FS9 Easter Eggs

I am putting together an online tour in the US. I have
found many interesting things to see. Old Faithful,
Mount Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Memphis Pyramid Stadium,
and may more...what I would like to find out is this,
does anyone have a list of all the major landmarks and
points of interest in FS9?

Thanks.

peter

This is copied and pasted from Flight Sim. I cannot take
credit for all the hard work that must have went into this.
.

Real world - Microsoft's depiction of actual places or
things
· USS Kitty Hawk N37 44.64 W122 36.25 From KFSO (San
Francisco Int'l) fly 288° for 13.4 nm.
The aircraft carrier for your short field landing
pleasure. The runway is 6/24. Don't worry about brakes.
The arresting cables will stop you very quickly. In
reality when landing on a carrier you would apply full
throttle in case you had to go around. If you are the
world's best helicopter pilot you can try flying into the
hangar deck. You can enter from either side of the ship,
just below the flight deck. For those of us who are not
the best helo jockeys, it is possible to slew right
through solid steel to see below the main deck.
· Stonehenge N51 11.13 W1 50.95 From EGDM (Boscombe Down)
fly 303° for 4.3nm.
Look hard. I missed it while right next to it. It is not
as big as it looks on TV.
· Moai S27 9.95 W109 21.27 From SCIP (Mataveri Int'l) fly
76° for 3.6nm.
The heads on Easter Island. You only thought Stonehenge
was hard. To see these guys you gotta be low and slow.
Treetop low (you do not need autogen trees turned on).
They will still be hard to spot with trees turned off.
This is only one of many of these mysterious statues on
this remote speck of land. Here's a couple more: S27 9.39
W109 20.60 and S27 5.80 W109 17.50
· Old Faithful N44 27.37 W110 49.35 From KWYS
(Yellowstone) fly 123° for 18.8nm.
Did I see Yogi behind that rock?
· Uluru (Ayer's Rock) S25 21.01 E131 2.86 From YAYE
(Ayer's Rock) fly 154° for 10.6nm.
Conveniently has it's own airport from which you can see
it.
· Kilauea N19 24.22 W155 17.00 From HI23 (Mountain view
airstrip) fly 218° for 13.1nm.
On most days you'll see the occasional puff of smoke. Set
date for April 1st, 1983 to see how the Hawaiian islands
were formed. Be sure to check it out at night also.
· Balloon N24 41.97 W81 30.94 From 7FA1 (Sugar Loaf
Shores) fly 51° for 4.6nm.
Look at 2100 ft. altitude. I think (not sure) this is
the "Fat Albert" balloon. It's not a weather balloon. It's
tethered to the ground on a 15,000 ft. cable. I have not
seen it move from 2100 ft. This balloon carries radar for
drug enforcement and a TV transmitter sending programming
to Cuba.
· Teotihuacan Pyramid N19 39.66 W98 56.21 From MMOU
(Tizayuca) fly 171° for 12.8nm.
Mexico not Egypt. The "City of the Gods". Is this the
Pyramid of the Sun?
· La Grande Arch de la Defense N48 53.61 E2 14.44 From
LFPG (Velizy AB) fly 19° for 7.4 nm.
This building was just made to fly through. Looks like a
road through it as well. Time your fly through to miss
that odd triangle shaped elevator. The people working here
will probably call the authorities, but don't worry. They
will already be chasing you for taking off from their Air
Base.
· Quickies
More balloons N33 38.59 W112 6.11
Hollywood sign N34 07.62 W118 18.45
Disney World N28 24.94 W81 36.51
Oil rig - Texas N28 29.52 W95 55.15
Oil rig - Alaska N65 12.32 W166 45.48
Space Shuttle at Edwards AFB N34 56.94 W117 53.16
Asahi Beer Hall - Tokyo N35 44.76 E139 46.86
Coney Island working rides - N40 34.37 W73 59.14
(submitted ny Ian)
Niagra Falls - moving boat and working elevator at nearby
tower

Adventures - Scenery deserving a longer flight or
involving challenging flying
· Colorado River tour, Glen Canyon Dam - Grand Canyon -
Hoover Dam
If you like a hands on VFR flight this is the one for you.
No setting the autopilot and being bored on this one. Take
off from KPGA (Page mun) and follow the river, generally
west and south. The first point of interest is Glen Canyon
Dam, just after takeoff. Since Flight Simulator 98 is the
last version I bought, I really liked the Grand Canyon in
FS2004. But I must say I'm very disappointed that
Microsoft did not get this part of the world right. If you
approach Glen Canyon Dam low enough, part of the dam is
invisible. Looks like a fly through opportunity, but it
isn't. You'll crash into the invisible dam. Fly over the
dam higher and you'll see a higher water level and the top
of the dam. Unfortunately this view is also ruined by a
scenery error. Anyway, continue down the Colorado. Along
the way you'll see other scenery misalignments where the
river does not stay in the canyon. You'll have to choose a
direction at a fork in the river several times on this
flight. I'll let you navigate, bring up the map if
necessary. The closer you stay to the river (lower
altitude) the more fun and challenging this trip will be.
Fly the Grand Canyon all the way west. This will take
hours. If your VFR navigation skills are up to snuff you
will come to Lake Mead on the western end. Oh, by the way,
there are some very handy charts that you might like to
print for this flight. Look in \program files\microsoft
games\flight simulator 9\charts\flights\desert adventure.
In the western portion of this flight you'll see some
pretty extreme white water rafting opportunities. Just
more scenery glitches, where the water is on the cliff
faces. End your flight with an overfly of Hoover dam, and
possibly a landing at Las Vegas if your not too tired to
continue. Be sure to check out Vegas at night.
Particularly the volcano and the dancing fountain.
· Top of the world
I put this in the adventure section because it's not the
usual short flight. We're going to the real highest point
on earth. There's only one non-jet in FS2004 suitable for
this trip. When you find it you'll know what my favorite
plane is in this "game". Set up some realistic weather for
this one. At least some restricted visibility and wind. If
you are carrying tourists, you'll probably want to take
off from VNTR (Tumlingtar). Use the 34 rwy and you'll be
pointed pretty much at your target. Just take off and
climb like your life depended on it. It's 42.6 nm from
here. For the non-wimps try VNTR (Lukla) (a real world
dangerous airport). It will be a short field takeoff. The
runway is listed as 7/25 but I found it closer to 240°.
And that's definitely the one to use. It's a grass strip
so go ahead and push back for a little extra distance.
(it's all grass, right?) Depending on how many tourists
you have and how big of a lunch they ate, you may not be
airborne before you run out of runway. That's ok since it
will put you right off a cliff. You should have no problem
if you don't panic and nose up too much. Once safely
airborne turn to 30° and fly for 20.7nm. Welcome to
Everest - N27 59.18 E86 55.54
· Andes Crossing
This is part of one of the historic flights in the "select
a flight" menu. Fly form Mendoza Argentina (SAME) to
Santiago Chile (SCTI) in the Ford Tri-motor. I did not
follow the flight plan in the briefing for this adventure.
I set up SCTI in the GPS for direct to navigation, and
tried to find my own route. I did not make it. Trying to
find my own pass at near stall speed, I
eventually "landed" on a steep hillside. Thought I could
just taxi to the top and continue from there but the tri-
motor was not up to it. Someone please come rescue me.
2nd try - So much easier when I followed the briefing. And
even easier when I threw the passengers out at 10,000
feet! If fact, when I had SCTI at 210° I decided to bypass
SCAN and head direct over the remaining mountains. Had
altitude to spare. Really convenient for a straight in on
rwy 21.
· Lukla revisited
One for the helicopter pilots. Inspired by my helicopter
practice and my new ability to takeoff, fly anywhere I
want, and land, I tried the "Into The Himalayas" flight
from select a flight menu. How long could it take? It's
only 75 miles or so. I crashed on my first attempt just 13
miles from the goal. I blame this on a sudden engine
failure caused by the program taking liberties with my
joystick buttons. On my second try I crashed on the runway
at Lukla. What a place for an airstrip. I guess that
really is the best place they could find. My landings
still need work. I can do it consistently given a large
enough area. I'm a long way from setting down on one of
those oil rigs. This is a really tough flight. Airspeed or
altitude? Decisions, decisions.

Unreal world - let the real fun begin
There are more scenery glitches that I have not posted.
Mostly floating runways, where it appears some elevations
got messed up. Autogen is also responsible for some
interesting sites. I normally fly with autogen off. I just
want to see actual scenery. Autogen causes things to be
placed in some really stupid places. Like trees in the
Antarctic. Trees and buildings appear on some runways and
taxiways. Here's a great example: Duluth Int'l (KDLH) at
the intersection of rwy3 and rwy27. Where's the road?
· Davis (KMKO) Oklahoma
Wow! Someone posted this one in the newsgroup. It
immediately became one of my favorites. What a great place
to practice landings.
· Alert airstrip (CYLT) Nunavut Canada
Use your imagination here, and let me know what you come
up with. Do a quick takeoff and shallow right turn
immediately after rotation. That thing really likes you
eh? Fly rwy heading out a half mile or so. Look behind you
occasionally as you do this. Turn around and do a few
touch and go's here.
· Millwood lake and state park Arkansas N33 48.30 W93
58.85 From 2AR6 (Glenn Winchester) fly 189° for a few
miles. You cant miss it.
Arkansas is now home to the world's only 3 mile high
waterfall, and one hell of a sinkhole. The challenge: Fly
to the bottom........ and back out! I got down easy enough
(with stress damage turned off). Took me over 20 minutes
to circle climb back out in the Cessna
· Rio Amazonas (SESM) Shell Mera Ecuador
Not quite the hole Milwood lake is, but with a big
difference.... there's actually an airport here! Be glad
you don't work in the small office complex near the
runway. Think you got a bad commute? Check out the road
they travel to work! It is possible to takeoff and land
here. I've made the takeoff on rwy 12 with more than one
plane on runway heading all the way. Which planes can you
make it out with? The only landing I've walked away from
so far was on 30 in the Extra.
· 17th of November airstrip (FNBG) Benguela Angola
Before you takeoff have a good look around. Is that beacon
off the right end of the runway floating in mid air?
Switch to spot view. Zoom out a bit. Do a complete circle
around your plane. Take off. About 15 feet above the
runway you will pass through the CIA camo net hiding this
strip. Fly runway heading out a bit. Look behind you.
Hmmmm..... I know I took off from an asphalt strip. Turn
around and land where you think the strip was. Make a slow
shallow approach. Whoa! Can't be a net, they must be using
holograms. BTW there are a few airports named after dates,
some in Spanish. Anyone know what that's all about?
· Base Marambio (SAWB) Antarctica
Crank autogen scenery up here. At first I thought I had
found a really great effect. Looks like snow blowing
across the runway. And trees in Antarctica. I'll let you
find out for yourself what's going on here. Be sure to
circle around and check out the end of this runway really
well from the air as you approach for a landing on rwy6.
· Mcmurdo Station (NZWD) Antarctica
More runway weirdness. The hologram hiding this one is
much better than the one at FNBG. Think the Cessna Caravan
Amphibian is cool? Try this: After takeoff do a 90 deg
right turn and fly out a bit. U-turn and carefully fly
through the wave just under the "top" runway. Submersible
aircraft!!! While your down here, be sure to visit the
other two runways at Mcmurdo. Especially the ice runway.
· Nine hundred foot tidal wave! S73 37.92 W102 39.59
The coordinates are for the northern corner of this
phenomena. It's a monster. Extends to S73 49.69 W102
39.40. That is the southeast corner where it is at it's
highest. You can't fly through this one, but you can crash
into the ocean at an altitude of about 939 feet. The whole
challenge here is planning. Which airport will you use?
Which plane? Hint: the round trip is over 2000 miles.
· The poles
One more adventure down here (or up north) before we head
to warmer weather. You can only get within 30nm of either
pole in this sim. Pick a far north or south airport. Head
directly for the pole. Don't try to use the magnetic
compass. The deviation is way off. Use shift z to see your
coordinates. Just steer so your path is as true north or
south as possible. When you get close you will be curious
to see what's beyond that really strange horizon. If you
hit the "wall" square enough, you will come to an abrupt
stop. I did it in the 747 at the north pole. I had 369
knots indicated and the thing just hovered there. If your
path has too much east/west vector you will skid sideways.
Note: if you use the map to plunk yourself close, do not
exceed 89deg 30min. That's the edge of the world and
beyond "thar be monsters".
· Stockton Lake N37 34.06 W93 38.96 From MO3 (Stockton
mun) fly 121° for 9.7nm.
"Holy scenery, Batman" For a unique takeoff; set up in the
amphibian at 2M5 (Stockton Lake water runway). Taxi to the
edge. Somebody nudge me. Check out the road "crossing"
this thing. And I thought it was inconvenient to have to
drive all the way around the Chesapeake Bay because
Microsoft demolished the bridge.
· Mount Roraima N5 46.65 W60 34.16 From SYKM (Kamarang)
fly 163° for 5.9nm
So far this wins first place for scenery glitches. It's a
60,000 foot peak right next to a 100,000+ foot pit. I
normally like to fly an adventure whenever possible. At
least I get landing experience. I had to slew this one. It
got too narrow to follow at -101450 slewing in the Cessna.
I could squeeze a little further by nosing 90 degrees
down, but it looks to keep going. While I was in the
neighborhood I thought I'd have a look at Angel Falls (the
real highest falls in the world). I regret that it must be
added to the wanted list, couldn't find it.
· The edge of space
There is actually one aircraft which can reach the top of
Mt. Roraima without slewing. I must warn that this does
not always work. I have done it many times on my computer.
One person on the newsgroup told me it didn't work for
him. I have now seen it happen on another computer (my
dad's), so I'm including it here. Try a few times. I guess
it's like weather modeling on a computer. A digit in the
10th decimal place gets iterated a hundred thousand times
and the result is totally different. I've done this from
KSEA and KBWI. I don't think that has anything to do with
it but try one of those. I also don't have any addons
installed in FS2004. Don't know if that would make a
difference. Set yourself up in the Bell Jetranger! Just
apply full throttle and don't touch anything for the rest
of the flight. You should climb smoothly for a bit then
start to oscillate. It will settle down and climb smoothly
a bit more. Then more oscillations. This could happen 2 or
3 times. Eventually the oscillations will become full
rotations. That's when you will take off. Climb rate of
several thousand feet per second! In no time you will be
at 99,999 feet. It's difficult, but you can regain control
once you top out. If you do get control, you'll never hold
altitude. But, you'll get a brief glimpse of a really dark
sky and distant earth.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION, to be continued Please contribute,
Your submissions are needed for further updates.

Other Stuff
· Of the cities in the program with detailed scenery, I
found Tokyo had the most interesting buildings to explore.
· The Aurora is visible in northern latitudes.
· Set the clock for midnight on New Year's Eve and check
out Las Vegas, New York, Washington D.C. and probably
other large cities for fireworks. Anyone tried the 4th of
July?
The wanted list - Things I have looked for but can't find.
Likely not in the program, but I could have some setting
wrong. Some scenery is dependant on a program setting or a
particular time or date. If you've seen any of these
please tell me.
The VLA in New Mexico
Arecibo radio telescope
Great Wall - China
Victoria Falls
Angel Falls
The Itaipu dam
The North Sea protection works - Amsterdam
Barringer Meteor Crater - Arizona FOUND N35 1.46 W111
1.23 - a shallow depression looking nothing like the real
thing. (thanks Ian)
Nazca lines
Monument Valley - Arizona/Utah
Some of the largest cities in the world have not a single
building.
Bridges? We don't need no stinkin' bridges.
A meteor - There is a graphic of a shooting star in the
program. I tried the time and date