MN-700 can't connect base station

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am stuck - the wizard can't complete the base station
installation. I have checked everything, cables, modem,
power, resets, reboot etc..

Not sure what to do to get the software to recognize the
base station.

Please help.

Larry

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Dear Larry,

More info. What's you PC's OS...WinXP, Win2000, Win98?
What adapter are you using? At what point is
installation terminated?

Ken,

Running 98 (virus free), a motorola 4220 Cable modem,
onboard NIC, AMD 1600.

The setup stops when it checks for a live interent
connection and asks me to check cables etc. (I have
swapped out 3 different cables), reset modem, and the 700,
No NAT is running on the modem that I know of, nor is
there a firewall running on my PC.

If I connect the cable from the modem port on the 700 to a
numbered port I can access the internet, but as soon as I
plug it into the modem port, I lose the internet and the
software can't see the base station.

I am using Comcast cable services and they provide my IP
address which the software recognizes as a public IP.

I have also tried downlowning the latest firmware from the
microsoft site for the 700, but it appears to be the same
software that I had.

Any help is much appreciated as I am completly lost as to
my next step to get it to work.

Larry

bill

do u have another computer on your network? I have 2
computers in my home w/ Comcast cable wiredmodem. Only
one was originally configured with comcast software. Tried
to set up Microsoft wireless G Kit (MN700 Base) to
nonconfigured computer and could not get it to recognize
the base station. (BTW, did u disable all firewalls?)
Tried setup on configured computer and it recognized base
station.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Dear Larry,

On Win98, the Setup CD that came with the MN-700 can work
well in installing the wireless adapter (it automatically
prompts you to add Windows Installer and Windows Plug and
Play, for example), but never tried setting up my base
station with it. Remember to plug the adapter in BEFORE
you try the Setup CD.

You may have to setup the MBNU (Microsoft Broadband
Network Utility) separately. Its on the CD. With the
MBNU in place, you should be able to detect if the MN-700
is operational under "Adapter Setting" and "Available
Networks".