording with
SM58 and an old peavey board that were truly great.

I've been asked on many occasions to write a article or 1000 on which mics
mate better with which preamps. That project is right in line after putting
all of my vinyl on CD. :) 

Regards,

Ty Ford


-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:18:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Ty Ford" <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:58OdnZ2dnZ2ZbBS5nZ2dnXcimN6dnZ2dRVn-052dnZ0@comcast.com...
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:22:00 -0400, Danny Taddei wrote
> (in article <1124432520.323898.327040@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):
>
>> There are a lot of really great sounding budget mics - What I have
>> not
>> seen are a lot of budget good preamps. I use really cheap mics with
>> really nice pres and they sound exactly like what I am looking for...
>> never with a cheap pre though. I'd love to be taught otherwise
>> though........
>>
>
> Well Hartley Peavy knew a few things about that. I have heard
> recording with
> SM58 and an old peavey board that were truly great.
>
> I've been asked on many occasions to write a article or 1000 on which
> mics
> mate better with which preamps. That project is right in line after
> putting
> all of my vinyl on CD. :) 

An experiment like that might start to cast some light on
the two different parts of a microphone: the "front end",
the pickup capsule, impedance conversion circuitry (if
condenser), etc; and the "back end", the line-driving part
of the circuit. Perhaps some mics have well-behaved and
low-impedance "back ends" that aren't as dependent on
the input characteristics of the mic preamp.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 2:26:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Ty Ford" <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:FLWdnVPRWqBUFZneRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
> Bright isn't necessarily better.
>
> Beware of the 'Oh Wow' factor.
>
> 1. Oh Wow! These new condenser mics sound great.
> 2. Oh Wow! Hmm, they make everything I record sound so shiny.
> 3. Oh Wow! Ya know, after listening for a few minutes, I don't want to
> listen
> to these tracks because they are edgy and fatiguing.
> 4. Oh Wow! I guess I'll go back to what I was using.
> 5. Oh Wow! Wanna by some really nice used mics?

I've seen this happen so many times it's not even funny.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 2:26:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 06:26:46 -0400, Ricky Hunt wrote
(in article <GtiNe.286499$xm3.124353@attbi_s21>):

> "Ty Ford" <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:FLWdnVPRWqBUFZneRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
>> Bright isn't necessarily better.
>>
>> Beware of the 'Oh Wow' factor.
>>
>> 1. Oh Wow! These new condenser mics sound great.
>> 2. Oh Wow! Hmm, they make everything I record sound so shiny.
>> 3. Oh Wow! Ya know, after listening for a few minutes, I don't want to
>> listen
>> to these tracks because they are edgy and fatiguing.
>> 4. Oh Wow! I guess I'll go back to what I was using.
>> 5. Oh Wow! Wanna by some really nice used mics?
>
> I've seen this happen so many times it's not even funny.
>
>

I find a way to recycle this warning periodically. A few cycles ago, someone
suggested it be put in the FAQ.

Regards,

Ty Ford



-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:58:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi Ty,

I wish I had access to those Schoeps mics. Right now I don't, but I'll
make note of your suggestions in case the possibility presents itself.

Thanks,

Dean
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:49:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

drichard wrote:
> Hi Fletch,
>
> Yes, an SM57 through a Telefunken V72 suits my voice perfectly. I keep
> trying to use my condensers, but they're a little too "sizzly" for my
> voice. Of course, I don't have a lot of expensive mics to choose from,
> so my choices are limited. But I think I'm better off recording with a
> dynamic mic anyway. Maybe some time I'll try an SM7 or something.
>
> Dean
>

A surprisingly good LDC you might consider, and for a hundred bucks, is the AT 2020. I was very
surprised at how good it sounds.

--fletch
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:58:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

max wrote:
>
> I'm sure I'll get some commentary on the D112 but in the price range I
> was shopping it was a good value. I understand a lot people prefer the
> Shure (is it Beta 52??) for BD so maybe I'll be looking into those in
> the future.
>

I own a D112 and find it just fine, when properly placed and used through a proper preamp.

My friend has the Beta 52 in his live rig and we did a show recently and I had a chance to crank
that baby up in the BD (a monster 24" Yamah World Studio Kit kick, 5 ply maple) and it was sweet. I
couldn't do a side by side, but I would say having a 52 as well as the 112 is not such a bad thing.
You need variety because one mic may not be the "sound" you're looking for in a given song.

I mean, we're talking matching mic pres to mics here, too, right? This goes in tandem with getting
the right mic for the sound you're capturing, whether live or in the studio. So the 52 would work
very well in the studio, I think.

--fletch
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:00:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Ty Ford wrote:
> Well Hartley Peavy knew a few things about that. I have heard recording with
> SM58 and an old peavey board that were truly great.
>

Oh, yeah. I agree. I had an opportunity to work on one of his Mark VIII boards in 1990 just after
they came out. What a quiet console, and very well laid out for an eight buss live rig. It was
really fun.

--fletch
!